Atkins to MFP

Options
Hello everyone my name is Athena and this is all new to me but Im giving it my all as I want to lose around 120 pounds. I've always done the Atkins diet and yes as you can guess I must have fallen off the diet thats why Im here Ive done the diet on and off for the last 5 yrs I've lost 89pound gained it back with help of medical reasons then lost 70 pounds gained it all back and on and on so here I am I want a lifestyle not diet. I started MFP on Saturday and I have to say this is a very big change but I am loving the fact that I have a lot more to choose from for foods and feel alot better. Any advise will be greatly thanked.

Replies

• cogito78
    Options
    Athena, i have done a lot of atkins in my life as well. I also was a crazy athlete when i was younger into my mid twenties. These two elements created eating behaviors that lack something i think i have to work very hard to have a "lifestyle" and not a diet - that is moderation. MFP has been my best tool in reminding and rewarding a moderated lifestyle. Just keep at it and it will quickly condition you to make good decisions. Even if you know you are going to blow you calories by logging them it makes you realize how to approach the "dinner party" with tons of great food next time. It also has motivated me to exercise - 30 minutes won't kill ya on a walk and then you "won" for the day. I like "winning" with the goals on MFP. This daily actualization reinforces and strengthens your goals.
  • dsweise
    dsweise Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Athena! I'm new to MFP as well, but I can see it as being a great tool for a lifestyle change. I have lost about 100 lbs over the last 15 months (most of it prior to October) with Atkins but I realized it wasn't sustainable as I felt deprived and that I was missibng out on one of my biggest pleasures - a variety in what I eat. I'm trying to stay with more fruits and vegetables as well as lean proteins and I think it will work for me. The daily logging of what I ate is important as it allows me to realize exactly what I am eating and know what choices to make. I also have goals for the next year and those involve 2 triathlons and a century bike ride, besides losing 100 more lbs.