To the people who workout at home.....

Options
2013sk
2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
Hi,

I am thinking of giving up my gym membership & making a mini little gym in my bedroom. I have just seen a good body sculpture cross trainer for sale.

I also already have a yoga ball, gym floor matt, skipping rope, Davina McCall boxing gloves & pads, Wrist/ankle band weights. Thinking of buying some free weights too.

I just wanted to know the following:

A) What equipment do you use?

B) Do you use any dvds, insanity, 30 day challenges etc?

C) How heavy do you lift if you use weights... ie what kg?

I would prefer to tone, so I am thinking lighter weights but more reps.

D) How long do you workout for?

E) How many times a week?

Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also your general feedback about workout out at home over the gym. I just feel I can get my workout in a lot better around my schedule if I do it at home to suit me. And I really think if I put in the dedication I can do a lot better than what I do at the gym.... at home... Also an added bonus of me saving £55.00 every month.

This cross trainer is £45.00 and will be mine forever.

Thank you x x x x

Replies

• MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options

-Power cage, 2 barbells & weights, dumbbells, non-slip mats, bench (to do hip thrusts/Bulgarian slip squats), yoga mat

-I do yoga 3x per week using a DVD as I can't get to classes

- I've got about 80kg of weights, how much I lift depends on the lift itself, they aren't all the same... but I'm a tiny female, it depends on what is heavy for you

I would prefer to tone, so I am thinking lighter weights but more reps. <- I don't agree with this, less reps higher weights has worked much better for me

-About 60 minutes

- 6, I alternate weight lifting with yoga, so days 1, 3 & 5 are weights, 2, 4 & 6 are yoga, day 7 is complete rest.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Bench, barbell, e-z bar, dumbells, bands, bodyweight.

No.

All weights up to 200 kg - Plates are 1kg, 2.5, 5, 10, 20, 25

50 mins per week. I run 3 x a week also.

3 or 4.
  • ChrisM_1992
    ChrisM_1992 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A) What equipment do you use? I've got a treadmill, and dumbbell weights

B) Do you use any dvds, insanity, 30 day challenges etc? Nope, I tried P90x cardio video one, think I almost died..

C) How heavy do you lift if you use weights... ie what kg? I've stopped now but trying to get back into it, before I got to doing bench press with dumbbells 25kg a side and squarts 30kg

D) How long do you workout for? Weights used to take me about 30-40mins, treadmill I'm currently doing a training plan on the app Endomondo, each session is 20-40mins

E) How many times a week? Weights used to be 3 times a week, treadmill is 3-4
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I gave up the gym about 3 years ago when I realised I was only really going for the spin classes and therefore wasting money. Bought my own spin bike for when I had the craving, and then have been stockpiling my own stuff since. I don't miss the gym at all.

I have a spin bike, mountain bike, 3, 5 and 7 kg medicine balls, resistance bands, yoga mat, running shoes, cross training shoes, and adjustable dumbells up to 40kg.

Sometimes - i have insanity, turbofire, and a selection of jillian michaels DVDs that I use when I am not feeling creative or self motivated - they keep me going. Otherwise, I have some music tracks to do my own spin sessions, or go on a run.

It depends. I'm still not as strong as I like so I'm working on upping weights, but do a lot of bodyweight exercises and use between 10-15lbs on things like ripped in 30/30 day shred.

Again it varies - sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes an hour. Depends on what I'm doing, how much time I have etc. - probably average about 40 mins most days

5, sometimes 6. Again depends on lots of things - time, energy, what I'm doing. Right now I'm about to change focus in my workouts, to increase running speed and start getting my strength back up after slacking on weights etc while training for a 10k. So I'm doing 2 runs a week, one long & slow and one interval, plus 3 cross training days (probably going to mix between 30 day shred, ripped in 30 and cycling.)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

- dumbbells, non-slip mats, yoga mat, home trainer and plain simple my staircase + the hills outside

- No! I bought one, but barely use it. Hasfit has free videos online. http://hasfit.com/

- At this very moment 30 pounds

- Appr. 45 to 60 minutes mainly, sometimes just 30 minutes

- 5 to 6 days a week, one day rest.

I live in the Arctics, we haven't got gyms here.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This is everything I own (not using it all right now): stationary bike, stepper, pilates ball, jumping rope, 2 dumbbells (5 lbs each)

I am currently doing 30 days shred

I haven't got anything heavy to lift and I've never been into such techniques, so I only use those dumbbells

30 mins. at the moment

Anything from 0 to everyday. It depends on the period.
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym a couple of months ago and I'm still adding bits of kit to my home gym - I love it! 24hr opening, my choice of music and post-workout snacks in the kitchen :)

A. 50kg weights set (barbell and dumbbells), Swiss ball, gym mats. I use a dining bench with a thick towel at the moment - does the job fine until I get a proper bench, and a sturdy kitchen step - much cheaper than a gym step!

