Disneyland Half Marathon Advice

Options
Hello! :smile:

I'm registered to run in the Disneyland Half Marathon in August and I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. This will be my first time running more than a 5k. I've been training since March and am taking it really slow in order to avoid injury. I haven't dropped weight like I would have liked to but my endurance has greatly improved. And since this is a RunDisney event I will be dressing up. I'm torn between Elsa and Maleficient. But that is besides the point of this post lol so questions:

1. Has anyone participated in a RunDisney race? Any advice for a first timer?
2. Have you ever had a running costume? Did you buy or make?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello! :smile:

I'm registered to run in the Disneyland Half Marathon in August and I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. This will be my first time running more than a 5k. I've been training since March and am taking it really slow in order to avoid injury. I haven't dropped weight like I would have liked to but my endurance has greatly improved. And since this is a RunDisney event I will be dressing up. I'm torn between Elsa and Maleficient. But that is besides the point of this post lol so questions:

1. Has anyone participated in a RunDisney race? Any advice for a first timer?
    2. Have you ever had a running costume? Did you buy or make?

Thanks in advance!

Research half marathong training plans. Most start out at running the 5k distance. You mentioned not dropping weighth as much as you thought...well......training for a HM burns so much that you get very hungry and usually end up eating more..I know I always do! I lose more weight training for the 5k's where I do more speed/HIIT runs.

Advice? Have fun. Make sure you start S L O W and dont get caught up in the hoopla. Most people start out too fast and that kills ya down the road. YOu will have to make yourself slow down.

As far as costumes?

I usually try to dress up as runner.
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have done a 5k and a half marathon runDisney race. You will not find a better organized race experience. Get to the race expo early, make sure you grab clothing or whatever you see because it doesn't last long so pick it up even of it's a well I don't know about it. You can grab it and always put it back!
    Prepare yourself for people. There is people everywhere. If you are still running when parks open people will walk out I front of you so just be prepared.
    Have fun if you aren't in it for time stop and take pictures with characters.
    As far as costumes go make sure it's comfortable to run in and keep in mind you are going to have to run in it for 13.1 miles.
    Jeff Galloway's training programs are good and he is the runDisney guy!!
    I have never had a race match up to my runDisney race (I ran in WDW) I will jump at any chance to run one again. They are awesome!!
    Have a great time let us know how it goes!!!
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh and ps I dropped almost 70lbs running it wasn't fast it was slow and steady but I have kept it off for almost 2 years!
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    +1 on the slow start. I took off like a rocket at my first half because I was so caught up in the moment. Man did I regret that around mile 7. Mile 10 had me thinking that I should just find a seat on the curb and wait for the lag wagon to pick me up. Finally made it to the finish line but felt like I had been hit by a bus the next day.
    The next half I ran I did a much better job of pacing myself but still started a little faster than I should have. Made it to the finsih line 7 mins faster than the first and felt fine the next day.

costumes- keep it simple. You dont want to have to stop every mile to adjust your wig.
  • teampugador
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm definitely not in it for time, I'm just aiming to finish so a slow start is happening. I am doing the run with a couple of friends and I'm sure we'll stop for pictures in the parks but after that they'll probably leave me. I think only the first 3-4 miles are actually in the parks.

As for the costume- I don't plan on wearing anything complicated. Most likely a running skirt and a tank top. I'm just trying to decide if I want to take the time to sew a cape and details on the top or if I should buy something. No wigs for me! 13.1 miles with something itchy on my head, no thanks lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anyone who runs a Disney race for a PK is doing it wrong. :laugh: There are so many awesome photo opportunities! The last Disneyland race I was at ended on the road between the parks and the parking garage. You ran the first mile or so in Disneyland and a little in California Adventure. I actually enjoyed the Neverland 5K more. It was entirely within the parks and in the cast areas, even through the underground tunnel between the parks!

