Running Tips?

Options
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to burn more calories while running? Or just running tips in general? I've developed a new love for running because it gives me an unbelievable high that I can't explain! Anyways, anything would help. Thanks!

Replies

• AmberJB88
    AmberJB88 Posts: 1
    Options
    Running is great isn't it? To increase calorie burn and fitness try interval training. A simple one to do outside is Fartlek training (Swedish for speed play) where you alternate from light effort running to high effort running, using landmarks e.g. I use lamp posts or will randomly pick a building up ahead and sprint towards it before returning to a recovery pace. It's a good way to start interval training, but you can make it a lot more structured e.g 400m repeats, continuous hill repeats. I use Runners World and a Womens Running to get new ideas. Also, signing up for a race is a great way to keep motivated :)
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Running is great isn't it? To increase calorie burn and fitness try interval training. A simple one to do outside is Fartlek training (Swedish for speed play) where you alternate from light effort running to high effort running, using landmarks e.g. I use lamp posts or will randomly pick a building up ahead and sprint towards it before returning to a recovery pace. It's a good way to start interval training, but you can make it a lot more structured e.g 400m repeats, continuous hill repeats. I use Runners World and a Womens Running to get new ideas. Also, signing up for a race is a great way to keep motivated :)

Great advice :). I do a lot of the same work myself.

For burning *more* calories in one session, you cannot beat Fartleks, 50 meter (or longer) hill sprint repeats, or any type of interval sprint work (Example: 10 sets of 50 or 100 meter sprints, 30 seconds to 1 minute rest between sets).

For pacing, I do:
    200 and 400 meter strides (4-8 sets depending on your cardio level)
    Yasso 800s (4 or more sets depending on your cardio level)
    1 and 2 mile repeats

As Amber said, signing up for a race is an awesome way to stay motivated and hold yourself accountable. I try and race as often as possible..

Good luck and welcome to the running junkie club!
  • ProHealthGirl
    Options
    Thanks, lots of great advice! I can't wait to put on some running shoes and give it a go again!
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    Good luck! I'm counting the minutes until I can go do my second run for the day. Marathon training doesn't wait for anyone :).
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to burn more calories while running? Or just running tips in general? I've developed a new love for running because it gives me an unbelievable high that I can't explain! Anyways, anything would help. Thanks!
    Someone mentioned it but a great way to burn alot of calories is HIIT runs.

Go all out for a short period of time (dependant on your ability at the time) and rest. Repeat.

Start out at maybe 100 meter sprints. Hard as you can go. Walk 100 meters. Repeat. Those get your HR up and burn better than the longer, slower runs.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you want to ramp up the fartlek^^^^^, try pyramidic fartlek, it produces faster benefits in running than normal fartlek from my experience. Also, add cadence drills with acceleration gliders to get your cadence up to 180 footstrikes/min or higher. Yasso 800s. Or you can do random song switch speed drills--i.e.., if you listen to music, you can run slower on the verses and sprint on the refrains of certain songs. That's kind of a "wipeout workout" if you stretch it for a while but it's a lot o' fun. Or run fast to one song, slow to the next...be creative.

Key tip: Search for and find the FUN in every RUN. If you can do that, it unlocks so much more enjoyment in running! Good luck! :glasses:
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    If you want to ramp up the fartlek^^^^^, try pyramidic fartlek, it produces faster benefits in running than normal fartlek from my experience. Also, add cadence drills with acceleration gliders to get your cadence up to 180 footstrikes/min or higher. Yasso 800s. Or you can do random song switch speed drills--i.e.., if you listen to music, you can run slower on the verses and sprint on the refrains of certain songs. That's kind of a "wipeout workout" if you stretch it for a while but it's a lot o' fun. Or run fast to one song, slow to the next...be creative.

Key tip: Search for and find the FUN in every RUN. If you can do that, it unlocks so much more enjoyment in running! Good luck! :glasses:

^^ This too :).

At least one of my longer runs per week is done without music and having a metronome app set to 180bpm -- to reinforce feel/muscle memory of proper cadence. This is also great for soaking in the environment and just enjoy the run :).
  • ProHealthGirl
    Options

I love the song tip! I've never thought of that before and I'm excited to try that tomorrow. Seriously, every time I go running now, I seem to enjoy it more and more. Anyways, Thanks! :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to burn more calories while running?

Run for longer...

The most time efficient approach is tempo sessions, a proper HIIT session isn't going to last long enough to increase gross calorie expenditure.

That said, just run, don't worry too much about calories.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Get a cop friend.

Have said cop friend send their german shepherd after you.
  • HaydeeL
    HaydeeL Posts: 2
    Options
    Combine running with weight lifting. Weight lifting will give you more power and you will can run faster. Also if you run and lift some weight, will get a well tone body and you will look like a Hollywood start. I did it during 3 months before my wedding and even before the Day D , I was in amazing shape.