Cheat Days: Necessary or Inappropriate

Good morning everyone. My name is Chelsea and I have been struggling with weightloss all my life. This past year I have made big strides to get to my goal weight and am well on my way. Whenever I speak to other people who are dieting or trying to lose weight, I always get mixed reviews about cheat days.

I feel that Cheat Days are a must. I feel like some people when they are dieting are so determined and dedicated that they make food the enemy. I commend these people on their effort, will and determination, however, depriving yourself of your favorite foods seems mentally unhealthy and impossible (you will eat pizza again someday lol). Of course I am not saying go on all out binges but I do believe that once a week you should have that greasy slice of pizza with stuffed crust. Is it good for the waistline no, but its a reminder that you are human and that food is not the enemy, infact more an ally in your weightloss journey. I love food and I feel like once a week you need to have a cheat day so that you can enjoy the foods you love and remind yourself that you can enjoy food in a healthy way and in moderation. Food doesnt have to become a calculation for the rest of your life because this once a week you are allowed to enjoy and not worry. Some people are super against them and call them a crutch, whereas other feel they are very important to include when trying to lose weight. What do you guys think?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    i think they are necessary, but i dont really call them "cheat days" persay. i just have a treat every now and then, you have to indulge the odd time or theres a good chance you'll end up with a bad binge. just like the odd time you'll have a couple of drinks, or even take a week vacation, you need to let loose every once and awhile

the people who call them a crutch are typically the people who think they are better than others.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I follow IIFYM, no need to 'cheat', you can fit a bit of pizza or a doughnut in your cals and macros if you plan a little.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Cheat days are whatever you want them to be. You could try to fill small treats in everyday, you could eat it all at once then feel bloated and guilty? (I used to feel like that when I tried cheat days few times). Soo it's really your choice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    I feel they are neither since I don't consider any food "cheating".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member

IDEA Fitness member

QFT
  • drich1989
    drich1989 Posts: 95 Member
    I'm still in the beginning stages of my weight loss and for right now I need cheat days. I too love food and constantly get cravings for cake, burgers etc. If I just want a little something like a brownie or coke I will make sure to fit it in my calories. But, if I want something and know it's going to be way over what I'm allowed (like pizza, I cant have just one slice) then I make it a cheat day and eat up. My hope is that as I progress and feel the benefits of weight loss that I will no longer need or want the cheat days.
  • PeachyKeen614
    PeachyKeen614 Posts: 6 Member
    "Cheating" a bit maybe once a week is really necessary for me. I think of it as rewarding myself for coming this far in my journey. However, I make it a "cheat meal" instead of a day. My biggest problem with this is I have to be careful not to tell myself "well, you've already eaten one junk item, there's no turning back now so you might as well eat another" because basically I love food, and afterward I would not be able to forgive myself :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    I just eat what I want in moderation.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I think they are necessary. When you eat in deficit for so long it kills your metabolism. One day of eating more restores it not fully but still increases it a little.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    I don't think they are necessary or inappropriate - all comes down to personal preference.
  • thenewme4647
    thenewme4647 Posts: 3 Member
    I do have a cheat day but it's only for dinner. I do think of as cheating I think of as dinner change something different :-) :wink:
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    I have one every Sunday, and I call them "treat days". I find that the positive vs. negative connotation really helps how I think about it. I usually eat AT or BELOW maintenance still, but I allow my calories to be whatever I want. So if I want pizza, I can have it. I have found that by pursuing a healthy lifestyle on the six other days a week, I can't eat as much, nor do I want to. Eating fattening, carb-laden food makes me feel sluggish and gross. I don't even want it anymore! So I just end up with little treats and I've even lost weight a few weekends by doing it this way.

Do what works for you, but listen to your body. If eating that way makes you feel bad, don't do it.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    I think it you have a huge deficit it's probably harmless to skip a day of logging. I eat at a 250 calorie deficit so it's got to fit (and at a 250 cal deficit most things do).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

IDEA Fitness member
    Yep, this.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    I think different strokes for different folks. If people can go weeks and months on end without a treat day then fair enough but I personally couldn't do.
    Every Saturday is my treat day (I prefer to call it tread day cause I don't feel i'm cheating having one day a week off. This one day I feel keeps me on track through the week cause I know I have something to look forward. As long as I'm good sun-fri then this one day has never affected my weight loss, infact I think it helps boost your metabolism. I don't calorie count on my treat day, anything goes. This Sat i'm out for a meal with the best ffriend and I intend on having something like burger and chips and possibly dessert if I can manage it mmm :tongue:
  • MadriverDell
    MadriverDell Posts: 14 Member
    Very good video by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff on cheat days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwdpsJCoF_A
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    I don't think they are necessary or inappropriate - all comes down to personal preference.

I agree with this. Different things work for different people. I didn't use "cheat days" while losing, and I typically abstain from "treat" type of foods. I generally think about what I could eat instead--and to me, the "instead" ends up being more filling/satisfying. Especially now that I'm doing a lot of weight lifting and other things on a structured plan, my body can tell when I've eaten treats and doesn't perform as well. So I usually decide against treats. But by all means, if someone else needs/wants to indulge regularly, that's great. And it's not like I never have treats, just super rarely, and I don't call them cheats.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I follow IIFYM, no need to 'cheat', you can fit a bit of pizza or a doughnut in your cals and macros if you plan a little.

^this I eat what I want I just plan to fit it in. The only foods I don't eat, are the ones I don't like, otherwise I eat what I like I just fit it in.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Not a whole day of cheating. I think that can lead to too much food.
    But I "cheat" all the time. I pretty much have what I want whenever. If I am careful, I plan for a treat and make "room". If not, I would still track it and see by how much I was over my goal and move on.

You can't stick to a diet if you are deprived all the time. Most people would agree. But you can be smart about it.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    If you're talking about a cheat day once a month or something I don't think that's a deal breaker. You are human, bbq's happen and there are margaritas to be had. Go forth and enjoy said bbq's and margaritas, it's ok to be human.

Don't get in the habit of having a weekly cheat day where you just eat whatever and don't record. One thing I do is I save a little calories each day during the week to spend during the weekend. If I can save 200 calories monday through friday that adds up to 1,000 calories. That's like a bunch of beers man, nice.