does weight watchers work?

Options
So we have a weight watchers meeting at my job and people have talked about it and how much they like or dislike it. I'm trying to get help with my weight loss and one problem i have is that i cant cook to save my life! Seriously I burn water!!! I would say that's probably one of the reasons I am the way I am, that I cant eat healthy!! So I figured maybe try weight watchers, but I hate spending money on something that doesn't work. I tried to Google it and I got mixed reactions to WW. I dont even know how this all works, I mean people were talking about food they provide and how its not very good. Well I get that its healthy food so its not going to be as good as that unhealthy doughnut but I prefer my healthy food to at least taste a little good. So who is ever on WW or have tried it in the past can you shed some light on how the whole thing works. Thanks :-)

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I don't like weight watchers, have never wanted to use it, but sure, it works. It all works. People just have to follow it and follow the suggestions.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    my weight loss and one problem i have is that i cant cook to save my life! Seriously I burn water!!!

Everyone can cook. You just have to try. There is no excuse. But I say don't spend money on weight watchers. Use this web site. Stick around, you will learn lots of stuff here. Just make sure you put on your armor and thick skin helmet on because people here are really supportive and sometimes they can be really blunt.

But, it's ALL good.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It all works. People just have to follow it and follow the suggestions.

+1
    Weight Watchers works only if you do as well. Weight Watchers worked for me but MFP also works and it's free. If you want to spend money then buy some exercise clothes and a food scale and stick to MFP.
  • tonyamt2
    tonyamt2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers works but it can be expensive. MFP is free and works just as well! I have done both and prefer MFP over Weight Watchers. You don't have to cook to lose weight. You just have to eat foods that are within your calories for the day. I very rarely cook and have been successful. There are all kinds of food options available.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some people do very well in a group setting. You can try it.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    So we have a weight watchers meeting at my job and people have talked about it and how much they like or dislike it. I'm trying to get help with my weight loss and one problem i have is that i cant cook to save my life! Seriously I burn water!!! I would say that's probably one of the reasons I am the way I am, that I cant eat healthy!! So I figured maybe try weight watchers, but I hate spending money on something that doesn't work. I tried to Google it and I got mixed reactions to WW. I dont even know how this all works, I mean people were talking about food they provide and how its not very good. Well I get that its healthy food so its not going to be as good as that unhealthy doughnut but I prefer my healthy food to at least taste a little good. So who is ever on WW or have tried it in the past can you shed some light on how the whole thing works. Thanks :-)

I did weight watchers online and had success. It pretty much teaches portion control. There were things I really liked about WW (like the anytime points.) The only thing I wasn't a fan of was their mobile app. MFP's mobile app is by far superior and it's free. If you stick with WW it will work. But if you stick with MFP it will also work.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've dipped in and out of weight watchers a few times over the years. It works for me initially - the few 2 weeks can show pretty impressive weight losses. Then I stop / slow down on the water losses and my weight stalls.

I quite liked the points aspect initally, its smaller numbers to count than calories, and it sounds like you might win something if you get the points right. But in the end it's not really much different to tracking foods here - it's just here it's calories that are counted not "points." But here is a hell of a lot cheaper!

It's not bad - it's a system that followed correctly will limit your calorie intake. And it is done in a setting that encourages you to make healthier food choices and back it up with exercise. Again - all of that you can get here.

I've decided that weight watchers isn't for me - I was only using it online in the end - and paying through the nose for it! I have a friend that still goes - but only because she believes that the weekly weigh in makes her more likely to stick to the diet. In the end it works for some, not for others - it's about finding what is right for you.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Worked for me. Without going into great detail, WW gives you points instead of calories. Stay within your points, exercise to earn more, attend meetings or don't... If you want to give it a shot, you can always do the free online trial and I believe your first meeting is also free. If not, MFP is also great tool. Like any program, you get out of it what you put into it. You just need to decide which tool fits your lifestyle best. Good luck!
  • Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't personally use WW, the actual program, I do however buy a lot of their food at the grocery store. I actually prefer the WW frozen meals over Lean cuisines and Healthy Choice. They have a lot of options, and they actually taste halfway decent, not to mention that they make other food options, such as shredded cheese and cream cheese, which I use almost everyday, and they taste no diff than the regular full fat brands. I highly recommend the ww whipped cream cheese with chive and onion! So like I said, I don't use their actual program, but their food choices are not bad, if you are looking to cut down and don't want to cook. Hope this helps a little. :)
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    im not a fan of WW, it costs alot of money to get weighed and listen to someone sell their product. You dont need any of that. MFP is awesome and you can eat whatever you like(so long as it fits in your calories) - when it comes to cooking, you obviously burn water because your not watching the pot. Anyone can cook, stand there, follow the recipe and watch the food so it doesnt burn. Cook on a low heat if you must, but absolutely everyone can cook if they want to
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This i have experience with ultimately you will find those who love it and those who don't its personal preference but for me i think its great short term everyone i know gained after a year because they need it to be successful so people spread the word but it cant be that brilliant as they need to keep making money just my opinion
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    WW is not like Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem where you purchase entire meals. The foods that they sell at their meeting centers are things like smoothie powders, portioned pretzels/chips/crackers packs, oatmeal packs, snack bars, little things like that. Their smart ones are available in any grocery store.

