so glad I'm not her!

Options
my roommate is on a low carb diet. shes eating 6 small meals a day, but can only have 40 carbs a day. basically all she eats is eggs and salad! yesterday she was complaining about being forgetful and tired. i was like, umm because your not eating anything of substane and your sugar is probably low because you are not getting any!

why do people do that to themselves?

Replies

• NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    They're are looking for a quick fix not a lifestyle change. Been there, done that, didn't work, now I'm here. :smile:
  • shirley_1984
    Options
    I wonder that same thing ALL the time... I'm trying to tell myself I don't have to be hungry to be thin... and guess what... I'm NOT!!!!!
    I am trying a structured meal plan and it keeps me satisfied all day and even when I wake up I am not starving for food.... It's great and I recommend it to EVERYONE!!!
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I can't even imagine :noway: ! I'm on a carb focused diet too, but I can have fourty-five each meal and fifteen for two snacks a day and its plenty hard! I hope your roommate is doing something that was suggested by a doctor, because that sounds SO unhealthy to be something to just decide to do on your own.
  • French140
    French140 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've done it before and lost 60lbs! It definitely works! But it's not a lifestyle change. Normal people don't eat like that daily. I'll leave that one to the superstars who want to drop a few before the Oscars or something. LOL. It's not for people looking for long term weight loss. You gain it all right back. No more diets for me!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i see it here, (hello eating 1000 cals and not eathing exercices cals.) and from peoples around me. They starve, then binge, then quit. we can try to educate them but really you can only live your own life. Hopefully as you get heathier and stronger, they will come to ask for your help.
  • akalei
    akalei Posts: 34
    Options
    I've BTDT too. All it did was make me lose 15 pounds in less than 2 weeks then stay the same and stay the same and stay the same. Then one weekend I ate pasta and bread and gained all my weight back +10 pounds.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've done it before and lost 60lbs! It definitely works! But it's not a lifestyle change. Normal people don't eat like that daily. I'll leave that one to the superstars who want to drop a few before the Oscars or something. LOL. It's not for people looking for long term weight loss. You gain it all right back. No more diets for me!

That is actually a great use for the diet (because it's clearly a DIET) -- to lose a bunch of weight in a short period of time for a special occasion. I lost a bunch of weight on it years and years ago and felt pretty good, but I was hungry all the time on it so I had to ignore constant hunger signals. I think something in my brain only gets satisfied with carbs.

If I'm a few pounds away from my goal at the beginning of June, I'd go on low carb again in a second just to get through the occasion.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I told her I bought some bananas, ya know, really healthy. and told her she could have some and she says, no I cant too many carbs. like she wont even eat stuff that is good for you! surely she is going to get a vitamin deficiency or something! I just hope I'm not the one that has to take her to the ER when she faints. ugh.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    That type of diet (really low carb cutting) works gets quick results but usually doesn't work in the long run...

I prefer to:
    Consume good carbs when I need them so that they are not stored as fat(Before/After workout)
    Take fish oil to increase my sensitivity to carbs
    Make sure that I'm getting good complex carbs that will leave me feeling full and fueled!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    They're are looking for a quick fix not a lifestyle change. Been there, done that, didn't work, now I'm here. :smile:
    beat me to saying it. it has fast results..so therefore has appeal
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I just agree with you when you say I'm so glad I'm not her!
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Oh no! I can understand if she is trying to stay away from processed foods and white flour by eating less carbs, but to say no to a banana? Fruits and veggies are FILLED with fiber and actually help you feel fuller longer. That's sad!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Oh no! I can understand if she is trying to stay away from processed foods and white flour by eating less carbs, but to say no to a banana? Fruits and veggies are FILLED with fiber and actually help you feel fuller longer. That's sad!

thats kindof what I was thinking!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    thats ok though, She can hate me tomorrow when she's watching me eat blueberry muffins for breakfast, and there WILL be leftovers. Gives me a little satisfaction knowing she will spend her day thinking about those muffines. lol, oooh that's mean.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    LOL at the blueberry muffin daydreaming. bwahahaha
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Above, people were saying this is a great way to loose weight for special occassions. Some people might be able to pull it off, but I definately wouldn't be able to live on salad and eggs for even a day. I have to have some chicken and some fruits and stuff or I will probably get cranky quickly. And not to mention, this :yawn: , oh and here's another smiley for this example :explode: .
  • sarahmckinley
    sarahmckinley Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    so my boyfriend and I did this and had one cheat day per week with 60ish grams of carbs per day...i made it through the first week and i told him that if i didn't switch to something else that i was going to eat his face off. i'm pretty sure that he can run on minimal carb-age everyday without an issue, but i just can't handle it...makes me kind of moody and therefore...he's not so much a fan of me on the low carb diet, either! :)
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    Carbohydrates are actually necessary for the brain to function.... you say that she's getting forgetful etc - she needs more carbs just to function. Seems a really restrictive eating regime, and may lose her some weight, but its also showing how important carbs are for brain activity....

like you said - glad I'm not her!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Let me say this...I did it because I had PCOS and its supposed to be great for someone who is insulin resistant. When I was younger, it worked! I could stay lower on carbs and loose weight instantly. As I got older, gained a ton of weight and then wanted to loose it, I decided to try it again. But the big difference was I had a hysterectomy. I lost NOTHING. My body completely rebelled. And I felt miserable. Cravings, headaches, exhausted.

Eventually I gave up on the idea last summer and just ate carbs and counted calories. WELL! Fancy that, I lost weight! For me, my body changed. I could no longer follow the PCOS/Atkins diet and have success. I think all of our bodies have different needs. I know that if someone says to me "Tara, I have severe PCOS. I'm 80 pounds overweight and I'm not loosing weight counting calories." The first thing I would recommend is lowering your carbs. Maybe not to 40. But lowering them and cutting out sugar. But its a specific instance.