Using a scale

Options
I have noticed when watching calories and looking on the nutrition facts it states that a certain number of ounces. Sometimes I feel its hard to guesstimatehow much I am eating. Does anyone else use a scale and is it helping? Or is it really not worth it.

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i put the ounces and turn it in to cups. like 8 ounces is a cup, and then 4 is 1/2 a cup and so on. thats how i measure, much easier for me. personally. good luck to you
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use a scale and it helps tremendously. It is a great visual aid, as well. By that I mean, I am able to see the difference between my usual unmeasured portions and my new, healthier, measured portions.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I use a scale for EVERYTHING that isn't pre-packaged. It is amazing to see how much you think is a portion! I have only been using it for a week but it is eye opening. I especially use it for meats and snacks (like chips) that are measured by ounces. I only get 1200 calories a day so I really want to make sure I am accurate in how much I am eating! I got one for $8 at bed bath and beyond! It's worth it. Besides a HRM, it's the best piece of diet/exercies equipment! :)
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I think I will have to go get me one this weekend.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My scale is my best friend along with my measuring cups!! lol
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale many times each day and I think it is one of the most important "items" I own. sometimes what I think is a portion and what really is a portion varies a lot so I am happy to be able to really make sure I am logging my items accurately.

I bought a digital one because those other kind are so hard to read and I'd say it's one of the best 20$ I ever spent!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Get the scales! It definately matters!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    i put the ounces and turn it in to cups. like 8 ounces is a cup, and then 4 is 1/2 a cup and so on. thats how i measure, much easier for me. personally. good luck to you

depends on what you are weighing though.....4oz of chips measured in a cup isn't going to be accurate, where a liquid would be. A scale is the best option.
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure EVERYTHING when I'm at home. Keeps me true to my calorie counts. Bought a food scale at Walmart for $20.
  • lilcreep
    lilcreep Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, a scale is extremely helpful. I like to eat a lot of chicken so it really helps me make sure i'm counting my calories accurately.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My scale is my most-used piece of kitchen equipment :)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale many times each day and I think it is one of the most important "items" I own. sometimes what I think is a portion and what really is a portion varies a lot so I am happy to be able to really make sure I am logging my items accurately.

I bought a digital one because those other kind are so hard to read and I'd say it's one of the best 20$ I ever spent!

I think I will go get a digital one now!! That dial can be deceiving ;)
  • deanna1981
    Options
    I love mine. I got a great digital one off of amazon. I use it so much it's great when making meals and preparing snacks!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital scale when I began this journey in September and I still use it nearly every day. My scale and the HRM my hubby got for me for Christmas are my two favorite gadgets! You will find it an eye-opening experience and it will help you be more accurate when counting those calories. Mine is the "Sharper Image" and I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $20 on sale.

Good luck!