Please don’t fear temporary weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great topic and very well said.

I think one of the greatest things I have gained from doing MFP is a feeling of total control over my weight. I know that if I do gain a few extra pounds, I know EXACTLY how to lose them again. This is the main reason why I don't panic when my weight fluctuates. I say to myself "hey, if I am gaining weight I know I can lose it", but usually the scales go back down and I don't have to change a thing. It takes all the fear out of undoing the good I have done.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It is so good to see such a positive posting to show that weight loss in not linear and food is not something to fear. Weight does naturally fluctuate and it really does take an awful lot of calories to gain actual fat. Thank you so much for this great post.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Great advice ! Thanks for the positive post.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Well I said I'd report back my gain from my vacation.

Arrived: Monday
    Departed: Friday
    (So not even five full days of eating.)

Gained? 6 pounds. Ouch.

Back on track to lose them. One down, more to go.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! We go on a few vacations per year and I never limit myself and only enjoy the full vacation. Soon as I get back, I start logging again with a deficit and within 2-3 weeks I am back to my maintenance weight!
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that your water weight came off quickly. Unfortunately, any water weight that I gain doesn't magically come off in a week. I'm still fighting with 3 pounds gained a week and a half ago. It sucks, but not all metabolisms are created equal.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I totally see where you are coming from. Since I don't weigh myself, (going on 3 months) I don't look at the numbers anymore. However, for me, I still have to be careful on vacation. Example, last week we went to the beach and I didn't move enough, ate way too much ice cream, and couldn't fit into my clothes when I got back. BIG problem!
  • devriessue
    devriessue Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thank you for this inspiration.. just a wee little addition, if you don't mind. I think when we are young, the weight comes off faster. The older you get, it seems harder to take weight off as easily but it does come back down eventually!! Thank you again!!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This should be recommended reading!
    Thanks for sharing and well done too..do you think a fast day would be a good way of getting it over with?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    cool now if I could just vacation 365 days out of the year i could be free
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is very relevant for me too. We're heading off on a holiday soon to northern Europe and my god to I plan to eat ALL the sausages and salmon and potatoes and awesome buffet breakfasts and delicious baked goods. And all the beer and vodka too.

I keep having moments of anxiety about gaining weight, but I've been trying to remind myself that last year after my holiday I seemed to have gain 3 kg when I got home, but most of it was gone within 2 weeks, and probably mostly water weight. There are so many amazing places to walk to every day - we just don't bother with buses, trains or trams unless we have to, and that helps.

Also, long haul flights leave me puffed up like an air balloon for a day or two after I return, every single time. Can barely wear my wedding ring and shoes leaves dents in my feet. Attractive, I know, but it helps to keep in mind that it is not fat gain but a consequence of flying for 20+ hours! :P

I want to be able to enjoy my holidays for what they are - amazing adventures that I will remember for the rest of my life. I don't want to be worried about gaining a kilo here or there. It's easy enough to lose those when I get home, but I am trying to turn my mindset away from fearing that weight gain so much all holiday that I can't enjoy the time I have there.

Thanks for this post!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    thank you for this inspiration.. just a wee little addition, if you don't mind. I think when we are young, the weight comes off faster. The older you get, it seems harder to take weight off as easily but it does come back down eventually!! Thank you again!!
    I'm 54 - not sure if you would call that young!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This should be recommended reading!
    Thanks for sharing and well done too..do you think a fast day would be a good way of getting it over with?
    I do normally follow a fasting routine (I did the 5:2 routine while losing weight and maintain on 6:1 eating pattern at maintenance).
    To avoid the numbers getting skewed by fasting I just ate "normally" for the week after my holiday.

Yes fasting would give you a higher deficit quickly but I wouldn't encourage people that don't normally fast to do so for a quick loss, that just seems a bit like a "punishment" for enjoying yourself. It's not a race after all.
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I so needed this reminder today! Thanks!
  • carlyjaner
    carlyjaner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I was so worried about putting the weight back on when I go on holiday.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Well I said I'd report back my gain from my vacation.

Arrived: Monday
    Departed: Friday
    (So not even five full days of eating.)

Gained? 6 pounds. Ouch.

Back on track to lose them. One down, more to go.

Weight is officially off. Did 5:2 the week I came back and adios. The first few days the weight didn't want to move but after that, all good.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes this is a timely post--thankyou. I will soon be transfering to the beach here in Italy---Rome is hot and dusty in the summer. The locals all go away. I will not be logging, since we don't have internet there. I will be gone 2 months, so I will still be weighing myself everyday (I learned long ago it's dangerous not to). Last year was my first year on MFP, so I watched my portion size. I ate a little of everything though, and we eat out at least twice a week---the pizza is fantastic here, as is the seafood. I am active with housework, gardening,shopping on my bicycle, and cooking in the heat,laundry, plus walks on the beach and swimming. I have a "working" vacation, since the house is full of family. Last year I was able to maintain, and I hope to do the same this year. It's my break from counting calories. When I return mid-september I will try to lose that last 10 lbs. Wishing all of you a wonderful summer. :smile:
  • Dugie86
    Dugie86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this today. My daughter went into labor on Sunday and had an emergency c section on Monday evening. I stepped on the scale and had gained 4lbs. I know I ate crappy hospital food and didn't exercise at all in about 4 days but this threw me for a loop. I need to get back on track and not get so frustrated.