Should I be a vegetarian or not?

Options
Ok, so I am willing to try just about anything once, and I am thinking should I become a vegetarian. I have heard lots a great things about it, and I love veggies however I don't know if I could pull it off. I don't eat hardly any read meat as it is, I love chicken and turkey mostly. I was wondering if anyone who is a vegetarian or has tried it let me know what you think. I know being a vegetarian isn't just eating vegetables but like I said, I'm willing to try almost anything. So any suggestions, or should I just stick with the way I have been eating? Any and all help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• gem975
    gem975 Posts: 29
    Options
    I guess it depends on why you want to do it?
    When I was vegetarian is was because I had been to a Bali Market and what I saw made me sick.. It took me a year and a half to try chicken again..
    I think it will be hard if your just doing it for the sake of it?
  • grumpz
    grumpz Posts: 30
    Options
    Hey, I've been everything. Vegetarian, vegan, omnisauraus :laugh: There are plenty of health benefits for all. I think in the end it comes down to your own personal choice. None is either right or wrong. If you're leaning towards vegetarianism you could possibly do what I do, only a suggestion. I generally eat a vegetarian diet but have meat once or twice a week. Like I said none are perfect, its what you and your body feel comfortable doing :smile:
  • krisk60
    Options
    I have been a vegeterian for about 9 months now. I did not switch for any particular health concerns, but more of a religious turn. I am not finding many issues with it. If you happen to go out to a restaurant it can become a little problematic. I still eat a littler fish, but tend to substitute portabello mushrooms and tofu into my meals. I dont force vegeterianism on my kids, so I end up doing my meal on the side most days. I must say that I do not mind not having the "bloated" feeling I used to get after eating meat. I sometimes worry about getting enough protein and I started taking iron supplements, just to be safe. All in all, I have really enjoyed it and plan on continuing it as a life style. I would certainly recommend it to you.

Good luck if you decide to go with it.
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    i think everyone should eat "more" fruits and veggies, but it's really a matter of personal preference. I tried that for awhile, and it was okay, but I enjoy a good steak, and love chicken and fish, so I went back, it's more important to be balanced and eat right and exercise than to swear off meat altogether. if you love something don't deny yourself just be moderate.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i am vegan and i did it for animal reasons. some people do it for health reasons, but anything you can think of has a meat free alternative. boca and quorn are the best. quorn is vegetarian so i cant have it. if you go online and put in vegetarian recipes then you can have lots of meals. any veggies or potatoes(baked) are great for you. chooseveg.com has lots of great recipes, even for peanut butter pie or chocolate pie.
  • gillytheweed
    Options
    What you have to ask yourself is 'why do you want to be a vegetarian'? if you think it will help you lose weight forget it , it doesn't! Ive been a vegetarian for nearly 20 years, and i dont miss out on any foods , there are alternatives to meat and very tasty too, but you can still eat all the not so good things like soya ice-cream, cakes, puddings, sweets . . the list goes on, so if you think by going veggie it will stop your cravings im afraid it wont. I went veggie because of the cruelty to animals,and the rubbish they pump into them like antibiotics etc, which you are eating every time you eat meat. Being veggie has got to be better for you though, so give it a try
    :smile: good luck
  • crissy5287
    Options
    OK so I'm going to think about it more, but I'm also going to try some vegetarian meals to try it out. I have watched Food Inc and it has turned me away from some food companies. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to live without chicken but also I'll be going to live in a dorm in August so thats another thing I'll have to consider. I don't know if they have the vegetarian options and I can only store so much food in the tiny fridge lol.
  • crissy5287
    Options
    Yeah Food Inc really opened my eyes to what the companies do and since the only absolute sure way to know that things are organic would be to raise my own animals and grow my own veggies. So thats another reason I've thought about it.
  • isaathoff5
    Options
    I lost ten pounds over a period of four months and I found that eating lean meats and vegetables, and low-fat, low sugar dairy products and a smaller quantity of fruits (mainly apples and berries) and nuts and eliminating the starches, breads, desserts, chips, etc. was the best way to lose and keep the weight off. I also started walking 4-5 times per week and weight training 3 days a week. I did not eliminate all the high carb foods at once, just started with desserts first, then quit eating starches with dinner, and eventually weaned my body off of junk food. Monitoring my calorie intake, especially my sugar intake by using the myfitnesspal app on my phone really helped. When I cut my sugar down to 30 grams/day, the weight really came off. Taking off this weight was hard because I was really close to my ideal body weight and these pounds had been on me for many years. Now I feel my diet is more balanced, I am getting more vitamins from my food and because I snack on high protein, low-carb foods, I am less hungry and more satisfied with what I eat. Also, when I eat out, I can always find something on the menu that is satisfying but stays within my dietary guidelines. I have realized that starchy snack foods, even the low-fat ones, are very addictive and if I eat them, I crave more. Same with sweets. Good luck!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I have always leaned towards it but I am so doubtful! Good luck and if you do let me know how it goes!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I changed to being vegan last June and I really feel fantastic. I beleive it is the best choice for my body, but, that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. the great thing about MFP is being able to track your protein, iron, calcium and/or whatever other concerns you have. there is no harm really in giving it a try.
    best of luck to you!