You will still have to cook on Weight Watchers.
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It works... you just have to be willing to follow its rules. They basically assign points instead of calories to foods and you have to stay within your points. If you like to be in a group setting I think it is great. For me it was always my go to "diet" since I was 13. It never worked for me long term because I never stuck with it. However, I have family and friends that have been very successful on it. Counting actual calories seems to work better for me, I'm not sure why. I feel like I have more freedom when I do so.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    yes weight watchers works, and so does MFP. I have lost 63 lbs and never once stepped into a weight watchers meeting. Like you I am also a pretty bad cook. Please look at my diary and you can see what I eat that has helped me to lose this weight. I am still losing by the way. I would suggest getting a gym membership and some workout clothes before spending money on weight watchers. Get a really good pair of gym shoes... and for the real way you will change your body... LIFT HEAVY!!!!!
  • Pixiemops
    Pixiemops Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    WW doesn't work for me because I don't like being told what to do! I'm finding MFP so much more flexible. I make my own choices and take the consequences. I weigh daily and not dreading the one weigh day out of seven where I might be praised heartily or not ;(
    The other great thing about MFP is the mobile app. It is brilliant for food tracking. I didn't find the WW one to be as good.

On the other hand if a few colleagues that you like are going and you get a good vibe going then it might be great for motivation. It's a system that does work if you can stick to it.

Good luck whatever you choose.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40 lbs or so following weight watchers. I found it very useful in teaching me portion control as mentioned and it still allowed me to enjoy the things I love and nothing was necessarily off limits. That being said, as I got lower, I stopped losing on the points I was allowed, and once I switched to calorie counting and started doing more of my own learning about TDEE and my body, I realized I was eating too low on weight watchers as I got to the lower weight. So does it work? Yes, I think it does...it's essentially an easier way to count calories and learn about eating healthy. I've found my friends on mfp to be just as good for ME to help me with accountability, which is where their meetings come into play. It's all about what kind of person you are, and what will motivate you! Good luck!
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Any diet program would work. When i did weight watchers 6 years ago I lost about 70 pounds. Problem was i stopped the program and stopped counting calories and the weight came back in a matter of minutes. Any program you do, you need to remember that there is no magic formula they are trying to sell you. They show you how to eat smaller portion sizes, get your fruits and veggies, and offer you ways to eat healthy.

The pro about weight watchers (if you do it in person in a WW Center) is the lectures and community aspect.

The cons about weight watchers is the overall cost. There is nothing you can achieve at weight watchers that you can not already do here on MFP for free. No matter what program you do decide to do, you will have to make a conscious effort to eat better, exercise more, and change your lifestyle.

I wish you all the best and good luck!
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Worked for me very very well. The aspect of having to pay wasn't that big of a deal for me. I was saving more than the monthly cost by no longer buying so much expensive 'junk' food. Huge bags of chips, chocolate, goodies.....not cheap....especially in the volume I was buying.

I lost over 60lbs and have been a lifetime member for about six years. We had the meetings at work for about three years and to this day most of the members from each session check in with each other (probably 100 or so of us). Wednesdays we have a support meeting with a few of us who still need to have that encouragement to continue. I know I do better with a cheering section behind me so doing something only online or without 'live and in person' interaction isn't really an option for me personally.

I learned portion control and that was my biggest challenge (still is sometimes). I never purchased any of their foods so I can't comment on that side of things. That was the reason I actually chose to join - I knew I'd have to learn how to eat in the real world...not the world of prepackaged stuff.

And, you'd be amazed by how fun it is to actually learn how to cook!! :)
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. I liked weight watchers but I like MFP better because I don't feel as limited in my choices. I did the on-line version of WW and had success before I joined MFP. I've lost and been able to maintain over 50 pounds for several years. I just want to lose a little more. I believe that consistency is the key in any program you do.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    weight watchers does work, I've never tried their foods (other than the ice cream bars) but it works the same way as MFP. Instead of counting calories you count points. It's typically 1 point for every 50 calories. I'm sure you can grill a chicken breast (or bake), steam some veggies (or boil), and nuke a potato. Don't try cooking a bunch of fancy stuff...start with basic cooking, and once you feel comortable, you can start making other things. All cooking is, is following directions. Read recipes (basic) and know what temp it has to be and how long to cook. You will find that cooking isn't all that hard. Good luck to you!