Good God This is Tough

Options
I've never failed at anything, not truly, and when I started my weight loss back in February I was headed to success. I changed my diet, added exercise and within 4 months went from 270 to 230. I was on cloud nine. Then approximately 20 days ago I failed for the first time. I lost my first job. Yeah it was company cutbacks and I was the newest member, but I still took that blow so hard I couldn't get up for days. I gained back 5 pounds and was miserable.
About 15 days ago I sat myself down and said "you are 22 years old, this isn't the end of your success, its a hiccup" I tuned up my resume, started applying and got myself back on track. Despite being home all day and having the endless temptation all day of being able to munch and snack, I set a goal for myself and started walking around town and kept working toward that weight loss goal.
When I stepped on the scale this morning for my weekly weigh in I was down to 224. I was ecstatic. This afternoon I got a call for a job interview for a position I was really interested in. So call it a deity, call it karma, call it luck. I call it hard work and determination to better myself and determination to be where I want to be and yeah, life will kick you in the shins and watch you curse and fall, but I dont think thats a reason to stop.

When life gives you lemons, find some tinfoil and make batteries.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Some of our greatest growing experiences come from failure. Good for you for coming through this.

Thank-you for not making lemonade with your lemons. It's so cliché! :laugh:
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the success and good job for keeping motivated!

I was in the exact same situation a few weeks ago. Until then I had been unemployed for a while and desperately looking for work. Sitting at home and writing cover letters all day was depressing and frustrating, especially as I continued to get rejection emails. I wanted nothing more than to turn to the cupboard and eat everything that I wasn't supposed to eat. Instead, I utilized my spare time to get fit. Now since I've found work (hurray!) it is now a habit that sticks.

Life is tough in some areas but it doesn't need to stop us completely in other areas. That was one thing I needed to remind myself. Sure, I was unemployed and didn't have much money, but I still had a perfectly able body that could be toned up and made healthy.
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Love the attitude! Congrats on the weight loss and job! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 70 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Awesome attitude and congrats on the weight loss and the new job! :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree, great attitude... it reminds me of what my ice hockey coach used to say.... it's not so much about how hard you can hit, it's more about how hard you can get hit and still get up and get back in the game. I always thought that was good life advice, not just good hockey advice. No-one gets through a game of hockey without getting some hard hits. No-one gets through life without getting knocked down either.

And I think batteries are a more useful thing to make from lemons than lemonade :drinker:
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! :smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Life is tough and you have a lot of living still to do. Good luck and keep your positive attitude. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I've always adhered to this:

"It's your Attitude, not your Aptitude that determines your Altitude."

I've had way more good times than bad in my life, but I do attribute a lot of it to optimism rather than pessimism.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you for giving everyone a little pick-me-up. It's hard to be positive when everything seems to be going wrong, but things do change and moping about only makes it worse. Your story is a good reminder to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep gonig. Congratulations, and good luck! :smile:
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats and you have an awesome attitude!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've never failed at anything, not truly, and when I started my weight loss back in February I was headed to success. I changed my diet, added exercise and within 4 months went from 270 to 230. I was on cloud nine. Then approximately 20 days ago I failed for the first time. I lost my first job. Yeah it was company cutbacks and I was the newest member, but I still took that blow so hard I couldn't get up for days. I gained back 5 pounds and was miserable.
    About 15 days ago I sat myself down and said "you are 22 years old, this isn't the end of your success, its a hiccup" I tuned up my resume, started applying and got myself back on track. Despite being home all day and having the endless temptation all day of being able to munch and snack, I set a goal for myself and started walking around town and kept working toward that weight loss goal.
    When I stepped on the scale this morning for my weekly weigh in I was down to 224. I was ecstatic. This afternoon I got a call for a job interview for a position I was really interested in. So call it a deity, call it karma, call it luck. I call it hard work and determination to better myself and determination to be where I want to be and yeah, life will kick you in the shins and watch you curse and fall, but I dont think thats a reason to stop.

When life gives you lemons, find some tinfoil and make batteries.

I just wanted to point out that this was NOT your first failure as it is not a failure at all. It was more a consequence of circumstances beyond your control. So your winning streak is still going strong. Had you been fired for lack of ability to do your job or for breaking company policy or something along those lines, it would be a failure (and perhaps a reason to feel badly). THIS was not your fault, therefore, not a failure. Be careful how you view the events of your life. This situation certainly merits disappointment, but you should not feel blame, guilt or whatever is was that rendered you incapable of getting up for days.

Other than that? I admire your determination and take charge attitude. Good for you and congrats on both the new job and the weight loss. :drinker:
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Learning from failure is one of life's great achievements. Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert cartoon, wrote a book called "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life." It's worth a read. I don't agree with everything in his approach to life, so what? There's still plenty of food for thought there.

Good job on the rebound.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's awesome! Congratulations and THANKS for sharing!! :smile:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Some of our greatest growing experiences come from failure. Good for you for coming through this.

Thank-you for not making lemonade with your lemons. It's so cliché! :laugh:

I like "when life gives you lemons... go find some salt and tequila"
  • handbagfan
    handbagfan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    MANY CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS, THATS AWESOME.:flowerforyou: :happy: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    YOU SHOULD BE PROUD AND HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH. HOPE THE JOB WORKS OUT.:bigsmile: