Tracking Food

Options
Hello, all! This is my first time using MFP and I have a question on tracking your food. I was wondering if when you are searching for a food to add do you trust that whatever the search brings up is accurate or do you go ahead and add all of your foods on your own? Thanks!

Replies

• KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what it is.

I try to look at packaging and if it sounds about right, I trust it but this only tends to work for store-bought items.

Some Homemade recipes are not accurate in my opinion as we all have our own ways cooking things and buying our ingredients from separate sources.

It's all trial and error, begin small and allow momentum to gain by creating meals and foods that suit your plate!

Kaela x
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No no. Everything in the database is NOT accurate. Check to see if they have confirmations. Overestimate if you're not sure.

I usually add my own food.
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    I just check the info listed on the site vs. what's on the nutrition label. If they match, I use it. I only add things that aren't already in the system OR if the product is listed but the info is off based on the label in front of me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Nope, always verify, sometimes there are different versions from different countries or different sizes or just people putting incorrect information in. OP gives all sorts of advice and handy tips in the above link. I would advise reading it if you have time.
  • jsnwllsy
    jsnwllsy Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you for the read! I will definitely check it out!
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Welcome....

I use NutritionData.com. I double check everything to make sure. I agree with all the posts above, there are some really inaccurate food entries out there.