Does anyone else notice weight loss in batches?

Options
So I weight myself every morning because I'm a little neurotic, and I've noticed that I seem to lose weight in clumps. When I was 165, the scale would show my weight as 165 consistently, then one day it just started showing 163. The next week it want from 163 to 161.

I know there are a lot of fluctuation in weighing yourself such as water weight, but has anyone else noticed a weight loss pattern like this?

Replies

• empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I bounce up and down. As long as the trend is down I'm good with it.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, too. I had an experience like this on Tuesday, actually. I was at 123.5lbs one day, then 122.5 the next. I'm back to 123.5 today, but I ate a bit more yesterday - along with a lot of fruit, so I'm likely retaining a good bit of water.

There's an interesting article by Lyle McDonald about "stalls" and "whooshes" which might interest you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • skinnysmartbitch
    skinnysmartbitch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates so much throughout the week - I just weigh myself once a week and call it good.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yup I seem to plateau for a while and then all of a sudden 2-3 pounds. I prefer it that way, whooshes seem to make me less neurotic about it than aiming for .5-1 lb a week and freaking out if it doesn't happen
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I lose that way, too. I don't know how normal it is. I can change nothing in my diet and plateau for a month and then boom drop 5 lbs. in 3 days. That Lyle article was always one of my favorites for that reason. I'm a whoosher. And I do get squishy fat before losses, too.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's crazy. I was getting frustrated because my weight hadn't changed in over two weeks except to go UP. But Monday I was down 3 (back to where I was when the weight gain started), yesterday another pound, and yet another pound today. It's not like I drastically lowered my calories or anything but BAM, it just hit. Wish i could keep losing a pound a day! :laugh:
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me Usually all week i'm jumping up and down on the scale around the same weight. then towards the end of the week i'll drop down 1-2 lbs.
  • homemadehippy
    homemadehippy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same. Steady, steady, steady, up 2 pounds, steady, steady, steady, down 4 pounds, steady, steady, steady, up 2 pounds, steady, steady, steady, down 4 pounds. When the little gains (or even the steadiness for a week or two) get to me, I look at my weight loss report and just laugh at the humps in the graph. It helps reassure me that another loss is around the corner.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yes that is normal and actually what should be expected. Its just an erroneous assumption people make that if they are going to lose 1.4 pounds a week that they will lose 0.2 pounds every day and 1.4 pounds every week. Doesn't work that way due to water retention.

That said those who like to say "weight loss is not linear" I disagree with as well. It is very much linear if you are consistent with your diet and make the corrections as your TDEE changes, it is just linear over time as an overall trend.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always come off in batches, but it's always a nice surprise when it happens. Especially when not much happens for a week or two.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it is....it's not linear and your body weight isn't a static thing. This is why it's far more important to look at trends rather than the particular number or any one give weigh in to the next.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm more interested in the trend. Peaks and valleys are of no concern.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oh hell yes... I'm all over the board.
    I'll eat my calories and work out hard every day and nothing for 6-7 days them all of a sudden I'm down 3lbs in 2 days.
    It's definitely not linear!
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    Mine does the same. Steady, steady, steady, up 2 pounds, steady, steady, steady, down 4 pounds, steady, steady, steady, up 2 pounds, steady, steady, steady, down 4 pounds. When the little gains (or even the steadiness for a week or two) get to me, I look at my weight loss report and just laugh at the humps in the graph. It helps reassure me that another loss is around the corner.

This is me, except it's 0.5 and 1. Every time I drop a pound, I'll stay there a few days, then up a half pound for almost a week, then drop a pound. It's in the middle of that up week that frustration rises... but inevitably... it drops again.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Mine varies over the month, so I weigh daily, track it on a spreadsheet so I can calculate trends, and also enter it into a neat little App called Happy Scales just for gadget coolness.

Having said that, my trend over the last 5 months of weight loss has been very consistent, apart from when I injured my knee and couldn't do anything other than sit on the couch and then when I got moving again.
  • TheSageMage
    Options
    I'm not worried over fluctuation, I was merely remarking and wondering if anyone else had this kind of experience. I'm consistently down, I just noticed that it seems the be in 2lb intervals, rather than .5lb here, 1lb there. I know weight fluctuates daily due to many factors.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I can go up and down daily but overall lose every week . It depends so much on a lot of different things that I wouldnt worry as long as you are losing monthly