Body By You/ You are Your Own Gym

Options
I really want to up my strength training without going to the gym, so I am beginning Body By You ( same maker as You are Your Own Gym). I did day 1 of the initial evaluation today and will do day 2 tomorrow or Sunday. I plan to begin my first official training day (Cycle 1) on Monday. To be honest I've started this before but stopped after the first few weeks. I think I was trying to do too many new things at once. Now I feel ready to really begin this program. Is anyone currently doing this program/ another bodyweight program or does anyone want to start with me? I would love to add anyone as a friend who would like to go on this journey together and if there are enough interested I can start a group.

Replies

• auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Giving this a little bump.
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to start YAYOG... does it have to be the same program?
  • auntsammy88
    Options
    Nope. I'd be happy to do a YAYOG/ BBY group or for us to support each other in this. I think the main difference in the two is that body by you has more gradual step ups, but I might be wrong? It would be interesting to discover the similarities and differences between the two programs.
  • auntsammy88
    Options
    OK..for anyone interested a group has been added for Body By You/ YAYOG motivation. Feel free to join! =)
  • Dana121970
    Dana121970 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am going to start BBY tomorrow. I don't really understand when to change cycles though. Do I stay on cycle 1 until I can do all of the exercises and then move to cycle 2 or do I move to cycle 2 after completing cycle 1 for the exercise I am currently working with? I think it is the latter, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    Bump
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing Body by You. I've extended the first cycle 2 weeks now, it says in the book that you should move on to cycle 2 if you get no progress in any of the moves for 3 workouts in a row so that's what i'm 'waiting' for now, but I'm still progressing in at least one move every workout :)
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I initially bought Body By You but got a little confused about when to move onto the next cycle, etc so I downloaded the You Are Your Own Gym app and followed that instead in the end! Completed the 10 week basic course a couple of months ago, but now I'm doing Ripped In 30 so haven't moved onto the next level yet. Instead, I'm mixing & matching the exercises to create my own programme which I do three times per week alongside RI30. When I finish RI30 I'll definitely move onto the next level of YAYOG for another 10 weeks.

I would highly recommend it to anyone. When I started I couldn't even do 1 'proper' pushup, and now I can do 10 with decent form. My arms and legs look noticably more muscular, and my strength has definitely increased.
  • auntsammy88
    Options
    Dana: Exactly what Rianne said from what I can tell. You continue cycle 1 until you can't move forward in any category for at least a week ( or 3 workouts). I've sent you a group invite in case you're interested.

itsjustmish: That's awesome! I really want to build strength and muscle definition with this program and it's definitely good to know that YAYOG helped you to do that. I did RI30 last year and it was a great kickstart to my fitness journey. I did knee pushups though. I really want to do real pushups with good form. I can go down about half way and push back up, but not all the way down yet. Please feel free to join our group if you would like. I know that I am doing BBY but you can definitely create your own topics about YAYOG.

Rianne: That's so great that you're still progressing! Thanks for joining our group!
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group - thank you! :)

I've done RI30 a couple of times before, but I'm really noticing the difference this time with my increased upper body strength. I'm able to do the 'advanced' moves and full pushups, and definitely feel less weak and pathetic!
  • beckylacross
    Options
    How do I join? I'm doing body by you... I have been since march. I love it! I am trying to figure out if I need to do another initial evaluation before I move up to cycle two. Does anyone know? Or do I just move up using the levels I leave off cycle one in?
  • Sarahpoe
    Options
    I am just starting body by you. Is anyone on here still active in their programs? Also, how do I join?
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday :smile:
  • Qwik_Dry
    Qwik_Dry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bought the book. Read most of it. Now have to figure out how to get started..

I'm about 5 steps behind most of you but would love to join you! :smile:
  • kateharp2112
    Options
    How do I join this group?
  • kateharp2112
    Options
    I can't figure out how to join this group. I'm doing BBY right now.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just bought both of the books!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Late to the party but I just downloaded YAYOG. I'd join this group if MFP hadn't taken down the search option. :| Can someone post a link?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    YAY! Join the group! I'm in there all alone! Getting the link... getting the link...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8173-you-are-your-own-gym

THERE. Now. All of you get in there! Hahaha.

ETA: Oh wait... is that the wrong group? It's the one I've been in for a while, but it's not a new one. Can someone post a link to the new one that specifically BBY?
  • SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    Late to the party but I just downloaded YAYOG. I'd join this group if MFP hadn't taken down the search option. :| Can someone post a link?

I've got the book sitting on the shelf and the app on my 'pad. I should get started. So if anyone posts a link to AHainzl, I'll join as well!