late night snacking

Options
i need tips on how to avoid eating at night. im a student and i tend to stay up late. i usually end up eating another meal at night because i am so hungry! i know this is such a bad habit. any tips on how to avoid it? I eat dinner at 8ish then eat again at midnight or 1am and go to bed at 2ish. HELPPPPPP

thanks!

Replies

• LorrieM40
    Options
    Try chewing sugar-free gum
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    drink a full glass of water before you allow yourself to eat anything. I've been doing this and found I am eating less altogether, and I read that alot of times we mistake thirst for hunger.
  • Beau815
    Options
    I used to do that in college too. and i still stay up til 12 or 1 and used to want to feel full before i went to bed which is TERRIBLE as it turns mostly into fat when ur metabolism is SO slow at night. One time i didnt eat after 8 and lost a ton of weight, ive never been like over 15-20 lbs overweight but that helped... now i have a balance, ill eat like 730 pretty big dinner and make coffee (maybe a bad idea for some) at like 9 with some hazelnut creamer or some sweet flavor so its like a snack. If you get hungry later you could pound some water or even a protein shake would make u feel full, better than chips and cookies.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A couple of questions:
    1) Do you study/get your classwork done between 8P and 1AM or are you just up and doing other things (including eating)?
    2) What time do you get up?
    I'm asking because I'm wondering if you are up to get work done, can you just adjust your eating times so that you don't start eating until later in the day?
    Also, one thing I've found that (sometimes) helps is to have a big cup of tea (no sugar, milk, etc) and that seems to fill me up and satisfy me.
    That being said, late-night eating is something I've always been plagued with...I'm interested in reading the other posts.
    Catniss
  • Jones115
    Jones115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to have your same dilemna. It helps me to drink plenty of water. If you have a late night suger craving try drinking your favorite tea with a bit of honey to make it sweet. Also, if you must eat late at night try eating things that are not heavy in carbs. For example, eat some low calorie fruits or vegetables. Also, if you go to bed at 1 or 2 then you should make your late night delight at about 10:30. This will give your body time to digest the food you just ate. It is important to stop eating 2 to 3 hours before bed. You really do lose the pounds in your sleep so long as you don't eat right before you nap!

Another trick is to start eating smaller meals 2 to 3 hours apart so you won't be that hungry before bed. You should let yourself be just slightly hungry before you go to bed so you can burn the calories. Another trick for me is to eat Orville popcorn. Not the regular kind, but the low fat popcorn which is only about 15 cals per cup. I eat the kettle corn because it satisfies the sweet and salty taste buds that keep you snacking. But, remember to stop the eating 2 hours before bed at least!
  • toniace1
    Options
    i work the 2nd shift at a hospital, so i'm home at midnite and its "let the cravings begin!!". I struggle with this, too. Its hard to eat veggies or fruits because they are so hard to digest and make you sick in your sleep..plus you want to watch the salt intake so you dont wake up all puffed up...and i crave salt, so i'm really in trouble..! BUT, some of the things that I have tried are: gum, oatmeal or cream of wheat (one serving made with water), rice cakes (the big dry ones, not the tasty small ones), a stick of mozzarella string cheese, instant tomato soup (cup of soup), a small bowl of healthy cereal (no milk in it)... I'm interested to see any other ideas...this is my biggest problem!!!
  • corina19
    Options
    ive been eating baken-ets fried porkskins 0 carbs ... i guess its just habit the need to chew something
  • pratrat150
    Options
    A couple of questions:
    1) Do you study/get your classwork done between 8P and 1AM or are you just up and doing other things (including eating)?
    2) What time do you get up?
    I'm asking because I'm wondering if you are up to get work done, can you just adjust your eating times so that you don't start eating until later in the day?
    Also, one thing I've found that (sometimes) helps is to have a big cup of tea (no sugar, milk, etc) and that seems to fill me up and satisfy me.
    That being said, late-night eating is something I've always been plagued with...I'm interested in reading the other posts.
    Catniss

Sometimes its homework but most of the time its just watching tv, cleaning, catching up on email, etc.

I usually don't get up until 10am and my classes are all in the afternoon.

Maybe, I should "reserve" a few calories for my late night snack?
  • pratrat150
    Options
    OOH...lots of great tips! esp like the water, tea and the popcorn ideas

my friend was saying to try to get those 100 calorie snack packs. that way you limit yourself to 100 calories. a possibility...
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I myself have gotten into that habit and now what I'm doing is making sure that I have enough calories at the ned of my day so that I can enjoy 1 or 2 peices of 70% Dark Chocolate and 1 bag of the 100 calories popcorn. Good luck to you at breaking it...fingers crossed that I can too! I'm just so hungry at night!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think "reserving" some calories specifically for the late night snack is a great idea--that way you don't feel like you've "blown it" and use that as an excuse to keep eating all the while promising yourself that you'll be "good" the next day--or at least that's what I've done in the past.
    Right now, I've been saving the calories to have a Nature Valley Dark Chocolate & Oat granola bar with a huge cup of vanilla tea. It satisfies my sweet tooth and it fills me up.
    Good luck!!
  • elizabeth9474
    Options
    drink a full glass of water before you allow yourself to eat anything. I've been doing this and found I am eating less altogether, and I read that alot of times we mistake thirst for hunger.

This sounds like a GREAT idea, i will try that tonight!