Anyone else with IBS managing it with diet?

Options
Hey guys! Just curious if there are other people out there who are afflicted with IBS and are managing it or attempting to manage it with diet?

I've been on a journey these past six months to get my IBS under control. It is SO much better than it was! Most of the time I am pain free which is a huge milestone for me.

I'm looking for people who are doing strict diet for IBS or those who are perhaps thinking about it and need support.

Add me to friends if you have IBS and want to or are treating it with diet!

Replies

• iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have modified my diet for several reasons - acne, IBS, migraines and overall weight loss. I have got all under much better control since changing my diet. No acne, IBS almost non-existent (stress does induce it still), less migraines.

I have cut back on wheat and dairy and increased fibre and take a daily probiotic pill. I have been amazed by the results!
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey that's amazing!! I've had to cut out wheat entirely as well as dairy (besides butter, which I seem to tolerate fine). For me it's a gamble as to which food will bother me and what it will cause... IBS C or IBS D.

Unfortunately with my kind of IBS I can't overdo it on the fiber or I have problems. From what I've seen and heard and read, IBS is really different for each person and triggers are different. I find it quite interesting.

I have to go 100% sugar free as well, which has not been easy. As hard as the diet is, it's harder to be in pain and discomfort constantly from the IBS.
  • patsypooter
    Options
    is bumping allowed? If so, bump. :)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have managed very similarly to iceey. I have been gluten free for almost a year now and that helped tremendously with the migraines which now only happen from extreme stress as well as tremendously helped with the IBS. I control my dairy portions carefully and make sure to not have more than 1-2 servings a day (and of those mostly yogurt or butter) and I take a probiotic twice a day with lunch and supper that seems to really help prevent digestive issues. Right now I am playing a lot with how much fibre my body can handle without it causing more harm than good, and what types cause issues ( I have to be really careful with raw cauliflower and broccoli since I can go overboard on them).

My IBS was only diagnosed after my 3rd child just over a year ago so its still a learning game for me diet wise, as I want to stay away from meds for it at least any more than my regular probiotic, vitamin and fish oil. As it stands I seem to only have issues under stress and for a few days before my TOM from hormonal changes.
  • patsypooter
    Options
    I've been tracking everything that my body goes through on a daily basis so I can see quite clearly now that my IBS gets MUCH worse around my period and then there is also some relief from the constipation around the same time as well. Any woman I talk to who has IBS symptoms seems to agree that it's very much related to hormones! I hope one day they figure out what's going on because it is truly hell to live with. I'm glad I can manage it with diet but even then, during that TOM, it can get quite bad.

Gluten doesn't seem to cause me any IBS symptoms besides nausea but the nausea was constant. My doctor wanted me to go back on gluten for awhile to check for Crohns and Celiac but I didn't make it more then a few days before the nausea was too much. In the end I don't think I care about a diagnosis, I know I can't eat it so why bother.

I can't handle dairy, well, I can't handle dairy besides butter. Milk causes me so many problems. Diarrhea, strep throat, eczema. Took me years to find out what was behind my constant strep! So no more milk for me, ever again.
  • Seevan07
    Seevan07 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have had IBS for over 10 years. I'm currently managing it with a low FODMAP diet, and it's been working pretty well. It basically cuts out foods containing certain carbs that trigger IBS symptoms (e.g. wheat, garlic, onions, lactose, stone fruits). It's been tough, but worth it. I'm also a vegetarian that eats limited dairy and only tempeh, tofu, and seitan (no more processed fake meats or veggie patties on FODMAPs).
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    High carb, low fat, "low protein", high raw, mostly fruit. Took the plunge after researching on how to recover from it. Found a vegan youtube video, took the plunge, never looked back,
    I had IBS to the point where I started sh*tting blood.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't have IBS, but I do have IBD (Crohns) I'm on some heavy duty meds and in remission, neither of which have any effect on what happens if I eat badly. So yeah, I'm trying to control things through diet too.

My triggers I've found so far that I avoid 100% are gluten, oats, and meat (all types/forms), and I try to avoid eggs, corn, dairy and vegetables. (I juice veggies though) anything greasy is a no-no, but it's also my downfall.

Nuts/seeds and fruit are usually ok. Rice products (cakes/crackers etc) are good, but actual rice isn't.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking everything that my body goes through on a daily basis so I can see quite clearly now that my IBS gets MUCH worse around my period and then there is also some relief from the constipation around the same time as well. Any woman I talk to who has IBS symptoms seems to agree that it's very much related to hormones! I hope one day they figure out what's going on because it is truly hell to live with. I'm glad I can manage it with diet but even then, during that TOM, it can get quite bad.

Gluten doesn't seem to cause me any IBS symptoms besides nausea but the nausea was constant. My doctor wanted me to go back on gluten for awhile to check for Crohns and Celiac but I didn't make it more then a few days before the nausea was too much. In the end I don't think I care about a diagnosis, I know I can't eat it so why bother.

I can't handle dairy, well, I can't handle dairy besides butter. Milk causes me so many problems. Diarrhea, strep throat, eczema. Took me years to find out what was behind my constant strep! So no more milk for me, ever again.

