Recipe Sharing!

Options
pishposh12
pishposh12 Posts: 28 Member
Hello!

So I know many people on here are on a variety of diets, but I thought it might be a good idea to have a place where we can swap healthy diets for dinners. I know I have tried a boat load of low-calorie or vegetarian or low-carb, etc., and some have worked (and tasted) a lot better than others. I'd like to share some of the recipes I've tried and I'd like to know what's worked for others.

I tend to use Eating Well, but sometimes the recipes get repetitive or they aren't as good as I thought they'd be.

Tell me about a recipe you've used!

(By the way, I am always on the search for perfect baked sweet potato fries.)

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hi, I love slenderkitchen.com. Tons of recipes and also like that it has the nutrition also. Hope this helps

Have had these and are WONDERFUL
    BAKED SWEET POTATO FRIES

Ingredients
    Olive Oil, for tossing
    5 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch long slices, then 1/4-wide inch strips, using a crinkle cut knife
    1 tablespoon House Seasoning (recipe follows)
    1/2 teaspoon paprika

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Line a sheet tray with parchment. In a large bowl toss sweet potatoes with just enough oil to coat. Sprinkle with House Seasoning and paprika. Spread sweet potatoes in single layer on prepared baking sheet, being sure not to overcrowd. Bake until sweet potatoes are tender and golden brown, turning occasionally, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Per Serving (based on 3 servings): Calories: 273; Fat: 9.5g (Saturated Fat: 1g); Protein: 4g; Carbohydrates: 44g; Sugar: 9g; Fiber 7g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 1,670mg

For the House Seasoning:
    Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

CATEGORIES: Sweet Potato Side Dish American View All

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-sweet-potato-fries-recipe.html?oc=linkback
  • pishposh12
    Options
    yum! do you know if those end up pretty crispy? i feel like that is the most difficult part of mastering sweet potato fries.
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey Pishposh, nice new photo. Anyway here is a recipe for Brussel Sprout Fried Rice. (345 cal per serving) (4 servings)

2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, divided
    12 oz Brussel sprouts, trimmed and quartered
    1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into thin half-moons
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1/4 cup fresh basil
    1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
    1 cup finely chopped scallions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
    4 cups cooked and cooled jasmine rice [see note]
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon agave

Sriracha to serve

Preheat a large heavy bottomed pan (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Saute the Brussel sprouts and carrots in 1 tablespoon of oil for about 5 minutes, until Brussel sprouts are lightly charred. Toss in the pine nuts and cook for two minutes, tossing often, until toasted. Transfer everything to a large plate and set aside.

Lower heat a bit to medium. In 1 teaspoon oil, saute the basil, cilantro, scallions, garlic and ginger for about a minute. The herbs will wilt and everything will smell aromatic and wonderful. Now add the rice, red pepper flakes and the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and cook for about 5 minutes, tossing often.

Add the Brussels mixture back to the pan, and drizzle in the soy sauce, lime juice and agave. Cook for 3 more minutes or so, until rice is lightly browned. Taste for salt. Serve with plenty of Sriracha!

This recipe is from PPK (Post Punk Kitchen)
    I love their site, and I think I own all the cookbooks lol (you really can't tell by the way I eat now though haha)

http://www.theppk.com/2014/02/brussel-sprout-fried-rice/
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    yum! do you know if those end up pretty crispy? i feel like that is the most difficult part of mastering sweet potato fries.
    Yes , make sure your oven is the correct temperature..
  • pishposh12
    Options
    Thanks, Steve! That sounds amazing. I'm going to have to put that on the menu in the next week or two. And I'm loving getting all these new sites.

I made almond-crusted chicken tenders last week and they tasted (and looked) like the real thing, but only 174 cals per serving. (this obviously isn't vegan...)

Canola oil cooking spray
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 large egg whites
    1 pound chicken tenders

- Preheat oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.
    - Place almonds, flour, paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a food processor; process until the almonds are finely chopped and the paprika is mixed throughout, about 1 minute. With the motor running, drizzle in oil; process until combined.
    Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish.
    - Whisk egg whites in a second shallow dish. Add chicken tenders and turn to coat. Transfer each tender to the almond mixture; turn to coat evenly. (Discard any remaining egg white and almond mixture.) Place the tenders on the prepared rack and coat with cooking spray; turn and spray the other side.
    - Bake the chicken fingers until golden brown, crispy and no longer pink in the center, 20 to 25 minutes.

Per serving: 174 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 76 mg potassium.

It was super easy to make, which made it nice during my work week.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/almond_crusted_chicken_fingers.html
  • Compton1950
    Compton1950 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump