calorie intake--help!

Options
I think I know the answer to this but I want to get some feedback from everyone. Okay, I have my set calories for the day, which is 1570 calories, but of course when I exercise, it adds calories that I'm able to consume, BUT my question is, am I going to lose weight if I don't try to stay at 1570 calories per day, including the deductions from calories burned from exercise? My concern is that if I don't eat enough I'm not going to lose weight. So total FOOD calories with these measurements, am I okay in thinking that as long as I eat at least 1200 calories, regardless of calories burned from exercise, will I lose weight? I burn about 650 calories, at the most, when I exercise. Any feedback would be appreciated :glasses:

Replies

• bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As long as your NET calories is 1200+ then you should be fine. You can eat some or all of the exercise calories if you are still hungry, but if you aren't then don't worry about it. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Meet your calorie goal, eat your exercise calories. You will see results. You won't necessarily lose weight faster if you eat less.
  • angelmuss
    Options
    You need to eat to keep you metabolism up. Eat your exercise calories (at least most of them!)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Here are some basics for you. An answer to your question about calories and the basic things I have learned in the last 9 months.

- Your weight loss will stall if you are eating less than 1200 calories, or even less that your recommended allowance on a regular basis

- the amount MFP tells you to eat is a TARGET, not a MAXIMUM. Eat as close to that level as you can. A little over or under isn't a problem, but significantly lower can hamper weight loss.

-the target MFP gives you is what you need before exercise. If you exercise you need to eat more, if you feel you need to. If you never eat any exercise calories, it will effectively drop you too far below your base metabolism and you will likely stall out your weight loss.

- too many processed foods = higher sodium and water retention. Monitor your sodium levels.

- Your weight loss may stall if you do the same exercise all the time. Change it up, add different exercises, up the intensity and/or duration.

- Your weight loss may stall out if you eat the same foods all the time. Change up your diet, keeps you from getting bored and your body from getting used to the same foods/nutrients.

- Your weight loss may stall out if you are trying to lose weight too fast. 2 lbs a week is reasonable if you have a large amount of weight to lose, but if you are trying for a lower amount, it my be too much for your body. Reduce the rate of weight loss back by 0.5 or 1 pound a week, which increases your calories, and gives your body fuel to lose weight and exercise.

- drink your water. Helps flush out your body and keep your organs happy.

- take your measurements. You may not be losing "weight" but you can be losing inches, which are just as important.

- be truthful and honest in your diary. You hurt no one but yourself if you don't record accurately.

- make sure you measure your foods/liquids until you get used to everything. What our eyes think is a cup may be drastically different from an actual cup. I was amazed at how small 30g or 1.5 oz of cheese was!

Hope some of that helps you!
  • cathyprice
    Options
    thanks everyone! y'all rock!
  • tlwatson
    Options
    Im glad you ask that question. Ive been stuck around 174 since Nov 1 im just trying to loose 5 lbs. I get close got to 172 but then Thanksgiving hit and then Xmas. Even if i didnt go over board around the holidays i actullay maintain it. My calorie goal is 1800 but that past couple of weeks ive been burning 650 plus calories. I was burning about 450. Ive change up my exercise but not my diet.
    Thanks again