First Powerlifting Meet

Options
I really want to do a power lifting meet. There's one about an hour away from me in September, so I figured that's about as best time as any.

I have been lifting for about 2 years. Most recent max's before Christmas were 185 squat, 145 dead, and I don't even mess with bench. I'll probably only sign up for squat or dead only in the meet. Don't really want to do a push/pull. I haven't maxed out in probably 6 months so I'm not even sure what my capability is right now.

Anyway, my question is for anyone that has done a powerlifting meet in the past- what advice do you have for a first timer? I'm going to try to continue to increase my max's from now until September with the accessory lifts, but I also don't really know anything about the pros and cons of going raw vs knee wraps, if I should drop weight to move to the next weight class, etc. So I'm looking for any and all advice that you may have to offer please!

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Bump! Please? Anyone? Maybe I'll just get my info from one of the groups on Powerlifting.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm heading into my 25th (I think) meet on Saturday so I have all the advice to give :smile: I'm also a referee.

First: I've never heard of a meet with only squat and deadlift. Typical variations on the three lift are bench only and push/pull. I've heard of deadlift only but only by looking through old results and records. Bench is the one that always seems to be around so you should learn to bench.

From now to September gives you plenty of time to train for a meet. Find out more about the one planned for September such as the federation. Learn that federations rules. Find out if you need to be a member of their fed and whether it's a sanctioned or 'fun' meet.

I wouldn't worry too much about what your numbers are. I'd train and make sure you know the rules. I compete in an IPF affiliate and there are quite a few technical rules that will cause a lifter to lose a lift even when everything else is fine. An example of that jumping the head referees signals.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just do it to have fun. i over thought my first meet and it went nothing like i hope, but it was still fun. dont worry about cutting weight for your first meet. just register for the class you are in as of now. most of them will give you the option to move up or down depending on what you weigh in at.
    like Julie said, work your bench, especially work on your pause so you don't red light. its all a part of the experience. give yourself a solid, but realistic goal to hit.
    definitely learn your federations rules, and one thing that might help is to watch some videos of past meets on youtube for your federation and get an idea of how things are judged. wait for ALL commands from the judges, and make sure you train to the proper depth for your squats.

But over all and most importantly HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone at my first meet were great to be around. you will get to watch some amazingly powerful people lift and it is very inspiring to make you want to work harder for your next meet.

as for wraps etc... if you don't train in them then i wouldn't worry about it. i just started using them for my upcoming meet in November and they definitely take some getting use to.

what federation is it and where is the meet located?
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    Here is the meet I'm trying to train for in PA. It has options for just doing certain lifts only or doing all of them.

http://www.revolutionpowerlifting.com/forms/2014CampusChaosEntry.pdf

The tips you offer are good advice! I will work to learn the rules and regulations for this federation and this meet.
  • xiamjackie
    Options
    Honestly, just do it to have fun. i over thought my first meet and it went nothing like i hope, but it was still fun. dont worry about cutting weight for your first meet. just register for the class you are in as of now. most of them will give you the option to move up or down depending on what you weigh in at.
    like Julie said, work your bench, especially work on your pause so you don't red light. its all a part of the experience. give yourself a solid, but realistic goal to hit.
    definitely learn your federations rules, and one thing that might help is to watch some videos of past meets on youtube for your federation and get an idea of how things are judged. wait for ALL commands from the judges, and make sure you train to the proper depth for your squats.

But over all and most importantly HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone at my first meet were great to be around. you will get to watch some amazingly powerful people lift and it is very inspiring to make you want to work harder for your next meet.

as for wraps etc... if you don't train in them then i wouldn't worry about it. i just started using them for my upcoming meet in November and they definitely take some getting use to.

what federation is it and where is the meet located?

It's in Bloomsburg PA, here is the link.

http://www.revolutionpowerlifting.com/forms/2014CampusChaosEntry.pdf

The only reason I chose this one is because it's closest.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned about the wraps. I don't train in them and I was worried that I should start using them or that I should be training in them for some reason.

But yes the main point is I do want to have fun! Not over think it and psych myself out, which I do very easily.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There is one in Philly on July 27th if you want to come watch- that will be my first meet- I started week one of my program on Monday.

You should do it- and just have fun with it- fck all what you're lifts are. Just go do it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Good luck to both of you, go kick some *kitten*!