Zumba?

Options
I just received my Zumba Gold dvd today, and got all excited. Good thing I already had done my 60 minutes on elliptical because I am so disappointed!! Had hoped I would find a good cardio program to switch with as using my elliptical every day is getting boring. (I need to try stay low impact due to old back injury)

This Zumba Gold barely raised my heart rate! :mad:

Does anyone know other Zumba programs out there that might be more challenging (to do at home)?

Thanks!!:smile:

Replies

• claytonv08
    Options
    I have the wii u console and I love it. I have all the zumba games and they definitely get your heart rate up. I am drenched in sweat at the end of my workouts and I have lost10lbs so far.
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to be picked up for my Zumba class as I type this. Lately, I've been sweating buckets! But the DVDs at home barely touch the sides. Our instructor watches each person in the class, and if they're not sweating, they ramp it up! you just don't get that with a DVD
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    The Zumba DVDs are lower intensity than a real class and are lower than the standard choreographies the instructors get. The highest intensity comes from Zumba instructors who do their own choreography.

You look too young for Zumba Gold anyway :)
  • huckabeebug
    huckabeebug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have zumba fitness total body workout set. It has like 5 or 6 disks. I love it! Escpeially the Cardio Disk. Really gets me sweating. My boyfriend even uses it.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the wii u console and I love it. I have all the zumba games and they definitely get your heart rate up. I am drenched in sweat at the end of my workouts and I have lost10lbs so far.

Maybe I need to look into the wii...don't have it and I always thought it looks like fun!
  • skruttan44
    Options
    The Zumba DVDs are lower intensity than a real class and are lower than the standard choreographies the instructors get. The highest intensity comes from Zumba instructors who do their own choreography.

You look too young for Zumba Gold anyway :)

You know I was wondering if the Zumba Gold was different fro mother Zumbas! But I am sort of on the edge to be a baby boomer...and I didn't realize it was "special" lol :smile:

Love your horse, I have 2 Arabians and one half Arabian :heart:
  • skruttan44
    Options
    I have zumba fitness total body workout set. It has like 5 or 6 disks. I love it! Escpeially the Cardio Disk. Really gets me sweating. My boyfriend even uses it.

is that from the zumba.com website?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Wii Zumba. I like the Zumba Fitness 2; I have a lot of fun and definitely get my heart rate up!
  • inadequatelyadequate
    Options
    It may sound dorky, but DDR (dance dance revolution) is how I lost/toned christmas weight a few years ago. I used it on xbox. It's relatively easy and safe on the back if you're careful with the touching the mat with your had on the harder levels.

The most significant weight loss I ever had was with zumba, but I also went to the "regular" level 3 days a week and the advanced zumba 2 days a week at the gym. Lost like 20 lbs in a little over a month and had tank like calves haha.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    +1 Wii Zumba for a bigger burn find a class. This week I burned my first ever Zumba 1000k workout.

98b158db-57d3-4fea-afa7-efce7fc58ba4_zpsc82b36fd.jpg
  • Marguarretthe
    Marguarretthe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Zumba Gold is for seniors.... try finding a Zumba Cardio class... it will definitely get your HR up!!
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have 3 Zumba workout sets; Total Body Transformation, Exhilarate and Incredible Results. The Super Cardio Party DVD in the Incredible Results set has cardio bursts during each routine. Really gets the heart pumping. And Zumba Step routine really works up quite a sweat too. Incredible Results is the one I'm doing now because it really helps tone too. Zumba is basically the only exercise I do, becuase it's the only exercise that keeps me interested enough to keep it up.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on youtube. I even have my own playlist if you want to check it out
  • AnelDB
    AnelDB Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The Zumba Gold is lower intensity meant for seniors, but Zumba is a great workout. You can burn over 500 calories in an hour.
    Try to find a class, which is way more fun, and you will make great friends. My Zumba class actually has mostly women from their 50's - 70's. The instructor doesn't take it easy, but everyone dances out at their own pace.

The regular DVDs are a great workout. After I had my 1st daughter, the videos and walking is how I got back in shape. I have the first and second versions, but actually didn't love the latest set they offer.

I've also compiled a list of Zumba workouts by putting together several YouTube videos.

There is also an App for the iPad for Zumba that follows your movements.

Don't give up on Zumba, if you love to dance--especially Salsa--you will love it.
  • skruttan44
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions, I will take them all into consideration as Zumba looks like a lot of fun to me!

The wii really appeals to me as it seems as if one can do all kind of other exercises as well.

I had no idea that the Zumba Gold was for seniors :tongue: no wonder it didn't work for me.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You know I was wondering if the Zumba Gold was different fro mother Zumbas! But I am sort of on the edge to be a baby boomer...and I didn't realize it was "special" lol :smile:

Love your horse, I have 2 Arabians and one half Arabian :heart:

If you're pretty active and without injuries, then yea Zumba Gold will be way too easy for you. Honestly, I think it's just a buzzword because ANYONE can do "regular" Zumba and keep up if it's modified correctly. One of the women in the Zumba class I go to is a good 80 years old and still keeps up with everyone just fine - we just had to teach her how to modify the first few sessions until she learned what kinds of steps she felt happy/comfortable doing when everyone else was doing something too hard. Jumping is a big no for her so we taught her some ballet steps and some fitness steps that she could use as options.

So if you find a step that you just can't do, feel free to PM me with an explanation of what the step looks like and I can tell you a modification for it. I have my Zumba license, but I'm currently not teaching right now.

Arabians are awesome! He's my <3 horse for sure!

Oh heck...sending a friend request!