B. No DVDs but I've just started following The New Rules of Lifting for Women on Kindle - highly recommended read for a beginner lifter!

C. I've only just started "proper" lifting, so I'm on low-ish weights at the moment. Squat with 15kg on the barbell, deadlift/row with 20kg on the barbell, shoulder press with 5kg dumbbells etc. Likely to increase over the next few weeks! I'd also say that higher weights with fewer reps is the way to go.

D. 30-40 minutes in the mornings before work.

E. I lift Mon, Weds and Fri, and run Tues, Thurs and Sat. Rest day on Sunday :)

Enjoy your home gym!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

A) What equipment do you use? 10LB DUMB BELLS / YOGA MAT

B) Do you use any dvds, insanity, 30 day challenges etc? ALL MY WORKOUTS ARE YOUTUBE - 30 DAY SHRED/ JESSICA SMITH DOES LOADS ON THERE AND CASSEY HO DOES GREAT POP PILATES ...FITNESS BLENDER ALSO GREAT :)

C) How heavy do you lift if you use weights... ie what kg? 10LBS, PLENTY OF REPS

I would prefer to tone, so I am thinking lighter weights but more reps. - I WOULD GO HEAVIER BUT THATS ALL AVAILABLE TO ME

D) How long do you workout for? - 45 mins - 90 mins

E) How many times a week? 5 or 6 days/week

Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!! - you're welcome :-D

Also your general feedback about workout out at home over the gym. I just feel I can get my workout in a lot better around my schedule if I do it at home to suit me. And I really think if I put in the dedication I can do a lot better than what I do at the gym.... at home... Also an added bonus of me saving £55.00 every month.

This cross trainer is £45.00 and will be mine forever.

Thank you x x x x
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Equipment - a cross trainer, rowing machine, weights at 5lbs each, jump rope and a foam roller (not sure yet of the benefits of that one!)
    DVD's - Jillian Michaels, various wii console workouts, fitnessblender on the laptop and currently a pre-natal workout dvd - a bit more calming and sedate than normally works for me but needs must :)
    Weights - 5lbs - but not really using much at the moment - I've not yet built up the strength for heavier ones :laugh:
    Workout time 30 - 60 mins depending on what I'm doing - generally 30 mins on the cross trainer and 30 mins dvd or 40-45 on the cross trainer alone
    Number of days - 3-4 on a good week although not had so many of those recently - must be more disciplined.

You ask about the benefits of working out at home - my view: cheaper (once you've paid the initial outlay for the equipment), more flexibility to work out on your own time and terms, no fighting over who gets to use the equipment next, hygiencally better, comfortable in your own envirnoment (and by that I mean anything from not feeling pressure from those around you to being able to listen to the music/watch the tv programme that you want to!).

One thing I would caution against is a particularly cheap piece of equipment and £45 for a cross trainer sounds low. We spent about £300 on ours 7 years ago and it has lasted well but even at that price, certain parts seem to fail on it on a regular basis (and we have now found that the model isn't supported any longer so when it goes again we will have to buy a new one). I guess this will happen with whatever you buy but I would be wary of going too low in cost.

Hope this helps.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Factor the workout to the equipment that you have available.

I LOVED my powercage! I could push my comfort zone in (relative) safety! But, circumstances changed and i needed the space in the lounge again (child), so i sold it and got a basic bench and a squat rack (doubles as bench press rack etc). Still had bars and weights. One thing i would suggest, is get a set of 20 or 25kg plates, else you'll soon run out of 2.5/5/7.5/10kg plates!
  • davelfc49
    davelfc49 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use a vision elliptical, I'm very happy with that as it folds up so it uses less space. I also had to factor in how many clothes, coats I could hang on it.

I also use Bodylastics resistance bands.

I don't have a lot of space and these do not take up much space at all.
  • katesch9
    katesch9 Posts: 130
    Options
    I started using Fitness Blender a couple months ago and it's awesome. Tons of videos, all different types of exercise, all free.

The equipment I've acquired so far:
    -yoga mat (definitely essential if you don't have carpeted floors)
    -physioball
    -4kg dumbells (I could use a little more variety.)

