What to eat at a Mexican restaurant?

Options
2»

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, I know! Some beans, tortillas, cheese... what? Oh, that's not what you were looking for?

Try ordering what you want and pre-portioning it by asking for a to-go box when you get your food. Cut all of your portions in half or quarters and close up the box to take home. Enjoy what's left in front of you while visiting with friends/family.

Boom.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If this is a special celebration for your son, go out enjoy it and make the night about him and not worrying about what you are eating, tomorrow get right back to work.
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Mexican as well tonight. I usually order the chicken taco salad, no shell, extra lettuce and tomato, hold the sour cream and ez on the cheese. I usually pour a little salsa on top and it's great. I leave feeling full but not bloated as I usually do eating Mexican.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If this is a special celebration for your son, go out enjoy it and make the night about him and not worrying about what you are eating, tomorrow get right back to work.

high five.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Or this. One day definitely won't kill you or set you back that much.

Enjoy being in your son's company. Everything is temporary.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Great advice
  • plcannon
    plcannon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My sister goes to a nutritionist and when going to a Mexican restaurant, she is advised to order the chicken fajitas with corn tortillas.
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    This is a special occasion. Eat what you want.

Just work out a little harder the next day.

One day of bad eating isn't going to make you fat, just like one day of salads isn't going to make you skinny. It's consistency in your diet.
  • ashleeadodd
    ashleeadodd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We make mexicanish a lot at home, try a chicken taco, and ask for a lettuce wrap instead of the taco shell! Most places will do it for you, saves several calories and carbs, and tastes just as good!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Since I am not fond of fried or mushy food, I stick to a skirt steak, like carne asada or Borrego (lamb shanks) . . . it probably is served with rice or beans, but you can focus on the meat and be picky about the rest of the plate.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, just read your whole post and saw you're low-carbing. My suggestion definitely didn't fit that.
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options

high five.

If you're like me.. do this.. WITHIN REASON! Because, yeah. I could eat 3000 cal without trying. But order something normal and limit your endless appetizer and drink two glasses of water while you're there and you shouldn't destroy your plan.

Have a good time!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Tostadas are good. Have the tostadas piled with lettuce tomatoes beans and little bit of cheese no sour cream no guac. Tostadas are moderate in cals because the food is limited to the size of the tostada(small). Ceviche is also good too. I would suggest other things but idk where you live or how authentic Mexican food is there. Here, I am an hour from the border so we have certain foods that other places don't have.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Do you know where you're going? You might able able to look at the menu beforehand online.

I completely agree that you could order whatever you like on this special occasion and shouldn't feel bad about it - but I understand that you might not be in that mindset right now. If what you WANT to do is order a light meal, then by all means go ahead. Whichever one is going to leave you happy and satisfied at the end of the night is what you should do.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Not eating or limiting carbs while eating mexican = why bother

As I said it is a special occasion for my son. Otherwise I would eat at home.

If it's a special occasion for your son then ditch your "diet" for a day.

I agree. When it's a special occasion, I try not to worry about it. I still log it as best I can, but indulge.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you have plenty of calories, fajitas are a good choice (although usually too salty for my tastes without the tortillas). Camarones a la diabla would be a solid option for days when you don't have a lot of calories to spare. More heat, less calories - assuming they make it nice and spicy, it's probably best to pair it with a double portion of salad/guac to avoid overheating. Some places will do a nice seafood platter that comes with a whole mix of things - ceviche, oysters, fried fish, and so on. All in all, there are usually plenty of good options - just look at the menu and make substitutions as needed. Hit your goals, don't stress over it and have a good time.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Not eating or limiting carbs while eating mexican = why bother

As I said it is a special occasion for my son. Otherwise I would eat at home.

If it's a special occasion for your son then ditch your "diet" for a day.
    Well its not THAT special of a day!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Typically taco salads without the shell with no dressing and no sour cream here.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I get fa-gee-ta's

yeah I said it. I only eat fa-gee-ta's.

and chips. and salsa
    and margarita's...

and more chips and salsa.

This...

and...
    everything!!!!!

+1000000000000000000000