Weight Loss/Gain and Relationships (Family, Spouse, Friends)

Options
Hi there, I am just curious how your weight loss or gain has played a role in your life, as far as your relationships with the people around you.

Just interested...

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Its funny because when you struggle you know who your friends are because those same friends confirm that when you do well! Just my experience.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you do really find out who is in your corner . . . you will have some who embrace and encourage your journey, and others who openly criticize or sabotage your efforts.
    Thankfully I have "mostly" very supportive family and friends. In fact, my husband has completely embraced and joined me to work toward a healthier future so my journey so far has been very positive.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I was in college/working I was very social. Once I got married and started having kids things, including my weight, changed. I attribute the social changes to having kids and settling down, not my weight. My personality hasn't changed much, my weight hasn't affected who I am.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I met my fiance... our first two years together I gained 40 lbs! I was eating everything he was eating and not exercising! I really regret it because I was in college and I feel like those two years (sophomore and junior) were just kind of lost. I never felt like going out and I wore sweatpants constantly. Middle of my junior year I just decided I was tired of being fat (after looking at the previous summer's beach pictures) and I lost the 40 lbs. I was feeling fantastic about myself and then over the next two years after that I gained about 20 lbs (at least this time it was only 20 and I realized it earlier!) Also, while last time my fiance did not gain anything.. this time he gained with me. Now our wedding is coming up in June and we both want to get back to our best bodies and feel confident and awesome on our big day!

I definitely think it's true that you eat like the people around you. My freshman year of college (before I met my fiance) all of the other girls ate only salads and went to the gym every day... so of course so did I! I looked and felt great! I think its important to get those closest to you to support you and even join you in your healthy lifestyle!
  • Amcantar
    Amcantar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My two close girl friends have made news years resolutions to loose weights, but when we went out to a Diner last week we all god burgers, fries, quesadillas xD We just couldn't resist! When we spend time together, we like to snack, and mostly, prepare yummy drinks ;3 It's been a little hard, because we've had set fun ways, but now I guess it's up to all of us to be strong and accountable for each other, without bringing each other down. Sometimes it's hard to suggest to your friend they buy a salad with you, no one wants to make their friend feel bad, but it's equally hard for me to resist the peer pressure that switched me from a salad of my own to a gooey cheesy quesedilla. Hopefully, friends can be support structures, same with family, but there will always be a struggle.
  • amapp
    amapp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My relationships are great and I try to surround myself with like minded people who understand loosing weight isn't all about looking good but really about being healthy. We all come in different shapes and sizes and can be healthy and unhealthy in many different shapes and sizes.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I have been working out and dieting together for the past 3 months or so. It has brought us a lot closer.