Orienteering

helyg
helyg Posts: 675 Member
Does anyone do orienteering? I'm going to a beginners event tomorrow and am wondering what to expect. It looks like a fun way to burn a few calories.

Replies

• wainscottcm
    wainscottcm Posts: 4 Member
    I did orienteering in High School and absolutely LOVED it! It is such a great workout and it's fun competition. My hubby and me are planning on getting started again with our kids in September when our local organization opens back up and it gets cooler. The beginner courses won't burn a ton of calories but you'll quickly get to more advanced courses and that's where you will see some serious results. Just know that you'll be running through the woods so shorts are highly advised against. Bring sunscreen, an extra pair of shoes/clothes just in case you get muddy, wet, or end up snagging your shoes on something (it can happen), a whistle just in case you get lost (most of the time this is a requirement), water, bug repellent and a flat map compass which you can find at a sports store...that will help you read the maps that are given to you...they will show you how to use everything. Most of all....have fun!