Question for the younger folks

Options
jhmomofmany
jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
I don't want to sound like a crabby old woman, but are Thank You Cards a thing of the past? If so, that's really a shame. A general "shout out" on FB doesn't quite cut it for things like wedding gifts, IMHO.

Replies

• fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Not at all a thing of the past. Who said FB was appropriate for that?
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options

^ I totally agree.

If someone thinks that saying thanks on FB cuts it, they're just lazy.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options

^ I totally agree.

If someone thinks that saying thanks on FB cuts it, they're just lazy.

I also agree.
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    And you don't sound like a crabby old woman at all :laugh:
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always mail handwritten thank you cards (my wedding, wedding shower, baby shower, baptisms). People seem surprised to get them.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    Thank you cards are NOT in the past. I'd rather get a handwritten note/card than a FB message!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Personalized thank you's are a must for more than just weddings. I hate that people think it is acceptable to send everything via internet/media. Not cool!
  • Sweetout
    Sweetout Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I don't qualify as younger folk...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I don't qualify as younger folk...

Yes you do....
    ..now have you seen the price on a box or individual thank you card!?!
    Then the stamp!!
    OMG I would go broke!

Can I just like your status?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Weddings, showers, all that kinda stuff still require a thank you card. I believe etiquette allows up to one year (although I would be horrified to take so long.)

Less formal stuff like a birthday gift doesn't get a physical card from me anymore though, usually just an email note or similar.
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    No Thank You cards are still required....... If you were raised to understand manners.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Weddings, showers, all that kinda stuff still require a thank you card. I believe etiquette allows up to one year (although I would be horrified to take so long.)

Less formal stuff like a birthday gift doesn't get a physical card from me anymore though, usually just an email note or similar.

this
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are not a crabby old woman. You come from the generation of hard work. Social media is the worst way to thank someone if that is their sole way of doing it. Nothing wrong with doing it AFTER sending a thank you card, IMHO. But don't get caught up in the whole tehnology/social media aspect of things when it comes to properly thanking someone for something as important as a wedding or whatever it is you're thanking them for. Cards are a physical characteristic, and with a special message provides much more gratification and positive emotion than an electronic post for the world to see. I'm sure whoever you're thanking would appreciate a card more than a post and we can all agree.
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    NOT a thing of the past. I received a Thank You card for attending my friend's graduation party and even a Thank You card from my mother for throwing her a surprise birthday dinner.

FB is not an acceptable medium for sending thanks for wedding gifts and such. That person is rude!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

To the bolded, it is a year to send the gift. For instance, you get married today, your family can technically send you a gift up through next June 18th and consider it a wedding gift. If you receive a gift, you should have your TY notes sent within 2 weeks, but no longer than 3 months.

To answer the OP's question: yes and no. Some people still do them, but others don't know to/just don't send them. I (personally) think weddings, baby/wedding showers, and other large gift giving events still require them. I know several people around my age who don't realize you're supposed to send TY notes. It kind of makes me sad.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I am a grown, fully independent woman, and I still fear the butt whooping I'd receive from my mother if I didn't send thank-you notes. If someone is doing that via FB it's not because they're young or old, it's because they're lazy and ill-mannered. Period.
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Not at All! I would much rather give and receive a thank you card. Sad but some of us don't know appropriate ettiquette when it comes to gift response.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    They are a thing of the past if your parents never taught you that it was proper etiquette to send them. Really this should be a question for the parents of the younger folks.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm with you there though only a year younger than you. And I don't have facebook so I get to avoid messages like that and only hear from people who really want to wish me a happy birthday on my birthday.

I'm also pretty sure my kids are the only ones who write and mail letters/cards to their grandparents and great-grandparents. The others will text or post on facebook.