Deadlifted for the first time today....

Options
After watching form videos on Youtube for about 6 months and worrying about doing it wrong infront of a ton of people, I bit the bullet.

It. Felt. AWESOME.

I just did the bar, but it felt so good to have the first-time jitters done with.

Also, an hour later, I signed a lease on an apartment I wanted wicked bad. Unrelated, but it was a pretty kick-*kitten* day :bigsmile:

Replies

• rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Way to goooo! You might get some attention, but just learn to brush it off. There aren't many girls who "lift" at my gym, I can think of maybe 3 that I've seen. A fellow girl came up to me and gave me some pointers in a nice. helpful fashion. One guy complimented me on my form. And then I've also had a handful of guys give their bro advice. Including, advice to use the smith machines for squats and not using such heavy weights lest I get HYOOGE Nah.

Keep it up!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    welcome to the addiction. :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Did you have some kind of block to raise the bar to the right height?
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on power lifting. I just wandered into a gym I wanted to try and its all power lifters. Squat, Deadlift and Bench. Technique is sooooooooooo important to prevent injuries and to strengthen the muscles correctly. I would encourage you to find a gym where people lift weights and work with a trainer to learn the correct technique.

After many months of lifting, my personal records are 115# Bench, 240# Deadlift and #165 Squat. My core strength is amazing as well. Not bad for an old lady! Lifting is a blast but you have to know how to do it right to avoid injury and to properly train the muscles so that you can continue to increase your strength.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    welcome to the addiction. :)

Yep...keep us posted on how you're doing
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    After watching form videos on Youtube for about 6 months and worrying about doing it wrong infront of a ton of people, I bit the bullet.

It. Felt. AWESOME.

I just did the bar, but it felt so good to have the first-time jitters done with.

Also, an hour later, I signed a lease on an apartment I wanted wicked bad. Unrelated, but it was a pretty kick-*kitten* day :bigsmile:

Great feeling isn't it. :smile:

You will be surprised how fast you progress. I started just with the bar too, but this week (about 3 months later) Deadlifted 70kg. Still very light for most, but hey ... Who cares! :smile:

Keep it up, watch your form, and enjoy the steady increase in weight. It's a blast!
  • Bustergirl14
    Options
    Oh, and the myth that llifting will make women big is just that, a myth. Not unless you are using steroids, or other performance enhancing drugs, will you get huge muscles from lifting. You might weigh a little more than someone your same height but you won't be bigger. Case in point - my trainer. 30 yo, 5'3" weighs 145, size 4, holds state records in two different associations. Yesterday at the gym I watched her pull #375 deadlift x 3, right after pulling #350 deadlift X 3.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bustergirl, which powerlifting gym did/do you train at? There's only a handful of them.

I trained at Detroit Barbell for awhile, great bunch of guys, and I learned so much.

The deadlift is one of the best tests of true body strength. There isn't much 'equipment' that can assist that lift, not like a squat or bench press.

To the original poster, PUT SOME WEIGHT ON THE BAR! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Practice deadlifting boxes when you move in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

To the original poster, PUT SOME WEIGHT ON THE BAR! :)

Next time, I promise!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Looks like we converted another one guys!! Good job :drinker:
  • Bustergirl14
    Options
    Firehawk - I lift at Austin Simply Fit. Best in Austin, hands down.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Did you have some kind of block to raise the bar to the right height?

Was wondering the same thing...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i did my first set of deadlifts at last week's strength session. AMAZING! i did 3 sets of 3 with 115lbs. add some weight you can do it! if i can anyone can - my upper body strength is terrible.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

It. Felt. AWESOME.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Such an awesome day for you!