sweet tea without sugar or honey is it possible

Options
salvationsdying
salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
I don't like honey and I want to cut some of my calories out by cutting out some sugar but I don't like regular unsweet tea is there any ideas you guys have of how I can make sweet tea without sugar or honey? I know I need more water trust me, but sometimes I really want some hot tea. Also I don't care for green tea. Someone told me once before to try it instead.

Replies

• salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've had lemon before. So that I can deal with lol. I like it
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is to use less sugar (1 tsp) and then let your tea cool some before drinking, which makes the sweet taste stronger because the whole experience is less... hot (SCIENCE!).

Otherwise I just budget some calories for hot tea with milk and sugar.
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Stevia in tablet form is totally natural and very good. Splenda is great too. I use both regularly.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Try some other fruit flavoured teas or infusions - I like a vanilla rooibos, but there's plenty of honey/ ginger or berry flavoured varieties.

How are you with just a slice of lemon in hot water?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Stevia works well with tea, especially lemon tea
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I read when I was a teenager that if you can stick out drinking tea with no sugar for 10 days, you won't want it any more. At the time I drank it with two sugars, so I thought I'd give it a go. It actually worked.
    However, if that's too much to suffer through, there are plenty of alternative sweeteners out there. In any case, your average tea with 2 sugars is still probably less sugary than a fizzy drink...
  • jasneet12
    jasneet12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy an apple tea in a local shop close to my work place. These are the closest recipes I have found to the tea (they refuse to give their recipe out). However the one I drink; has 2-3 fresh pieces of apple in it.

Hot Buttered Apple Tea
    Ingredients
    12 cups of water
    2 Family sized tea bags
    ½ cup apple butter
    Directions

Follow instructions on tea bags and while tea is hot, add apple butter. This smells and tastes so delicious - it is like a warm mulled cider.

Turkish Apple Tea
    Ingredients:

Servings:
    4-6

8 ounces sliced dried apples
    2 cinnamon sticks
    4 whole cloves
    6 cups cold water
    honey

Place all the ingredients except the honey into a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat & simmer for 15 minutes.
    Strain the hot tea into a teapot. Make sure to gently push on the apples to remove all the liquid.
    Sweeten with honey, if needed, then pour into tea glasses.

Alternatively, you can also add dried raisins to the water while boiling it for a natural sweetness.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think sweetened tea is kinda gross, but if I wanted to sweeten it without using sugar, I'd use stevia. :drinker:

P.S. That Turkish apple tea recipe (above) looks kind of yummy. I might have to try it.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    Stevia in tablet form is totally natural and very good. Splenda is great too. I use both regularly.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy an apple tea in a local shop close to my work place. These are the closest recipes I have found to the tea (they refuse to give their recipe out). However the one I drink; has 2-3 fresh pieces of apple in it.

Hot Buttered Apple Tea
    Ingredients
    12 cups of water
    2 Family sized tea bags
    ½ cup apple butter
    Directions

Follow instructions on tea bags and while tea is hot, add apple butter. This smells and tastes so delicious - it is like a warm mulled cider.

Turkish Apple Tea
    Ingredients:

Servings:
    4-6

8 ounces sliced dried apples
    2 cinnamon sticks
    4 whole cloves
    6 cups cold water
    honey

Place all the ingredients except the honey into a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat & simmer for 15 minutes.
    Strain the hot tea into a teapot. Make sure to gently push on the apples to remove all the liquid.
    Sweeten with honey, if needed, then pour into tea glasses.

Alternatively, you can also add dried raisins to the water while boiling it for a natural sweetness.

These look awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I'd use stevia to sweeten anything

Edit: Agave is another option, but if you don't like the flavour that honey leaves, it might not be for you... Stevia is pretty much flavourless (other than the sweetness)
  • jasneet12
    jasneet12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I read when I was a teenager that if you can stick out drinking tea with no sugar for 10 days, you won't want it any more. At the time I drank it with two sugars, so I thought I'd give it a go. It actually worked.
    However, if that's too much to suffer through, there are plenty of alternative sweeteners out there. In any case, your average tea with 2 sugars is still probably less sugary than a fizzy drink...

to be truly honest; once you get used to tea without sugar; its really difficult to go back to sweet tea. I stopped using sugar in my tea more than 10 years ago; I kept reducing the amount of sugar in my cup over time and soon I was used to the taste without sugar. Today; with the exception of the apple tea; I dont like tea or coffee with even a quarter spoon of sweetness in it.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet, Canderel), Sucralose (Splenda, Nevella), Stevia (Truvia, Natvia)...

Splenda is my all-time favourite. But each to their own.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I infuse 6 green tea bags in boiling water. I then add about a couple of quarts of cold filtered water, fresh lemon juice and TBS of Stevia in the raw. I put this in a large jug and keep in the frig for drinking all day.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a good choice. Or you can add sugar free lemonade mix to tea. You can use flavored tea.
  • FarmallMom71
    FarmallMom71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with stevia but I also like wylers sugar free (they make a sweet peach tea) on the go single packets for water bottles -Good for when you are out and about to get rid of them sweet temptations like pesky sugary drinks. Keeps me on track. I find them for 1$ for 8 at the dollar general store and at the grocery store.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Hot Buttered Apple Tea
    Ingredients
    12 cups of water
    2 Family sized tea bags
    ½ cup apple butter
    Directions

I have raspberry butter at home, I wonder how that would taste. I may have to try it tonight.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet, Canderel), Sucralose (Splenda, Nevella), Stevia (Truvia, Natvia)...

^This. Except my favorite is NutraSweet.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stevia!!!

I actually have a tea/stevia giveaway on my blog right now :P
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea, without sugar.

What's the point?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

^This. Except my favorite is NutraSweet.

I'm a Equal kinda girl.