Does the time of day we eat affect our weight?

Options
So, I am 25, 170cm and weigh 88kg. I am down from 112 last July when I had my first child!!
I have lost 24kgs and counting, and I am actually starting to become fit!

I eat 1200 calories a day, but I tend to eat 200 for breakfast, 300 for lunch and anywhere between 300-500 for dinner and the rest is snacks. My meals are always really healthy. Does the time of day we eat the calories make a difference to our weightloss?

I tell myself that as long as I burn more than I eat I won't gain weight, but I don't really know if the time I eat the most calories matters?

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are awesome, I am so glad I have found these forums.
Keep up the great work everyone ????????????

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    No, unless medical issues are involved.
  • Creiddylad
    Creiddylad Posts: 27
    Options
    No
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yes, 100% it does. It's 10:30pm and I just ate dinner. When I get up at 6am, I'll weight slightly more than if I ate dinner at 6pm. This is because I'll have had 4.5 hours less to digest and burn what I just ate.

Other than that, no.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know there are some people who recommended not eating after 7 PM and stuff like that but I actually find for myself that the later I eat dinner, the easier it is to stick to my calorie goal and not snack later on. For example last night it was hot out so I waited until 7 pm to go for a run and then ate dinner around 9:30. I stayed full until bedtime which does not happen if I eat dinner earlier. Whatever works for you!!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    No the whole don't eat after 6pm 7pm or 8pm thing is a whole myth a calorie is a calorie any time of day wouldn't it be great if they had a chocolate calorie free hour this is as realistic as a time of night making you gain more weight by eating
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd say whatever you're doing now is working a treat so keep it up! :)

PS: I noticed we're a very similar height (within 2cm) would you mind sharing your goal.weight?
  • seaxx
    seaxx Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'm doing pretty well.

My goal weight is 80kg I know that would still make me overweight according to my BMI, but I feel that, 80kgs is an acheivable weight considering how far I have come!
    I am an Aussie, so I'm not sure what that works out to in pounds!

61 pounds for you is awesome, what is your goal weight?
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hehe, I'm an Aussie too! (WA)
    I'm not sure what my goal should be. I arbitrarily chose 75kg when I started but got to that and wasn't happy, now I'm approaching 70kg and while I'm still a bit "flabby" I think I might be getting close to what I can happily maintain so that will likely be my goal. We'll both have lost roughly the same amount of weight when we reach goal, go us! :D
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking no. However, personal goals can factor into it. For example, if you wanted to do fasted cardio for fat loss, then yes. What's more important is timing the calories for meals around workouts. In my case, I generally workout around 4pm. I plan most of my calories and carb intake earlier in the day. After my workouts, for dinner, I stick w/ veggies (yes, I know there are carbs in veggies), and protein.

If what you are currently doing is working, don't fret the small stuff. That's all this really is. Great job on your loss thus far!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Meal timing should not affect your weight loss. It may affect the weight you see on the scale the next morning (due to food and water still in the system). It also might affect your energy levels, hunger, gym performance, and that sort of thing throughout the day. Which is why each person should find the eating schedule that works best for them.