150 Calorie Ice Cream Pints?

Options
I normally buy the real deal because I loveeee ice cream and will save my calories for it, but I saw these at Walmart the other day and picked up the chocolate one to try it. Well, of course the taste is subpar which is to be expected... Wondering if anyone ever tried any of the other flavors and if any are worth it? Any side effects you've experienced?

Also, before anyone jumps in - yes I am aware that they have been cited for incorrect calorie counts. Even at a higher calorie count, still not bad. Read here if you are interested: http://www.today.com/id/48596412/ns/today-today_news/t/rossen-reports-can-you-believe-diet-frozen-dessert-labels/#.U6GuovnIZWc

Artic Zero ice cream - 150 calories per pint.
http://www.arcticzero.com/

Replies

• Zhryla
    Zhryla Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought a cookies and cream one and it tasted like dirt. I threw it out, wasted like $4 but oh well. Best I've found is small portions of the Blue Bunny or Blue Bell sugar free. Waaaay lower in calories than the low fat and light versions.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Not worth it. Run away.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've heard of that ice cream as something low-carbers can eat, but also heard it tastes awful. I prefer Breyers no sugar added ice creams or the carb smart varient. Both have 5 net carbs and taste just like regular ice cream. However, if they made a pint for 150 calories, my brain would explode with utter joy.....
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that stuff tastes like frozen protein shake. I would rather eat a moderate portion of real ice cream than a spoonful of that garbage. Portion control is key: it allows you to enjoy the stuff you like like ice cream, butter, etc. without having to settle for sub par imposter foods.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Up to 60% more calories than claimed on label. I'd rather either eat the real stuff or not at all.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Awful. Just don't. Not worth it.

Edy's slow churned is really good ice cream. Only 90 calories for a serving of Neapolitan and I usually have two.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Expensive and not really all that great. I really like the Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers stuff though.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this kind, but I did get some pints at Kroger that have 150 calories for half a cup. They're included in the $10/10, and have 4 servings per container. I rather liked the Rocky Road because I love almonds, but all the flavors have been delightful. I add a banana and two cherries on top at the end of a day when I have extra calories ;)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i haven't heard one good thing about them. my suggestion is not to waste your $ on that garbage. IMO it is best to try to practice moderation and allow yourself to eat real ice cream or gelato.....although occasionally i will get skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. i like the mint & chocolate ones. (the snickerdoodle ones quickly became my new favorite, but i think they were limited edition because now i can't find them. :sad: )

edit to add that someone above mentioned edy's slow churned. while i haven't tried it yet i have had several people recommend it, so sounds like it is worth checking out.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you already expect the taste to be subpar why would you even bother? And for your question they all taste horrible, if you want ice cream have a small portion of the real stuff.

I've set one rule for myself during all of this don't eat anything I don't fully enjoy.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Even at only a 150 calories, it wasn't worth it to me. (I tried the PB and Chocolate one.) I'd rather have just a 1/2 cup serving of Blue Bell and actually enjoy it than have a whole pint and not enjoy it.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Expensive and not really all that great. I really like the Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers stuff though.

you can buy skinny cow ice cream cups if sandwiches and bars arent your thing. they are really good.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to eat a pint of coffee ice-cream easy. When I went vegan my options were almond or coconut milk ice-cream. So delicious coconut milk chocolate flavor (s) are amazing. And really rich, so 1/2 cup is more than enough. Not low cal/or fat, but just an idea to consume less per say
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I bought the cookies and cream the other day. It was $4.99 at Fresh and Easy. Way too expensive for a pint. It tasted similar to cookies and cream but kind of had a coffee taste to it. It was weird and icy and not really that good. I took a bite but she ate the rest of it. She loves ice cream. She is even willing to try the vanilla. I wouldn't waste my money on it!! I would rather just have 1/2 cup of regular or slow churned real ice cream. Tastes 10 times better!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I think there was a thread about this not too long ago that had a study in it that Arctic Zero Ice Cream actually had 68% more calories than they claim.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There was also a report on Artic Ice saying it is not actually 150 calories. So bye artic ice, never again will eat it.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I actually like it - I've tried both the coffee and the cookies and cream, and enjoyed them both. I like the iciness and the comparative "lightness". it's not ice cream, but i think it is tasty :)