Gluten Free Help

bunkahes
bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
I been on a gluten free diet for last few days, and i would like some friends that going on this path and understanding what i am facing, but i need to know what foods i am aloud to have, i been researching and researching and making really no sense of what i am gonna do for the future. I am gonna have food allergy test on july 1 2014.

Replies

• tekmuse
    tekmuse Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, welcome to gluten free eating. I have been gluten free for about 6 years now. I don't have celiac but do have an sensitivity to gluten. The challenge is finding foods that are gluten free that taste good. One of the issues is that to make the food taste good is for the manufacturer to load it down with sugar, salt and fats. I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged foods due to them not falling into a good caloric count, high in sugars and sodium. I read packages religiously and when I find something I do like I stick with it. Read the packaging and just make sure it falls into your calorie count for the day and it's under 1500 milligrams for sodium a day, and sugars and fats are within your daily limit. I think of old recipes I like and then google a way to make them gluten free. :)
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    I have coeliac and am gluten-free as a result. Do you know what tests you're going to have? I ask because you must have gluten in your diet every single day for 6 weeks before you have a blood test and/or endoscopy for the test to accurately detect anti-gluten antibodies. If you go gluten-free before being tested, you run the risk of a false negative. I don't know what other tests you might be getting, but a gluten intolerance/coeliac blood test or the endoscopy requires you to be consuming gluten in at least one meal daily.

My diary is open if it's any help, although my foods are mainly UK brands.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    > t i need to know what foods i am aloud to have

Stick with stuff not containing wheat, rye, or barley.

Esp. since you haven't had the allergy test yet, if you just forgo bread, cookies, muffins, pasta, crackers, doughnuts, etc etc you should be well on your way.

Eat more protein and veggies.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    There are loads of gluten free packaged foods out there and they are deceptive. Many people think that this automatically makes them healthy, when in reality, as one poster mentioned above me, they are actually full of added sugars and fats to compensate for the lack of flavor. I have been gluten free since March of this year for a method of fighting chronic inflammation. I recommend eating foods that are naturally gluten free. Foods like vegetables, fruits, lean meats, beans, rice, quinoa, nuts, seeds are all excellent choices and you'd be surprised how little you will miss gluten containing foods after a few weeks. The key is to really read the labels of any packaged food you do end up buying. Knowing what things are, and researching them if you don't, is the only way to learn. Take your smart phone (assuming you have one) to the grocery store with you the first several times you go shopping and get acquainted with nutrition labels and hidden sources of gluten. For instance, soy sauce is brewed with wheat. You'll get there, but there definitely is a learning curve. Stick with whole foods (obviously not cereal grains) for a while until you get the hang of packaged food labels. If you have any questions, please feel free to add me, I'm happy to help if I can.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    hey everyone, sorry took so long, the allergy test i am having is skin scrap test, for other food allergies, My doctor said i have high chance of having other allergies, i did 3 week no wheat or gluten feel much better, getting very creative in my meals, The doctor told me i would have a high chance of celiac but she told to totally stay away from it because it ended me up in the hospital