I work out 5-6 times a week, usually for about an hour. It's a lot more consistently than I ever worked out at the gym, and the videos are way more interesting than the elliptical. The only thing I miss is the range of weights and weight machines available.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I don't have room for a power rack, but I have a squat rack, bench, 2 bars, dumbbells, mats, exercise ball, steps + about 100kg in weights. We also have a pool which I use daily in summer (it's winter here at the moment)

No DVD's. I follow New Rules of Lifting for Women for my weights. Basically zero cardio other than walking with a friend at the moment due to schedule. I will start swimming again in about September.

I'm teeny tiny, 4'9, so my weights will be small in comparison to someone of average height. But I lift as heavy as I can go and still complete my reps with good form.

About an hour at a time for lifting, 30-40 minutes walking.

3-4 times a week lifting, walking 1-2x a week.

I work from home, so having a gym set up in the garage means I have no excuses. A workout is scheduled into my work day and it's a lot easier to go downstairs and open the door to the garage than have to drive somewhere and worry about child-care etc.
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    A) What equipment do you use? Power rack Cage, multi functional trainer machine that I use for lat pulldowns, tricep push downs, etc., powerblock dumbbells, barbells, standing calf raise machine.

B) Do you use any dvds, insanity, 30 day challenges etc? No DVDs. I follow a muscle building workout routine. I don't do cardio because I'm trying to hang on to every calorie I can. It's hard enough eating in a surplus!

C) How heavy do you lift if you use weights... ie what kg? I lift as heavy as I can until I hit all my sets and reps with perfect form. Then I increase the weight and do the same thing continuously increasing once all sets and reps are hit with perfect form.

I would prefer to tone, so I am thinking lighter weights but more reps. - toning is not a thing. If you want that toned look you need to build muscle by lifting heavy, progressively overloading your muscles by continuing to increase weight as you can, and eat in a calorie surplus to gain.

D) How long do you workout for? I workout for about an hour 4 times a week, every other day in an upper/lower split.

I love working out at home. I know I wouldn't keep up with it if I had to go to the gym. Plus I'm right on time during the week so doing it at home saves time. I also like just being on my own or with my husband without any other distractions and people around.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The best investment I ever made was buying powerblock adjustable dumbells - worth every penny.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Pull up & dip station

NO

I weigh 79.5 kg

30-45 mins
    3-4

I would keep your rep ranges in the 5-10 range and maybe if you wanted totake 1 workout a week & bump that to 12-15. But I wouldn't do all light weight reps
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just finished college where I've been going to gym and although I love going to gym, I want to try to save money by training at home during the summer. We have all the equipment I need so I really want to give it a shot (although the gym environment pushes me to train harder so I will see how it goes). I want to lean out a bit so the plan for the next couple months is to add cardio 3x a week to my lifting schedule, dreading it already..:D

Spinning bike, squat rack with barbell & plates, adjustable dumbbells, pull up bar, kettle bells, bench

There are some good spinning classes on Youtube, occasionally some kettle bell class too

The plates for barbell go up to 60kg but it depends on what I do (squats & deadlifts are heavier than bentover rows or bench press) either way I always try to go as heavy as I can. The dumbbells are adjustable up to 8 kg each which is fine for now and the kettle bells are 10 &12 kg.

Usually around 80 minutes when I'm in the gym, quite curious to see how long will it take at home!

The aim is 5x a week lifting, 2x short HIIIT cardio & 1x longer run or cycle
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I have 3kg hand weights and two lighter ones which I stopped using because they're too light. I have a Pilates mat and a Pilates DVD. I also do cardio with Just Dance on the Wii. In the past I've used a Wii workout game called My Fitness Coach. I've also got wrist/ankle weights which can be used round the house when doing the housework.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Punching bag, power rack, olympic weight set, recumbent bike

No

As heavy as I can lol

About an hour of lifting, 30-40 minutes on bike or punching bag

Try to lift 4x per week, 4-5x cardio
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    A) What equipment do you use? Barbell, bench, dumbbells, kettlebell

B) Do you use any dvds, insanity, 30 day challenges etc? Yes, turbo fire, T25, Jillian Michaels, fitness blender & Be Fit (last 2 from Youtube)

C) How heavy do you lift if you use weights... ie what kg? Barbell only goes up to 100lbs, do deadlifts on those. Dumbbells up to 40lbs

I would prefer to tone, so I am thinking lighter weights but more reps. No, heavier weight, less reps.

D) How long do you workout for? About an hour a day

E) How many times a week? 7, lift 3/days w/short cardio, long cardio 2 days/week, Kettlebell 1/day and Yoga and/or Pilates on Sunday.