Need reassurance :(

Options
Hi there ! My name is Danielle , single mother of 3 . I at at the gym 5-6 days a week and try very hard to eat healthy. I do GREAT all day and then as night hits I get hungry and begin to pick :( ... IDK if it is hunger , bordom , stress from the day or what. I just need some ideas for distractions. Please and Thank you :)

Replies

• marciml
    marciml Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Danielle, I do the same as you. Someone earlier today mentioned doing free-weights while watching their favorite program on TV. I really thought that was a wonderful distraction for my mind and hands. Tri-ceps - here I come. :smile:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, the late night munchies!! My suggestions are:If you're watching tv & that's what's making you feel hungry (because you're used to snacking while watching tv) find another activity. Or try working out if you have the chance, get up, move around, do some cleaning, get your mind off the idea of eating. Or, drink a couple glasses of water. Sometimes when you think you're hungry, you're really thirsty. Drink, drink drink. Also, if you KNOW you're a late night muncher and you can't escape it ... WORK WITH THAT!!! save yourself some calories!! Maybe cut back your intake during the day and eat your snacks and extra calories at night. I do this as well :)
  • lindsayselkirk
    lindsayselkirk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i love to pick at stuff at night. if you're hungry, try those little pudding snacks or even a piece of fruit. im a big fan of the pudding snacks. get the sugar free ones. they are only 60 calories! also, if you are doing something like watching tv you can always do a few ab work outs rather than snacking.
  • terim3006
    terim3006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Find something to do with your hands. I love to crochet and don't nibble when I am cuz it will get it dirty. I work from home and find that I do the same thing. I have also discovered when I am doing this I am avoiding a problem (such as a work issue that needs figured out) or I am just tired of sitting there and I would rather "go outside and play."
  • dani3elle
    Options
    Thank you allll so much ! It is helpful just talking about it! I am very glad I joined this site. Just the support I need :)
  • sarynbub
    Options
    Hello, I have the same problem so I have tried a few different things. I try to keep myself busy. I know after a long day at work and chasing young kids by yourself, you want nothing more then to just sit down. I started doing paint by numbers. Alot of people like to read so they read, I myself do not like to read I find it rather boring :) But when I sit down and i think I am munchy I get my paint by number out and I say to myself "after i finish this part I will get something to eat" and then when I am done with that part I do the same thing again and before I know it an hour or so has passed. Alot of times I do eventually get up and get a snack so i have learned that it is ok to snack just make sure they are healthy snacks. I make it a point to not go over my calories by the end of the day that way I can have a snack. I got the Special K bars from my local walmart. They are 90 calories a bar and to me they really hit the spot. Its kinda like it .... I dont know if it cures or curves my hunger. Alot of times in the evening I will crave just a little something sweet. The special K bars have a little sweet taste to them as well...
    I dont know if this helped or not but I thought I would try. I have learned the key to a successful weight loss progam/goal is to have people to talk to about it and share ideas about it that is going threw the same thing as you are. You can add me as a friend if you would like, its up to you. I am really new at this site so i am still learning how it works but so far I love this site!
    Hope this helped--
    Sarah
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough throughout the day and including healthy fats? If so my guess is it's habit or boredom, not hunger. Try some decaf green tea, or some kind of distraction...practicing an instrument, cleaning out a junk drawer, crocheting...anything to keep you occupied.
  • blogger79
    Options
    HI Danielle,

I know what you mean!

I think at night when you have time to relax and think, that's where you can go wrong BECAUSE you don't have the daytime distractions.

I usually reserve some extra calories and I will eat frozen fruit, or fresh fruit salad. I cut it up nice and small so I don't inhale it too quickly. I savor each small piece one at a time and try to really taste each flavour.

If you don't have any extra calories for the end of day, you might consider finding an activity that you can do during the evening? Go for a late night walk? Something like that..

Good luck!

Jess
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site. the people are awesome here. what i do is get some popcorn, on the stove not the microwave, and just add some spices, or a little bit of oil with not a lot of popcorn. also pretzel sticks work awesome as well. good luck to you and if you need a friend im here for you.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    also smoothies work well. just dont put too much juice in, or get the low cal or low sugar kind.
  • guacka
    guacka Posts: 7
    Options
    were all in the same boat. i love to eat at night especially cookies and milk :) so i figure i saved room for those but im trying not to eat passed 9. my girl is worst so she set her self the goal not to eat passed 7 and if she is hungry fruits and water.
  • donhaynesjr
    Options
    You can really kill off those late afternoon grazings by eating a high-protein breakfast and lunch. It'll keep you feeling pretty full throughout the day.
  • sijohnson
    Options
    Tell me about it....the dreaded munchies! get a 6 or 8kg kettlebell, set in on the floor in front of you, and in the ad break or when yu feel hungry get up and do 20 swings....awesome
  • dani3elle
    Options
    So much great advice ! Thank you all :)
  • sara_bai
    sara_bai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone has the evening time munchie problem. I too have this problem, I know I'm not hungry but just was to have that last snack.
    I go for a cup of herbal tea and I also do crafts such as knitting and crochet to keep myself occupied and mind off food.
    Good luck!
  • CorydonCutie
    CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is not necessarily a distraction, but a very low cal snack that is such a treat. I buy the sugar free packages of Jello and top it with a tablespoon of fat free whipped topping. The entire snack has 15 calories and is sometimes exactly what I need to fill that need for something to eat. Keep up the good work.