Home Gym

Options
rhina23
rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
Hello guys. I want to ask what you can say about having a homegym?
I don't want to be driving to go to the gym and so i want to have one at home.

Please share your views.

Thanks.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Building a proper lifting gym at home will run about USD 2000 (new) for the following:

* Power cage
    * Adjustable bench
    * 300 lbs weights with bar and collars
    * Floor padding
    * Plate tree

That's a very basic setup and should actually take you a decent distance into weight lifting.

Personally, I love the home gym. I have no excuse to not work out if "I don't feel like it" because it's literally steps away. I can grunt, drop weights, lift naked, crank on music, and do my laundry while I work out.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm finally getting serious (and safe--hence the power rack). This July i am ordering the following (right before I begin my Bulk):

--power cage/rack-- delivered (with some fractional weight plates): ~ 400 bucks
    - olympic weight set (with bar): ~ 329 bucks
    - weight tree: ~ 100 bucks
    - flooring: ~ 200 bucks (looking into different options here)

All totalled about one thousand

Of course you could do bodyweight exercises (and get a pullup bar) for under 50.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Of course you could do bodyweight exercises (and get a pullup bar) for under 50.

You can do quite a bit with bodyweight exercises. The trend on MFP right now is all about heavy lifting and I'm all for it but for thousands of years before the power cage there were push ups, pull ups, sit ups, dips and squats.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much space you have to dedicate to your home gym. Do you have a separate room or will you need to be able to put your equipment away in a closet when you aren't using it?

The above suggestions are great if you have a dedicated gym room. If not, a stability ball, jump rope, heavy kettle bell, a few pairs of free weights, and heavy resistance bands are a good start. If you can buy or put together a small plyo box to use as a step (and obv as something to jump on) that would be awesome. It could also serve as storage for your equipment if you build yourself a box--just flip over and toss your stuff in when you are done working out.

If you have a road bike, you can invest in a trainer which essentially turns it into a spin bike for a cardio workout.
  • rhina23
    Options
    I actually would like to start with the Gold's Gym XR45 then eventually add some stuff.
    I am dedicating my office/ craft room for a gym. But my husband says we will convert the garage eventually to be our home gym with heat/AC.

Thanks guys.i appreciate your replies.
  • rhina23
    Options
    Maybe a power cage will be purchased together with the XR45
  • rhina23
    Options
    I'm finally getting serious (and safe--hence the power rack). This July i am ordering the following (right before I begin my Bulk):

--power cage/rack-- delivered (with some fractional weight plates): ~ 400 bucks
    - olympic weight set (with bar): ~ 329 bucks
    - weight tree: ~ 100 bucks
    - flooring: ~ 200 bucks (looking into different options here)

All totalled about one thousand

This is not very expensive.
  • rhina23
    Options
    Building a proper lifting gym at home will run about USD 2000 (new) for the following:

* Power cage
    * Adjustable bench
    * Floor padding
    * Plate tree

That's a very basic setup and should actually take you a decent distance into weight lifting.

Personally, I love the home gym. I have no excuse to not work out if "I don't feel like it" because it's literally steps away. I can grunt, drop weights, lift naked, crank on music, and do my laundry while I work out.

This is what i am actually thinking. I shouldnt have any more excuses not to work out.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am going to do the same this summer in the garage with maybe as ez curl bar and some dumbbell bars as well.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    In the last week I have set up my garage as a home gym. I've had a few pieces of equipment for years now, and been going to gyms on and off for 25 years, but when I go through periods of working a lot, it's hard to find time to get there, so after a long time thinking about it I figured that this was a good solution. I'm also a single mum and don't go out a lot at night so it suits me to be close by if needed. I tend to get up early and do my workouts before work, makes for a great start to the day!

I started out buying a new semi-commercial Spin Bike. I thought that I would substitute visits to the gym for 20 minutes on the bike. Then realised I should do my weights at home as well, seeing I already had some dumbbells and resistance bands.

I purchased a few additional items and now I have various weight plates amounting to about 80kg, these fit onto 2 sets of dumbbells and a (new) barbell; 16kg kettlebell; BOSU; Resistance Bands; Aerobic step; Skipping rope; Floor mats. Also have a selection of DVDs on Pilates, Yoga, Pump, 30 day Shred and P90X (I have a TV/DVD in the garage as well).

My home gym is looking great and I am really looking forward to making it a regular part of my routine. The convenience is a real bonus!! There's no waste of time travelling to the gym or if the weather is bad and I don't want to go out.

For a long time I only had the resistance bands and 2 x 5kg dumbbells (which I would also stack onto one and make 10kg) and I would still get a really good workout with just those and body weight exercises. It depends how much room you have and what your goals are as to what you might want or need to get.
  • rhina23
    Options
    In the last week I have set up my garage as a home gym. I've had a few pieces of equipment for years now, and been going to gyms on and off for 25 years, but when I go through periods of working a lot, it's hard to find time to get there, so after a long time thinking about it I figured that this was a good solution. I'm also a single mum and don't go out a lot at night so it suits me to be close by if needed. I tend to get up early and do my workouts before work, makes for a great start to the day!