You don't need to be on gluten to test for Crohns, completely separate disease from celiac.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to have crazy IBS-D. Then I started working on weight loss. IBS-D has gone away. Completely.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes I think I have IBS/diarrhea. I have to steer clear of fiber as much as possible. I make certain I consume mostly refined starch, and plenty of oil, and acidic food such as lemon juice, vinegar and tomato juice. The foods that could cause diarrhea and cramping and gas are nuts, seeds, beans, corn, peas, whole grains, vegetable skins, and fruit. I eat those foods in small quantities always with refined starch and oil to buffer them.
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    Not sure what my triggers for my IBS are but it's actually gotten worse...
  • sarahsc31
    sarahsc31 Posts: 24
    Options
    The two things that have worked really well for me are interval training to reduce fat and build muscle (can't do steady-state cardio as it makes me nauseous/vomit) and Raw Meal Garden of Life meal replacement. I went from going back and forth between diarrhea and constipation to no longer worrying about it at all! It is fantastic! I get all of my protein (34 grams in the vanilla) after my workout (T25).

Now, the stuff isn't made to taste good...but it does its job! And it is pretty cheap too, about $2.50 a meal. I get it on Amazon.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It took years for me to figure out, what causes my IBS. I had a bloated painful belly for most of the time. Now I follow a very high fiber diet and take probiotics. Also I try not to eat many snacks in between big meals, so my body has time to digest. I have this theory, that I should not give my belly more food, when there is still food in my belly not beeing digested. Sounds complicated, lol. But it works for me. :smile:
  • thatsrontoyou
    thatsrontoyou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have IBS--rather, IBSD. I manage mine with diet. I did an IBSD research study two years ago with medication (which really helped at the time), but once I went off the medication, it came back--though not as severe. Because I really enjoyed having a regular bowel system on the medication, I decided that I needed to figure out how to control it on my own (especially since the meds are not available on the market yet).

I started keeping track of what I ate as well. When I ate a meal, regardless of what it was, I had to be near a bathroom within an hour, without fail. My body did not deviate from that pattern. Since I started changing my diet, I judged my progress on how long I could go before I had to have a bathroom break.

I eliminated everything I didn't cook myself. Though I didn't limit my own cooking--I cooked with oil still (I've always used sunflower oil), and still ate whatever I wanted (within reason) as long as it was homemade. It really helped. Fast food and eating out, ALWAYS trigger me without fail.

Then, last year I ended up in the hospital with a gallbladder attack. Turns out I had two stones in there. I did not have my gallbladder taken out...I just changed my diet even more. There was no feasible way to afford both time and money to have surgery.

I eliminated dairy completely and stopped drinking soda (which didn't last long. I am weak. And addicted), and started drinking a gallon of water a day. I started eating more whole grains and fruits and eliminated everything spicy. I actually lost 20 lbs when I was actively following the GB diet. I've gone off it since then--and still get attacks here and there...but nothing that requires hospitalization.

My plan is to go back to those diets that helped for both issues. I didn't hate them--except losing the soda...lol.

I do find that the more water I consume, the less my IBSD acts up...regardless of what I eat....
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this one. I had IBSD for several years after my son was born ( soon to be 16)***running constantly to the bathroom and yes passing blood. I still eat cheese, butter, and have started eating yogurt since adding this app. I can't tolerate broccoli at all which is sad because I loved it. *Gas, pains, and bloating.
    Now I have been diagnosed with PCOS and have started suffering from IBSC. ***passing blood again when I do manage, bloating and stomach cramps recently Just realized what was happening.
    Please feel free to add me. Any help would be appreciated.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was told that I had IBS too. I had a severe gall bladder attack a couple of years ago and ended up having it removed. That made things worse so I had a colonoscopy and it was clear but the Doctor said it was IBS and to add fibre to my diet. I did that but it made little difference and there were days I couldn't leave the house. I hated that I was told I had something and to basically live with it. Something had to be causing the problem

I went back to my GP and she said often times IBS is a food sensitivity, the two most common being dairy and gluten, and to try elimination before doing any testing. I did 30 days gluten free which made it just a little better. It ended up after another elimination and testing, that I am lactose intolerant. My Doctor said she developed the same problem after age 50 and to try experimenting with dairy foods to see what was ok to eat and what wasn't.

It was so hit or miss that I have stopped all dairy now except for lactaid milk. When I started MFP about 2 months ago I was still having issues and began looking at the ingredients on the packaged foods I was eating and found a lot contained milk solids so I have now stopped eating prepared and packaged foods and cook from scratch. My diet is fresh fruit and veg, lean meats/chicken/fish, whole grain bread occasionally, grains like quinoa or couscous.

Lactose free products, except for milk, are really hard to find here and when you do find them they tend not to be the fat free/low fat variety (ie 14% lactose free sour cream and 2% lactose free cottage cheese). I have only used the lactaid pills twice and find I am ok without the dairy. The only thing I really miss is cheese.

For anybody with IBS I would suggest try elimination of one thing first, don't just assume gluten or dairy is the problem. When you are on elimination, read ingredient labels carefully. If elimination of one thing makes a significant difference, go to your Doctor for definitive testing.

I developed IBS after my son was born and it got worse after I had my gall bladder removed. By removing dairy from my diet I have relief for the first time in over 15 years.
    Good luck to everybody, anybody who wants to is welcome to add me.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For me it was fat. High fat foods can trigger.

Especially KFC.

When they switched to their new trans-fat free oil or whatever (and this was obviously before I started trying to lose weight) it was crazy. Within 30 minutes of eating it I would be cramping and I'd be set up for an evening in the "office". No bueno. Thank you KFC for making it so I can't eat there anymore! :)

(Was that TMI?)
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Yes to the hormones. My period will cause diarrhea and nausea but at least it relieves the constipation!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While never having been officially diagnosed, I had one of the most screwed up GI tracts you could imagine. This biggest thing that helped me was a total shift away from processed foods. I realize that can be a touchy subject around MFP but there is nothing more that I need to be convinced of. I can't believe I spent so much of my life living that way.