Anyone getting results with walking?

Options
hojo94
hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
I am not a "runner", I would like to be, but am a sally about it. I have started out with walking, and am at 3 miles in 49 min. I am wondering if anyone is getting results from walking, or if I should just put on the big girl panties and start running! I have been losing weight, but my clothes are not fitting much better as of yet... Just wondering what other people are doing, opinions, thoughts... :smile:

Replies

• crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I feel it is like any other exercise. You're going to lose weight eventually and you should stick with it, if only to build up your endurance to start running. Maybe, if you want to start running, look into the couch to 5K program? Not to run a 5K but to see how you could build yourself to running.

Hope that helps!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are walking at a pretty good clip, and pretty much walking the pace of my first 5k (running). Honestly, its more about distance covered, walking and running burn about the same caloried per mile, it just changes how fast you do it. So if you want to stay walking then walk, if you want to try running than try running. Just keep moving :)

this is a really great post for beginner runners if you do want to head in that direction:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

if you would like a newby running buddy feel free to add me :)
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In short, yes. I have lost over 100 pounds in about a year and a half and my primary exercise is walking. The lungs and heart can take the running, but my middle aged arthritic joints just can't. So, I walk. Granted, I walk very quickly (typically about 4.5 mph) and I walk a lot (I average 25-30 miles of fast walking per week in addition to other hiking and exercise). Walking will give you all of the cardio advantages running will, but it takes more time to get there.
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I am just kinda at that "why can't I just shed it" point, and needed to hear keep going! Thank you for the link 4legsRbettert, i will be checking it right away! And marilanica, seriously, way to go losing 100 pounds! Ok, I have got this... and can do it... BRING IT ON!
    Thanks again everyone!!!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere the calories used to walk a distance are virtually the same as running the only difference is walking takes a little longer. Do the exercise You are comfortable with and at a level you are happy at.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 3 months a few years ago by walking and watching my fat intake. I was 232 lbs and I started walking 2 miles a day, eventually working up to 5 miles a day, 6 days a week. When my weight loss stalled, I started jogging some.
  • Lilenatalem
    Lilenatalem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere the calories used to walk a distance are virtually the same as running the only difference is walking takes a little longer. Do the exercise You are comfortable with and at a level you are happy at.

This is exactly what my trainer says. 1 mile = 100 calories, it doesn't matter if you do that in 7 mins running or in 20 min walking, its still just 100 calories.
    I walk because I have to take 2 and 3 year old with me on them because I am a stay at home mom. I would love to jog, but these knees aren't happy with that yet at this weight. But my goal is def jogging and putting the money down for a jogging stroller at some point. =D