I started out buying a new semi-commercial Spin Bike. I thought that I would substitute visits to the gym for 20 minutes on the bike. Then realised I should do my weights at home as well, seeing I already had some dumbbells and resistance bands.

I purchased a few additional items and now I have various weight plates amounting to about 80kg, these fit onto 2 sets of dumbbells and a (new) barbell; 16kg kettlebell; BOSU; Resistance Bands; Aerobic step; Skipping rope; Floor mats. Also have a selection of DVDs on Pilates, Yoga, Pump, 30 day Shred and P90X (I have a TV/DVD in the garage as well).

My home gym is looking great and I am really looking forward to making it a regular part of my routine. The convenience is a real bonus!! There's no waste of time travelling to the gym or if the weather is bad and I don't want to go out.

For a long time I only had the resistance bands and 2 x 5kg dumbbells (which I would also stack onto one and make 10kg) and I would still get a really good workout with just those and body weight exercises. It depends how much room you have and what your goals are as to what you might want or need to get.

Wow! You should be so ready! Almost everything is already there.
    I am thinking of setting up my garage as home gym too. Only thing i am worried about is the climate.
    When it gets too hot or too cold.
    Though i can put an electric fan or heater which i already have, but im worried i might get lazy going out there.

I will purchase a golds gym XRS and slowly , purchase some more stuff.

Having a hime gym will also make my husband work out. He doesnt have any more excuses.
    Between the two of us, however, he is more fit. With really good metabolism .

Thanks.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    When I worked on my unfinished basement in 2007, I made sure to make a room specifically for an exercise room. I used sliding mirror doors for the closet, carpet tile for the floor, bought Bowflex dial-weights, a set of bands, bench, and a pullup bar on the unfinished side just on the other side of the door.

Love my home gym and don't miss driving to the local fitness club at all.
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think it's worth it. Gym equipment is expensive and takes up a lot of space. You can get an effective workout by just buying some dumbbells and a yoga mat and doing bodyweight training/cardio.

For cardio you can do the following:
    Jog in place
    Butt kicks
    jump rope (you don't even need a jump rope you can use an imaginary one)
    jumping jacks
    Punches/Kicks

For weight training and toning:
    Squats with dumbbells
    Lunges with dumbbells (bicep curls and such)
    Chest flys with small dumbbells
    various types of crunches
    pushups

You can achieve an amazing body just using bodyweight training alone. Add in a few dumbbells and maybe a kettlebell and you're good to go :-)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym:

squat rack (hubby built this for me, for around $100)
    bench press
    adjustable bench
    barbell and weight plates
    mat
    exercise ball
    dumbbells
    pull-up bar

I have it in my garage.

Payed around: $300 to 400 for all of it.
  • docc30
    docc30 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been setting up equipment in my basement. So far I've got the following:

Power Rack - $100 off Craigslist
    Flat/Incline/Decline Bench - $90 from Play it again Sports
    300 lb Olympic weight set - $209 from ****'s Sporting Goods.
    Plate Tree - $10 on clearance at Sears
    Floor mats - Don't remember, they've been there
    Sole Treadmill - $1000

I'll be under $500 for strength training and then the price of the treadmill.
  • rhina23
    Options
    I've been setting up equipment in my basement. So far I've got the following:

Power Rack - $100 off Craigslist
    Flat/Incline/Decline Bench - $90 from Play it again Sports
    300 lb Olympic weight set - $209 from ****'s Sporting Goods.
    Plate Tree - $10 on clearance at Sears
    Floor mats - Don't remember, they've been there
    Sole Treadmill - $1000

I'll be under $500 for strength training and then the price of the treadmill.

Craigslist should be the best place to get the stuff i need!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I've been building a home gym now for about 8 years and have a pretty sweet setup. Nothing beats just walking down the stairs to the home gym and not having to drive for 20 minutes, deal with equipment not being available, crappy music, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I personally find that I do better going to an actual gym. As soon as I set foot in my house, there's all kinds of other distractions like a 2 y.o. and a 4 y.o. that need my attention...a wife that needs my attention...a dog that needs my attention...something that needs fixing...grass that needs mowing...weeds that need pulling...dinner that needs cooking, etc, etc, etc.

I just do much better when I get away from all of those other things and have my own space and place to be for an hour or so. The difficulty I think is finding a gym that is the right fit...I'm lucky in that I've found a nice local community gym that is very well equipped and not very busy. It is a 24/7 facility and only about a 5 minute drive from my front door and the people there are great and it has a very community type of feel to it rather than a big box commercial type gym.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

* Power cage
    * Adjustable bench
    * Floor padding
    * Plate tree

you might actually be able to do the above for a little less then 2000 if your ok with ****s equipment, and its not bad stuff.

if you do anything online you'll pay high shipping prices because everything weights so much, but if you by a rack from Roguefitness.com everything ships free? i plan on doing that and getting the above, minus flooring that i already have, plus a decent dumbell assortment and it should come in around 2000
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    much perfer to workout at home. i just get a better workout

I know its incredibly creepy, but really the only thing drawing me to the ****ty gyms around here is the fact that there are girls there lol