Why am I my own worst enemy?

Options
I can't understand why I am constantly sabotaging myself.

I have 15 - 20 lbs to lose, and have been losing and gaining back the same 5 for a few years now. The success I have had has always comes from common-sense weight loss practices (log food, cut back on treats, up the veggies, exercise etc.) but I always end up giving up, either gradually by slowly letting my eating habits slip and the junk to creep back in, or by having a weakness, a craving in the supermarket, that once I give in to, I just give up on the whole thing.

I hate the way I look. None of my clothing fits me right, I look pregnant (my youngest is 3.5!), and it's so frustrating. And yet, I know that it's all me. My overall motivation can't seem to be sustained, and I end up saying things to myself like, "Writing down every morsel of food is no way to live!" and "I work hard all day, why can't I just end it with Chubby Hubby on my couch!"

Does anyone else do this to themselves? Have you managed to break this cycle and stop undermining your efforts?

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well honestly a lot of people will try to tell you a lot of things but it boils down to this. You like food, A lot and you don't have anything else that you do that you can devote yourself too enough to distract you from it. Or you don't want to lose weight enough to counteract your love of food.

You can tell yourself you want to be fit and healthy but honestly if sitting down with lots of delicious food is one of your favorite things to do weight loss will always be impossible. You need to find other things to do that engage you to the extent that hunger becomes more of an annoyance to be dealt with rather than a constant siren song.

I know it's disappointing to hear but the problem is entirely internal. You have to want to be healthy and you have to want to lose weight enough to give up something you clearly truly enjoy. Till that happens nothing will work.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    For me I adjusted my weight loss goal from 1 lb to .5 lb per week and that seemed to help me fit in more food in the day, including things I liked. You can't ignore cravings forever either. They need to be planned to be consumed in a controlled manner, whatever that is for you. For instance could you buy a single serving of it, or a lot of it and share with people so it's gone immediately? :)

Logging can also be fairly straight forward and easy if you use the app. My answer to "logging everything is no way to live" usually has to do with the smartphone. I think of all the bull**** apps I have on there and use everyday. Why not something that's super easy to use, takes only a minute of my life per day and improves or maintains my health?

Now if you're fairly close to goal weight you really should be liking what you see in the mirror. 20 lbs doesn't seem like a lot of excess weight to me. Do you do weight or resistance training of any kind? Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym

For tips on your specific diet and exercise , you may wish to make your diary public for the time:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm not really any help here just want to chime in. I could have written this almost word for word! Even my youngest is exactly 3.5. Since 2011 I have constantly yo-yoed losing and gaining the same 10 pounds. I could go on but basically everything you said is what happens to me. I slowly lose my way and things go back to the way they were. It's like I just cannot remember why I am doing what I am doing.

My husband and I have joked that this time I made it through my "Week 5 failure" that I had the last two times I made an effort (5 weeks.... lame).

This time I don't know what is different for me and I don't know if I will make it, but I FEEL more positive than I ever have before (or at least remember feeling). I have not missed a single day logging my food, I don't go over (OR mentally beat myself up) if I miss a day of exercise, and I stay within my calories almost all the time and I'm not suffering for that. I make room in my foods for things that I want to eat and crave, or I would go crazy. I have extra calories at night for treats.

I don't have anything genuinely helpful because it's only been six weeks for me (this time...) so it's not like I am any success story here. I am just praying for myself that this time I stick with this new lifestyle change. I have to want it bad enough - and so do you. Only we can make it happen for ourselves.

You can do it!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I also bought a really cute dress that is hanging on my closet door and I can't wait to wear it :) I have no idea if this actually works for people but I figured I would try.
  • aroojshoaib
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean; a busy lifestyle with young children can be very demanding and leave you feeling tired and frustrated . I barely get 7 hours sleep and from the moment I get up till I go to bed I am constantly on the go, so naturally I feel the need to eat unheatlhy carbs just to cope.

I find taking it one day at a time helps, there are days when I am just constantly hungry and eat the wrong kinds of food and then feel really angry with myself but there are also days when I eat a balanced diet and substitute all unhealthy snacks for healthier options, the goal is to have a lot more of the healthy days with the occasional lapse. Another thing which I find helpful is never to have junk food in the house, no matter how tempting the bogof's at the supermarket I buy a lot more of the fruit and nuts instead of the chocolate and crisps.

