What to eat at a Mexican restaurant?

Options
My family is going to a little local Mexican restaurant tonight and I'm not sure what to eat. I am doing a low carb/low sugar plan so obviously chips and salsa is off limits. I'm trying to decide ahead of time what to order. There is something called pollo chorizo which is a chicken breast and chorizo sausage with white cheese on it. It is served with rice, which I will be skipping. I also thought about chicken fajitas and just not eat the flour tortillas. I have no idea how to figure the nutritional data on the food there, and the staff speaks very little English so asking them would be futile. I'm not sure all the oil in fajitas would be best, but I don't know about the other option either. I'm open to suggestions and opinions. This is a special dinner for my son, otherwise, I would just eat at home.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I go for mexican food at mexican restuarants usually.

I would just say stick to below your calorie limit for the day and you are good, but since you are doing low carb and such......sucks to be you!

That is why I stick with calories in vs calories out.
    No restaurant or food is off limits.

Goodluck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat huevos con chorizo and a side of guacamole. There is an entry in MFP for a cup of the huevos con chorizo and I just use that to track it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Not eating or limiting carbs while eating mexican = why bother
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get fa-gee-ta's

yeah I said it. I only eat fa-gee-ta's.

and chips. and salsa
    and margarita's...

and more chips and salsa.
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I usually get the chicken fajitas with NO tortillas, and grab 10 chips and put them on a napkin in front of me and that's all I allow myself to eat, other wise I'd eat the whole dang bowl of chips. OR the taco salad without the shell :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    everything!!!!!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are usually a pretty smart choice for lower calories...
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I always do chicken or steak fajitas and skip the tortillas. I figure leaner meats and vegatables (sure theres some oil in there) has to be healthier than all of those other delicious mexican foods that are filled with rice and cheese and chorizo. Mmmmmm mexican nom nom nom.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I always go for a burger. with red chili and jalapenos. and cheese. and chips. and salsa. usually about 1200 calories.
  • CorydonCutie22
    Options

As I said it is a special occasion for my son. Otherwise I would eat at home.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    beano-o
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas have fewer calories than flour and are delicious. Also, not everything at a Mexican restaurant is draped in cheese and red sauce. At the more authentic places in Chicago, tacos are served with nothing but a little queso fresco, pickled red onion, and cilantro. Delicious.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I usually get an order of carne asada tacos and a jumbo margarita
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I usually get the chicken fajitas with NO tortillas, and grab 10 chips and put them on a napkin in front of me and that's all I allow myself to eat, other wise I'd eat the whole dang bowl of chips. OR the taco salad without the shell :)

sounds perfect. only eat 1/2 if its too much….. salsa is good for you
    and a skinny margarita or corona light for 100 cal..
  • amw1919
    amw1919 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hardshell chicken tacos tend to run about 220 calories each. Fish tacos are even less. Not sure about the carbs.
  • wuuzie
    wuuzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! Have a fun time tonight! I would probably have the tortilla soup and the taco salad without the shell. Usually the soup has tortilla chip strips so you could probably eat them just fine. And maybe since it's a special dinner you could do just a few chips. :D
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My favorite place always run a fish taco special. It's grilled whatever fish is on hand with salsa, pickled onions, and slaw on a corn tortilla. Add some hot sauce (and a margarita), and I'm a happy little girl. Their shrimp tacos (replace slaw with avocado crema and corn tortilla with flour tortilla) are righteous, too.

ETA: Ha! I forgot my picture is me in said restaurant complete with margarita!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

As I said it is a special occasion for my son. Otherwise I would eat at home.

If it's a special occasion for your son then ditch your "diet" for a day.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I get fa-gee-ta's

yeah I said it. I only eat fa-gee-ta's.

and chips. and salsa
    and margarita's...

and more chips and salsa.

This...

and...
    everything!!!!!
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with the consensus of fajitas with no tortillas. I also like the idea of picking out 10 chips and limiting yourself to that, if you have the willpower. As for logging, I would do a bit of investigating, and then use your best guesses and pre-log it. As long as you try to stick with your pre-logged plan, even if you go over it won't be by an astronomical amount. Then just get back on your regular diet the next day. Also, don't be surprised if you initially see 2-5 pounds gain from the sodium. You would have to eat a crazy amount of food to gain that amount overnight, but high sodium restaurant food can cause a temporary water weight gain. Good luck and try to enjoy this splurge!