I'm so hungry I could eat the bathtub...

Options
Isn't there a Shel Silverstein poem about that? :smile: Type A part of me loves the tracking, but I would love nothing more than a giant warm brownie with ice cream and caramel sauce right now!!!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    go to outback, chocolate thunder from down under, OMGGGGGGGG!!!!
  • zaina510
    zaina510 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    mmmm.. warm brownie. that sounds delicious.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I don't know the bathtub one, but I know he wrote a poem about the girl who ate a whale. LOL!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? You shouldn't be that hungry...
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Some strategic planning can help you satisfy those hunger pains (so you don't eat the bathtub :smile: ).

Here are some guidelines that have helped me:
    Plan the "splurges" - If you want a brownie, ice cream and caramel, why not fit it in? It is all about portion sizes and moderation.

Log meals and snacks for the day in advance. - each night I already have a good part of the next day logged. If you already have it logged, it is easier to stick by it...or turn down that extra large milkshake in favor of a small milkshake.

Have snacks available that fit within your calorie allotment (whether it is 2 bite size Snickers or a granola bar,etc. that is your choice :smile: ) - if I already have my snack for the day with me and have it logged, it makes it easier to turn down or resist other foods.

Log everything - this is important, especially when starting out. If you are not logging correctly, you can easily be going drastically over or under your calorie goals.

Measure, or better yet, weigh your food whenever possible - This goes hand in hand with logging correctly. My food scale is an invaluable tool! If you don't have a food scale, I would highly recommend getting one. A nice basic one is all you will need, I would recommend a flat top, not a bowl, so you can set dishes, pans, etc on it.

This is not a diet, this is the new "normal" -Dieting has the mindset about restrictions. I don't agree with that. It is a mind thing; if you think you can't have a particular food, that is exactly what you want. It can make you feel guilty when you fall off the train making it even more difficult to climb back on. I like more the moderation train of thought. I wanted to be able to eat "real food" (although the definition of real food has changed somewhat for me), not feel miserable from lack of food and lose weight not just for the sake of losing weight but to be healthy.

Sometimes you just need the break and that is ok, just don't keep taking a break for the following meal, the next day, the next week, etc. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • lorileahb
    lorileahb Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks! I'm planning a splurge this weekend on something with chocolate! :) Since I can't add much exercise to my routine (back surgery / degenerative discs), I'm stuck with a 1,200 calorie a day limit according to myfitnesspal. Saving up for a splurge means half a days calories, but maybe I'll just take a day off once every two weeks - nothing major... just enough to have a real dessert.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Any chance you live near Boston? There's a hotel with a chocolate buffet. It's kind of amazing, it would be a good splurge this weekend.
  • lorileahb
    Options
    Not this weekend - but I am going to Boston for work in August. What hotel? Sounds wonderful!
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I read it as "would love nothing more than a giant worm brownie" and thought "that's absolutely disgusting."
    Maybe you should just put worms in a brownie and eat it. You'll be so horrified that you won't want brownies for months.
  • lalamoose64
    lalamoose64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A bathtub full of carrots..... Sometime I eat so many carrots i feel like a juicer:)
  • lorileahb
    Options
    Hmmm - can't even picture a worm brownie... just delicious brownie. :wink:
  • akoorn1982
    akoorn1982 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    please don't eat the bathtub...it is quite heavy on the stomach :P
  • aniegurl
    aniegurl Posts: 24
    Options
    My friend and I have this thing we say to each other when we get a really bad craving, it came from this motivational book we read-

"Then just stay fat"

If you are going to binge eat- Then just stay fat

If you are going to eat the whole box of cookies- Then just stay fat

If you don't want to work out- Then just stay fat

Its not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, its just put our habits in perspective

Good Luck and Stay strong- You can totally do this!
  • lorileahb
    Options
    My friend and I have this thing we say to each other when we get a really bad craving, it came from this motivational book we read-

"Then just stay fat"

If you are going to binge eat- Then just stay fat

If you are going to eat the whole box of cookies- Then just stay fat

If you don't want to work out- Then just stay fat

Its not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, its just put our habits in perspective

Good Luck and Stay strong- You can totally do this!

Thanks! :) I did end up eating Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to the tune of 200 calories, but way better than a 800+ calorie dessert out... baby steps!
  • golf4g
    golf4g Posts: 58
    Options
    Like the way you and your GF's think! Sense of humor with common sense thrown in!