Finally, don't be so hard on yourself you are mum to a 3.5 year old and I know how much hard work it is, you have to believe you can loose the weight and think positively and YOU WILL get there.
  • abilulu
    abilulu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well honestly a lot of people will try to tell you a lot of things but it boils down to this. You like food, A lot and you don't have anything else that you do that you can devote yourself too enough to distract you from it. Or you don't want to lose weight enough to counteract your love of food.

You can tell yourself you want to be fit and healthy but honestly if sitting down with lots of delicious food is one of your favorite things to do weight loss will always be impossible. You need to find other things to do that engage you to the extent that hunger becomes more of an annoyance to be dealt with rather than a constant siren song.

I know it's disappointing to hear but the problem is entirely internal. You have to want to be healthy and you have to want to lose weight enough to give up something you clearly truly enjoy. Till that happens nothing will work.

Thank you for this real talk!
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is me all over. I am exactly the same. I complain that I am unhappy and that I have no clothes that fit me properly but I will not buy clothes until I lose the weight - I have about 7 great weeks and have lost 10 lbs, then I slack and once I start - there's no stopping me.

I don't have a hobby - I go to work all day, pick my daughter up from creche, come home and cook dinner and tidy the dinner away - maybe do some washing. Tidy up around the house - then I'm tired so I'll go to bed and am able to sleep at 8.30. The next day - the same cycle :(

I pine at people that look fantastic - but I can't help from continuing to eat what I'm not supposed to - and in vast quantities. In the day I have amazing motivation, it's just the evening I can't help myself. I have put back on 3lbs of the 15bs I have lost on my ticker. I have to learn to keep going to see good results. But my enjoyment comes from food. :cry:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,296 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can be much help because I am now 64, but I remember that exhausted young mum feeling as iff it were yesterday. One of the problems is a mild depression. Nothing serious, but you have to have something that gets the energy flowing in your life. Try out something new - it doesn't have to be weight related, just something that excites you. That will lift your mood and give you some motivation for the diet.
    No one could love food more than me - I live for it and regularly entertain. I am lucky in that I now have time to cook and exercise, but you can do it if you make sure there are always healthy, tasty snacks in the house for when you are feeling exhausted and maybe batch cook one day a week for the freezer. I have a very fit husband who needs to eat loads, so I pile up his carbs and butter and stick to veg accompaniments and shiritaki noodles. But the main thing is in your own head - you are worth it! :flowerforyou:
    By the way, my photo is me at nearly my fattest weight - see my profile photos for the new me!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Your title had me singing that Lit song to myself 'My own worst enemy' - good song.

Maybe write down your thoughts and feelings now and when you start to slip read through them?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In all honesty you either want to lose the weight or you don't...

If you keep sabatoging yourself then stop.

You have lots of time to exercise and exercise will give you energy. You have the tools at your disposal to log your food...most have a smart phone so the app is with you all the time...

To be frank the only "excuse" you have is that you really don't want it bad enough...
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    This happened for me also. 2 years back i lost weight 17 lbs by dieting and working out. But once i lost that weight i felt very good and was going for shopping and totally forgot to maintain that weight. Then again i gained 6 lbs and for 1.5 years it was same, was maintaining the same weight.

Now from 6 months i am strictly following the healthy life style and again lost 8 lbs :happy: . Now i am so much motivated and will never give up still i reach my goal weight.

My advice is don't lose patience, it will take time but the result will come for sure. But you must have to give your 100%.Don't give up ...best of luck
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    They say: "know your ennemy". You are fortunate since you know her well, now learn how to minimise her influence :0).

Work on one aspect of your sabotage technique at a time, then change the next behavior.

My biggest down fall was thinking that I can fix it tomorrow......I have two choices do it now and finish from it or wait to find another excuse to not do anything about it tomorrow. It is like quitting cigarettes you might not succeed the first or second time but each time you are a little stronger since you have learned where are your triggers and eventually you succeed.

So I am wishing you a great success this time.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Two things that helped me get to goal (and stay there)
    1. Enjoy the food I sometimes overeat without guilt.
    2. Go right back to my calorie goal the next day.

Seems simple, but oh what a difference this has made for me.

One other thing-hunger cannot be a part of a successful lifestyle change!
    Make sure your deficit leaves you satisfied and happy!

Cityjane you look fantastic!
  • abilulu
    abilulu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...good to know others struggle with this as well, and good to know people have gotten past it.

Good luck to us all :)
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, before attempting again to lose weight, you should try to understand why this happened to you, or better why do you do this to yourself. :smile: