Plantar Fasciitis

Options
I'm 28 and have this in both feet. Today I'm particularly struggling with it because my yoga class is starting tonight and it's not looking like I will be able to go. My reason for writing this is to see how others who have this problem cope. I certainly don't want to stop exercising but it's been suggested that I keep off my feet. Currenlty I've got intense pain on the side of my foot which I suspect is due to me over-compensating while I walk. The pain is so bad today that I really will be keeping off my foot. I've got it elevated and I'm taking ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling.

So, with all of that being said, for any of you with this condition can you tell me what you do to help heal and/or relieve the pain?

Replies

• chrishoray
    Options
    Hello I have this same condition and I am getting cortizone injections and I ice my foot 5 times a day for 15 minutes each time. it is painful but hopefully this will help Good Luck Chris:happy:
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    I believe I have this, but I haven't been diagnosed by a dr. I just started doing some calf stretches a few weeks ago. It helps a little.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Have you tried using a tennis ball? You roll your foot over a tennis ball for several minutes 3-4 times a day. It helps massage and relax the plantar fascia, as well as give a little bit of stretch. Stretching your calves will help as well. I also suggest trying a night splint. Especially if the pain is worse in the morning when you first get out of bed. Careful about your overcompensation on the outside of your feet. This could lead to a stress fracture of the metatarsal if you continue to do this. Ice and ibuprofen will help as well, but I would try the tennis ball trick and the stretching. Good luck!
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I dealt with this a few years ago. I had a few cortizone shots which helped, but only a short term basis, I also used ice and aleve worked for me. My doctor had suggested orthodics, however they were expensive and my insurance wouldn't cover it. I then found an "as seen on TV" product called WalkFit, which I started using and I wear them in my everyday shoes and my sneakers and they have been the best thing for me. I don't get pain anymore. I also know dr. scholls came out with something similar, but I haven't tried them yet.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is helpful for you at this stage, but after you heal up a bit more you might try these ideas. i have struggled with this off and on, and I have found that stretching my calves daily helps, along with standing on softballs, Try a couple of super-soft ones first, but make certain that they have a solid core. I would stand on them for 1 min x 3 each night, or whatever felt right, each night before bed. Always do it on warmed up feet. I've also switched to running in Vibrams (barefoot running shoe) which alters my gait and strengthens and stretches my feet. I have had soooo much success with these shoes, and my running greatly improved as well. I use them on trails and on asphalt, but you must work yourself into them gently and allow for a transition. Good luck!
  • everydayepiphanies
    everydayepiphanies Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    An anti-inflammatory, like Aleve, helps a great deal.

The best thing I ever did to be able to exercise and get past the pain was to buy some MBT shoes. They allow me to walk without pressure on the most painful areas of my foot. I wear them anywhere I know I will be on my feet, such as grocery shopping. Although there are many different styles, only a few styles are designed to specifically help plantar fasciitis. I bought mine at The Walking Company and they made sure I got the right shoe for my issue.
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My husband had this problem. He went to a foot doctor who gave him a calf stretching boot that he sleeps in every night. He also had a procedure done where they took some of his blood out in a vial, then put the blood in a machine which removed the platelets and some other things, then injected the blood into the area of his heel where it was hurting. It took all of fifteen minutes and was done in a surgical center. He has been almost pain free since then. A few years ago he had a electric stim treatment in his other foot which helped. There are some options to help you. Talk to a foot doctor to see what they are for you. Good luck. I saw how much pain my husband was in so I can really sympathize about what you're going through.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for years and
    started taking Omaga 3 supplements
    which helps with inflammation and I
    haven't had a problem since.
    It might work for u.
    Good Luck
  • k8tmama
    k8tmama Posts: 58
    Options
    I've had this off and on for a couple of years. Haven't had any cortisone shots. The best things are the tennis ball thing, and I went and got some New Balance shoes and bought inserts for them at the athletic store that REALLY work. I can't be off my feet--I have a two and three year old. But here is what helps: never go barefoot or in socks, wear supportive shoes (not flats unless you have a really good insert, which I did, and it helped some), roll your foot on a tennis ball, do calf stretches. And, of course, losing weight is going to help, too! I hope you feel better; believe me, I really know how painful it is. Oh, and before you get up after sitting, always do some stretches (point your toes, relax, etc) to loosen that tendon before you step.

Take care!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My daughter gets this occasionally ouch! She is only 16 and very thin (117 at 5;6" so not weight related) the supportive shoes and/or inserts are really helpful to her and we bought a small ball with bumps on it for her to roll her feet on (tennis ball would probably work too as others said). The other thing we have heard is to freeze water in a 2 liter bottle and roll your feet on that. We never did try that though.

Her feet started acting up right before we went to Italy this summer and we went to the specialty shore store - the only style they sort of recommended that she would consider was birkenstocks but that worked. She wore them most days in Italy and we walked a lot without problems.
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. There are a few that I will be trying right away so thanks!
  • davish28
    Options
    I also have this. My feet are sooo flat. I try to never walk around barefoot it really makes my feet ache. I have been wearing the Sketchers tone up shoes around the house and they are so comfortable it has really helped. I tend to walk more on my heels and there is something about those tone up shoes that really help with my flat feet. I have worn the splints before they helped a little. Really the main thing with me is I always have to wear shoes with good heel and arch support. I hoped this helped.
  • gretchen132
    gretchen132 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also had plantar fasciitis and the only thing that helped was custom orthotics. I had injections, slant boards to stretch, stretching socks I slept in, drug store orthotics.... I was in agony for almost a year. I would suggest going to a reputable orthotics maker/ podiatrist who is experienced with this ailment and get orthotics made for you. I wear them in all shoes except dress shoes, and fortunately, I do not wear dress shoes often.
  • KAM1500
    KAM1500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had this problem about a year and a half ago. The doctor told me that I need to change my shoes more often. Now I buy tennis shoes about every 6 months. It is actually kind of sad because my workout shoes look new, but start to bother me and need to be replaced. I typically wash them and donate them for kids or to be recycled.

Two things that the doctor told me to do that was very helpful:
    1. Take a plastic pop bottle (16 or 20 ounce), fill with water and freeze. Then take it out and roll your foot over it.
    2. Take a towel and wrap is around the middle of your foot and press it toward the floor (like pushing on the gas pedal) and release.

Each person is different, but wanted to share.

Good Luck.
  • TuRboJamEVeRydaY
    TuRboJamEVeRydaY Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have had the same thing in the past! My Dr gave me a bunch of stretches that didnt work but help now that the intense pain is gone. What really worked for me is...I used a machine an elyptical at the gym and it really gave my feet a GREAT stretch. Took awhile to work but it did the trick for me. My feet were so bad, when i went to the Dr, I could barely walk and used a cane for awhile. I do Turbo Jam 5 days a week now, they still hurt from time to time but are not painful
  • FutureFormerFatGurl
    Options
    Poor dear..
    I'm a RN and I was miserable..
    What worked for me:
    Cortisone injections and Motrin
    Prescription Orthotics in my shoes or Dansko's at work
    Never ever wearing flip flops again..sigh..I wear Birks and my husband jokes that I look like I need a girlfriend...
    Oh and I never ever ever go barefoot.....even out of bed..I slide into shoes before walking..
    The stretches never really worked for me..
    Good luck..it will get better =)
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a dr tell me to freeze a bottle of water (about 3/4 full) and then roll it under my foot. This way it would get iced and get the "stretch" that was also needed. Good Luck!