sick of judgement

Options
Rant Warning:

You know what really fires me up, and it has been going on a LOT lately... if you are a young girl who is not overweight people judge you for working out and eating healthy unless it is for a reason, like running a marathon... and people are NOT afraid to make comments then are surprised when I defend myself. I am sorry if I want to be healthy, and feel great every day, and thrive for my best. I am sorry if I am going to turn down the 1/2lb burger, fries, and shake to have a chicken salad so that I do not have a heart attack at 50. No I am not "starving myself" or "killing myself with too much workout" to be a size 0 with no curves, no I am not trying to impress anyone (well other then myself and my boyfriend) but so what if I were... is that wrong???? When did the world get to warped that women's self image is so skewed that everyone assumes every girl should live within this box.

OK vent over, thanks for letting me get that out...

ohh one more thing... when did it become more admirable to go from being out of shape to throwing yourself full force into running a marathon which is so hard on your body as opposed to having a well rounded consistent workout routine?? Don't get me wrong, anyone who runs a marathon should be very proud... but why does that have to be the milestone to reach?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    haters gonna hate.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    There will always be a**holes out there. Eventually you'll be getting asked how you got such a great body. I've never gotten negative criticism for being healthy. Just ignore it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Complains about being judged, goes on to judge people who want to run a marathon.

Never change, MFP, never change.
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Complains about being judged, goes on to judge people who want to run a marathon.

I apologize if that is how it sounded, I most certainly do not judge marathon runners. Anyone who is able to complete a marathon should be very very proud. Marathons were simply my example of the box people have put me in. I do think intensive running, especially if not trained for it, is hard on the body and wonder why people who are out of shape choose running as their method but do not judge those who choose that method.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Luckily for myself, I don't give a damn about what others think about me. Whatever they think doesn't affect my life, how I am with my family, or my success. And usually when people know that you don't really care about what they opine about you, they stop opining.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I actually kind of agree with her about marathons being "the" goal.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i run just about everyday and i don't intend to run a marathon/or half. I can run 12 miles no problem to boot! I think you need to take a deep breath and just relax. If someone says something to you that you don't like just keep asking "what do you mean" and see where they lead themselves.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I apologize if that is how it sounded, I most certainly do not judge marathon runners. Anyone who is able to complete a marathon should be very very proud. Marathons were simply my example of the box people have put me in. I do think intensive running, especially if not trained for it, is hard on the body and wonder why people who are out of shape choose running as their method but do not judge those who choose that method.

Some people are goal motivated, others can do DVDs (never understood that one). I do understand where you're coming from. In the AF, our fitness standards are always prefaced with some kind of knock on marathoners, as if we are the only people on the planet who can have a 30" waist (male). People are c***ts
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I blame Biggest Loser for planting that seed. And also Top Chef for turning everyone into a wannabe foodie *kitten*
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I'm looking forward to running in the Boston Marathon one day...

But back to the OP, I have noticed very much lately that there seems to be more "fit shaming" than "fat shaming" going on. Society seems to have shifted some. I honestly think that the people that partake in that crap are just too uncomfortable in their own skin so they have to try to bring others down to make themselves somehow feel better. The more I run, the more I eat...yet in turn the more fat I lose...but because I am kinda small right now and run 5+ miles a day people seem to think I am "starving" or whatever. I don't care. I just. Don't. Care. Because I know that I am healthy and doing what's good for me. It's not about anyone else, so why would care about their opinions when it has nothing to do with them?

And PS...just because a lady is a size 0 doesn't mean she doesn't have "curves." I am so sick of this endless "curves" BS debate going on. I choose not to step on that soap box right now...but this is the one thing that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up the most when it comes to people shaming women's bodies.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

:laugh: :heart:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Society is funny. Being a 45 year old male I can't even say "looking good" to someone at the gym without them taking it as "creepy". Being polite and nice is now flirtation? People need to get over themselves.