24 hour fasting/ times a week?

Options
I was wondering if anyone tried doing the 24 fast more than twice a week? I've read that the ratio should be 5:2, 24 hour fast twice a week and normal eating for 5 days.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Even once a week should give good results. Berardi found in his testing that 2x/wk caused his performance & recovery to fall off dramatically. I think >2 would be detrimental to anyone.
    Have you read Pilon's book?
  • JJChans
    JJChans Posts: 6
    Options
    No I haven't read his book, but I will surely look for it! thanks
  • dorisopen9
    dorisopen9 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think >2 would be detrimental to anyone.
    Strange. Researchers did not find that alternate day fasting was detrimental at all. That would be three or four fast days every week.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >Strange. Researchers did not find that alternate day fasting was detrimental at all. That would be three or four fast days every week.
    In a fixed period research study, perhaps, but I haven't seen too many people have sustainable long term results using ADF which uses a full 24h fast every other day .... most of the accounts I read either do a period less than 24hr, or include some calories on the off day, a la JUDDD.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone tried doing the 24 fast more than twice a week? I've read that the ratio should be 5:2, 24 hour fast twice a week and normal eating for 5 days.
    Some do it 2 times. I do it 3, sometimes (4) four hour cycles of fasting a week.

Some do it every other day all the time.

There are some fantastic benefits to fasting that go along with weight loss. Every week or two I see a new study/article on the different benefits.

I love it because of the flexibility of it. Holiday? Party? Work gathering? Whatever...you just choose that day as your up day. When people on here were fretting over memorial day, or a birthday, or a carry-in at work, or a celebatory night at a restaurant those who fast just kinda snickered and said...well that is when I will plan one of my up days.

The way I do it, usually 730pm or so until 730 or so the next day gives me the benefits of fasting and also the benefits of having a big, good meal each day. Some think it has to be a calender day and they go all day knowing they can only have 500 calories that day, and in reality they go longer than 24 hours which can be very tough for people. I tried the calender day and it always ends up like 36 hours. I liked the Eat. Stop. Eat book version in stating the science is behind the hours of the fast and not necessarly a calender day of a fast.