Dal

Options
ils_1231
ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
Anyone have any great Dal/Lentil recipes?

Replies

• Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pressure cooker? I have a delicious recipe for channa dal.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    i dont -- is that absolutely necessary?? haha i would like to say im a poor student, but really its just that i live like one.
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I weigh and boil green lentils, let them cool and mix with a huge green salad with loads of vinegar! A great lunch.

Or a daal curry: onion, garlic, ginger, chopped tomatoes, cumin, ground coriander, turmeric (or just sharwoods curry powder), and cooked red lentils.

Love legumes! Chickpeas are great too.

Loads of recipes on the web.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    yes please!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    when I was able to eat carbs, I made dal all the time.

I put about 1/2 pound yellow split peas into a small crock pot, cover with about 2" of chicken broth, a clove of garlic, some onion, salt & some saffron.

Once the dal has become tender (a couple of hours or so) I heat oil in a small pot, add a couple of slices of onion,chili pepper, clove of garlic & some whole geera seeds. Put the geera seeds in last as when they heat up, they pop out of the pot.

Then toss the contents of the hot oil pot into dal (careful, this may splash up). Season with salt to taste.

You could of course do this on the stove top.

Anyway, I'm from Trinidad & this is the way my mom taught me to make it.

eta: yellow split peas :laugh:
  • ils_1231
    Options
    yummm --- that sounds good and the roomie has a crock pot!
  • crsgoblue
    crsgoblue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    the above recipe....ground saffron is also known as ground tumeric :wink: Not to be confused with the crocus threads 'safron' :blushing:
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Ooh I love LOVE daal, dhal, it is so good. I will have a look through my recipes and post them for you.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    ^^ much appreciated! please do!
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I make a dish called kichadi or kitchari depending on which site you're on. It's dal, Jasmine rice and spices.

It's often advertised as a cleanse but if you add lots of vegetables, other spices/dressings and protein it's definitely not a cleanse.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    haha saying thanks again!

amazing will try this immediately!
  • Tingababoo
    Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I can't WAIT to try that Dal Recipe - by the Dal Expert hahahaha ;)
    I use a pressure cooker to make my other dal recipes with the Chaunk/Seasoning
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am the Dal expert.

For channa dal (split chick pea) you most definitely need a pressure cooker.

But you can make other kinds of dal fairly quickly. Look up "masoor" dal. I made it yesterday in 20 min.

If that interest you, let me know I will give you the recipe.

Can I have the pressure cooker recipe? I have
    2 lbs. of Toor Dal I want to use! I have an old
    8 quart pressure cooker that will go up to 15 psi.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :creeps:
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Green Lentil Dish
    3/4 cup lentils, soak in water overnight, washed and drained
    1 onion, finely chopped
    50 ml extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp cumin
    3 tbsp crushed tomatoes, canned
    1 tbsp orzo, optional
    2 cups warm chicken stock or beef stock or just water

Saute the onion with olive oil for about 3-4 minutes. Add the lentils and saute for another 4-5 minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes at medium-low heat until the lentils are soften, stir occasionally.

Makes 2-3 servings.

Red Lentil Soup
    1 cup red lentils, washed and drained
    1 onion, chopped
    1 small carrot, chopped
    1 tbsp crushed tomato, canned
    1 tsp red pepper paste
    1 1/2 cubes beef bouillon (or chicken/veggie/or just plain salt)
    3 cups water

Place all the main ingredients in a medium-sized pot. Cook for about 20 minutes on medium-low heat. Then mix thoroughly using a blender. If necessary (too thick), add more hot water. Pour into soup bowls using a ladle.
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I make a soup with lentils, butternut squash and kale. You can easily swap different kinds of lentils, use a different type of squash or even sweet potatoes instead of butter nut and another type of green instead of kale. The lemon zest is optional, but I think it gives a great lift to the soup.

Basic Recipe:

200 grams lentils - picked over, rinsed and drained
    1 small squash, peeled and cut into very small cubes (or 1 large sweet potato)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 large or 2 small carrots, diced
    1-2 stalks of celery, chopped
    200 grams chopped kale
    1 large tomato, chopped (I've also been known to use canned or even cherry tomatoes that weren't fit for salad but not bin-ready)
    1 mild (or spicy, if you prefer) chili, diced
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1" knob of ginger, grated
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp turmeric (optional, you can also use 1 tsp curry powder)
    1 tbs oil or butter
    4-5 cups stock (or water and bouillon)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1-2 tsp lemon zest, or to taste (optional)

Heat oil in pan, saute onions, carrots and celery until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, chili, turmeric and ginger and cook until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except kale and lemon zest. Simmer until the lentils cooked and squash/potatoes are tender (20-30 minutes) Stir in kale and heat until it is wilted and soft but not overdone. Stir in lemon zest and serve.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look in to it!