Definitely keep the costume simple to maintain while you're running, although you will see some crazy and complicated ones. I have no idea how people can stand to run so far in so much. If you have the means and time definitely go as crazy with the designs and bling as you want. Capes are fun, skirts, too. Make sure your tank top isn't cotton; try to stick with something wicking.
  • ariesflame
    ariesflame Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Congratz! Glad you are excited for the race, its a fun one.

I'm signed up for it too. Did my first half ever at Disneyland in 2012 and I'm glad I chose a Disney race for my first one.

Disney Halfs are great because there isn't so much pressure and they do a great job of keeping you entertained between water stations so it never feels like there is a lull. They have different groups along the way to cheer you on and running through the ballpark was also a great experience.
    There are character stops and such which you'll have to line up for, so your personal best time, is sometimes not the point. Everyone is having fun out there, and some in costumes. Hats off to those who can pull off the whole race in some intricate heavy and hot looking gettups, but its a site to see. (The Princess half at Disney World this year was a site to see, there was so much glitter I was covered in it by the end of the race even when I didn't have a costume)

The one thing to watch out for is the heat, Anaheim in August will heat up fast even though corral time is at 4 something at the *kitten* crack of dawn. Stay hydrated, and be sure to get some liquid in you for every water station.

See you out there, Go get em'.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have done 14 RunDisney races all at WDW. No one puts on a better race than Disney, but they know what a gold mine it is and there are LOTS and LOTS of people. My first Half there in 2006 had about 12,000 finishers and the last one I did this past February had 23,000. The entertainment along the course helps a lot in making the race fly by. Bring a phone or camera and stop to take pictures. Make sure to wear your medal around the park that day b/c what other time will you have to actually wear it?

I have a very thin Snow White costume that I have worn on a couple of runs there, a 5k and 10k. I don't know if I would want it for a Half or not as it gets very sticky when full of sweat. This run being in August, I would definitely avoid anything long for a costume. There are simple ways of making running clothes look like costumes as well...a navy blue wicking shirt with red bows on the sleeves with a yellow glittery skirt over running shorts is definitely a Running Snow White.

Most importantly...HAVE FUN! I know you are paying big bucks for this race so enjoy every minute!!!
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did the Princess 5k this past February at Disney World and it was my first race ever. it took my 45 minutes and that was what I had been averaging while I was in training. I started my training right after Halloween. I was always a walker and would walk 5 miles on my days off and slowly worked up to jogging. I was happy with my pace- I wasn't in the race to be fast. I saw my endurance build with my training. I would try to run a little more each week and just before the race I was up to 8 miles. I just wanted to be sure that I could do the race and finish. I guess that's my advice to you. Continue running the way you are and slowly add more distance. Disney does a great race. I had a great time and i'm going for the 10K next February. I didn't wear a costume, just my princess sash that I secured to my shirt. Make sure you're comfortable in the costume you're gonna wear. Do some test runs with it on and make sure it's comfortable and nothing gets in your way. Have fun & enjoy!
  • teampugador
    Options
    Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

I didn't even think about the fabric for my tank top.... I was fully intending on using one I have and I'm so thankful you guys brought up not using cotton! That could've been bad lol
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    wonderful! I want to do the Disney half marathon next year. I am currently working to get my pace up.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ran a Disney run last Novemeber and it was GREAT!! Have fun and enjoy yourself.

If you decide to dress up, you should practice your runs in those clothes. Some of the costumes I saw were very creative but if you're not used to running with the material or extra items it may irritate your skin. I have sensitive skin so this is something that affects me that not everyone thinks of.

Good Luck and Have FUN
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I will be at the Disneyland Half-Marathon weekend but I am only doing the 10k this year. This past year I did the inaugural 10k at the Disney World Marathon Weekend and it was so much fun! I will be doing the Dopey Challenge this next year.

I will say this about the Disney races, they are by far the most inspirational races I have ever done. Yes, they are expensive but the experience and not to mention the awesome medals you receive are so worth it.

Like another person said, be ready for people. The races start early and if you aren't one of the faster runners you will be waiting for a little while for your group to start. The expo is fantastic and I found myself wandering around there all day.

Good luck!