Hip, Bust, Waist Ratios?

Options
So I had been told that regardless of overall weight that ratios are pretty indicative of overall health, I tried to run some research but I'm getting conflicting results. Any feedback or sourced info on this?

My Measurements

Weight: 143.5 lbs.
Height: 5'2"
Bust: 40 in.
Waist: 31 in.
Hips: 38 in.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You are an hourglass. I'm similar but different numbers. I gain and lose evenly so it's about 20 pounds before I realize I've been getting bigger.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I could be WAY off here, but I thought the concerns were typically if you carry it in your waist, the fat cells can interfere with vital organs? I heard a snippet about this on NPR once, but it was a while ago. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in!
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    5' 3'', juggling between 132 and 127 lbs

bust: 34''
    waist: 26''
    hips: 38''

I just lost way too much boobage :(... Not sure if I'm considered hourglass or pear shaped. I find it quite difficult to find good info on the subject.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    5'7.5" around 180 pounds
    Bust: 35
    Waist: 28
    Hips: 43

If you carry weight in your stomach (making you an apple shape), you have a higher risk of some diseases. You, OP, have an hour glass figure. If, for example, your bust and waist were reversed, you would be an apple shape.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    5' 3'', juggling between 132 and 127 lbs

bust: 34''
    waist: 26''
    hips: 38''

I just lost way too much boobage :(... Not sure if I'm considered hourglass or pear shaped. I find it quite difficult to find good info on the subject.

I would consider you pretty close to hourglass shape. Pear shaped, IMO, is more like my measurements where your hips are quite a bit larger than your bust.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    5'-3", 141.6 lb

Bust: 36
    Wasit: 28
    Hips: 38

My understanding is that the waist to hip ratio is important with regards to visceral fat...the higher the ratio, the better
  • candidcastaway
    candidcastaway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I took my measurements for the first time today, since that's the main way I plan on tracking my weight loss. The scale gets too obsessive for me.

CW: 171, 5'2"
    Bust: 38
    Waist: 27
    Hips: 37

I heard ratios were the best way to gauge health, but I could be waaaay off. This is all (fairly) new to me.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The British heart foundation state that a womans health is at risk if her waist is bigger than 31.5 inches but I seriously can't imagine how they come up with such an arbitrary number for all sizes of woman. I have tiny friends who don't even reach 5 ft tall and a couple of almost 6 ft tall friends - a 31 inch waist on my smaller friends would be relatively much larger than on the 6 ft tall friends.

A lot of athletes are considered obese as their bmi s are so high due to muscle weight.

I don't actually think anyone has come up with an all encompassing system yet!!!
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I thought it was meant to be a waist to height measurement? At least, that's what it is in the US, and what the research I've read is on. A general waist measurement is kind of useless.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    5'5, 105-108

Bust: 34
    Hip: 34

Im an inverted triangle
  • gracehmcd
    gracehmcd Posts: 1
    Options
    5'6 and 128
    bust:36
    waist:26
    hips:37

I'm an hourglass/pear shape
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Goto http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/

They have a waist to hip calc and a waist to height calc. It will tell you how your doing.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think I am hourglass shaped? At least that is what I see compared to what I was. Or maybe pear shaped.

5'3"
    124 lbs

Bust: 35
    Hips: 36
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    A little over 5'4" and hovering around 123 lbs.

Bust: 36
    Waist: 26 (25.5 on a good day lol)
    Hips: 36

Those measurements were taken monthssssssss ago, and I'm certain my boobs have shrunk since then :(
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    5'6 and 128
    bust:36
    hips:37

I'm an hourglass/pear shape
    I've never seen an hourglass shaped like a pear. You are hourglass, not pear. Pear would be if you had i.e. 47 inch hips.
  • amyelizabs
    amyelizabs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    5"10, 167 pounds

bust: 32 inches
    waist: 29 inches
    hips: 36 inches

Think that's hourglass :smile:

65980816.png
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    4'11''
    110 pounds

bust: 37
    hips: 38

My waist to hip ratio is .68.
    A waist to hip ratio of below .80 puts a person at lower risk for heart and other health issues.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The main measurement I usually hear about for being indicative of your overall health is your waist circumference. 35" is typically what is said to be the maximum healthy waist circumference for women:

WebMD:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/calculating-your-waist-circumference__

Nat'l Heart, Lung & Blood Institute:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/risk.htm
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If I read this correctly, a hip to waist ratio of .8 or less (for a woman) is within the healthy range.