Solid Calories Vs. Liquid Calories

Options
I am curious about why I can consume 430 calories in a smoothie made with banana, pineapple, strawberries, lowfat vanilla yogurt and OJ and it does nothing to my hunger - I mean nothing. I ran 3 miles this morning and that is more calories then the run, I am blending the fruit. I can eat a breakfast sandwich made with 1 egg, 1 sausage patty, 2% cheese slice on and english muffin for about the same calories and I can maintain until at least 11 ( I eat about 7:30).

On a side note, I have an under active thyroid and am on medication (about 6 months now), I run between 10 - 15 miles per week, 3 - 4 times and I try to do some strength training at least once a week. I consume about 14,000 - 18,000 calories a day and I am hungry all the time. ALL THE TIME. If I consistently eat over 16,000 calories I gain weight. I'm 5'6 and currently weigh 147. I was down to 136 last summer while training for a half but this was before my thyroid medication. I'd like to get back down under 140, but I am bored with eating the same hings everyday. I don't like raw veggies at all but love grilled veggies. I don't mind fruit but I blend it hoping for more bang for my buck.

Why aren't all calories created equal? I mean I get that you can eat a ton of veggies and they rich in fiber and low in calories, but why am I more full after eating a cup of pineapple then blending it with yogurt and stuff? If I ate a cup of yogurt with fruit in it I would be more full then blending it all together in a smoothie... I don't get it!

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Your smoothie is all carbs that wiil make your insulin spike and drop and you will feel hungry, whereas the other choice has fat and protein and carbs:and will keep you feeling full for:longer, as it takes longer to digest....
    And I take it you meant to say kilojoules and not calories....because that much calories a day will probably kill you..
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Your smoothie is all carbs that wiil make your insulin spike and drop and you will feel hungry, whereas the other choice has fat and protein and carbs:and will keep you feeling full for:longer, as it takes longer to digest....

Precisely.

I've heard the notion bandied about that the body somehow doesn't "get the signal" that liquids contain calories, so one doesn't feel full after drinking them. Except that drinking lots of water, which has no calories, is supposed to make one feel full. This makes no sense to me.

It seems much more likely that since most calorie-containing liquids are primarily carbohydrates, the body reacts to them as astrampe said. Think about it...ever drink a glass of butter or cream [fat]? A cup of pureed meat [protein]? Probably not, and a relatively small amount of either would be filling. A big glass of pureed fruit with skim milk or fat-free yogurt, or a large soda [carbohydrates]? Sure, easily.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know why - but I also don't feel full typically from drinks. Thin or thick. I need food. I do add a 100 calorie protein shake most days, but its more to up my protein than to have in place of a meal.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you feel full when you eat the same foods, but in solid form, maybe the problem is that by making it into a smoothie, your are doing some of the work for your body. It doesn't take as long to digest because you have already broken it down somewhat. Just my guess.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try adding a scoop of protein powder, or tbsp of peanut butter to your smoothie.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    And I take it you meant to say kilojoules and not calories....because that much calories a day will probably kill you..

And the protein and carb combo doesn't make your insulin spike and drop? Sounds like quite the magic breakfast sandwich
  • MimiMedrano
    Options
    I regularly drink smoothies made with a scoop of protein powder, 2 tbsp of pb2, 1 c skim milk, 2 c spinach leaves and 8-10 ice cubes. It's VERY filling and sustaining.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I also find that drinks/liquids (even those containing protein powder) do nothing for hunger or fullness for me. My own personal preference is to eat and chew my calories, rather than drink them. Sounds like it should be your personal preference too.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Like a PP said, your smoothie is primarily carbs (sugars from the fruit). You need some fat and protein in the smoothie for it to satisfy you. I am not a huge fan of smoothies because they don't keep me full for long, but they keep me full for longer if I have fat and protein in them. You can add nut butter, protein powder, chia seeds, all sorts of things to get the fat and protein up.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I also find that drinks/liquids (even those containing protein powder) do nothing for hunger or fullness for me. My own personal preference is to eat and chew my calories, rather than drink them. Sounds like it should be your personal preference too.

Also, I agree with this.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Don't you throw a lot of stuff away when you blend fruit? I'd just eat it. This obsession with smoothies and juicing doesn't make sense to me. Part of the goodness is in the pulp. It fills you up and helps with digestion.

Also, you eat 15000 cals a day? I'd be obese tomorrow if I did that. :D
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The act of chewing and taking time to take in your food helps with satiety. The faster and more mindlessly you eat, the less likely you are to feel like you've eaten and to want to eat again sooner.

They even say that the more time you take with your food entirely, the more full it's likely to leave you. So if you shop for the pineapple (or better yet, grow it), carry it home, set it in your fruit basket for a few days, slice it up, array it on a plate with some complimentary foods and sit down and slowly eat it without reading or driving or watching tv, you will be more full after it than otherwise.
  • cbeirdneau
    Options
    try using greek yogurt!
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    14,000-16,000 calories a day?!
  • kbarry79
    kbarry79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I do a shake I'll add oatmeal (uncooked) to the shake to help fill me up.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. You are lacking protein and that is what is keeping you hungry!! Greek Yogurt nonfat has a TON of protein so I would use that instead of your "low-fat" variety. Also, adding spinach or peanut butter is a great idea for added nutrition and protein. Maybe add in some flax seeds to give you extra fiber and omega 3's too! When I do that in smoothies, it always fills me up and keeps me going!

Or, you can just eat your fruit like others said. Chewing helps in digestion and making you feel fuller longer.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what your smoothie is made of. I have a breakfast smoothie nearly daily and it lasts me easily until the afternoon.

Spinach 250gr
    Left over veggies, or aspargus or broccoli
    Protein powder
    Egg whites
    Some fruits
    Chia seeds
    Flax seeds
    Almond milk
    peanut butter

All in all a lot of protein and healthy fats. It makes about 1.2l of smoothie and I sip three glasses throughout my day.
    Stef.
  • marquel622
    marquel622 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i am bad with numbers - what I meant was 1,400 - 1,800! Lol.