Lifting and Cardio

Options
So.... Not to start a war... But what is everyone's opinion on the best way to get in shape. Lots of heavy lifting and little cardio (like lifting 5 times a week, 60-120 minutes hitting different body parts on diff days and then doing 15-30 minutes of cardio) or lots of cardio (like 60-90 minutes a day) and a little lifting (maybe 30-45 minutes 3 times a week).
Discuss.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    all depends on your definition of in shape. for me it would be the former
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That will all depend on your goals and what being in shape means to you.

I do a combination of lifting and cardio.

Cardio keeps me sane and lifting will help me stay strong so I can live independently when I am an old lady.

Looking good and being able to outrun the zombies is a bonus. :)
  • ice_fire_89
    Options
    In my opinion, whatever exercise or form of exercise you enjoy most or you could see becoming your passion. Something like that will be easier to stick with. It's "easier" to get in shape if you like what you are doing - fencing, running, walking, lifting - and the passion will keep you going. At least from my experience. I've tried P90X, Olympic lifting, group exercise, yoga videos, training for a half-marathon --- and fell off the wagon, because my only passion is lifting weights. At a gym. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are I think. The best way to get in shape would be doing an exercise you enjoy. I love to do both and just do my best to balance the two according to my goals.

I currently want to complete a half marathon in two hours or less.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. You'll need to provide more information to be honest.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to hear opinions. I eat a high protein diet and lift heavy with 15-30 minutes of cardio. To much cardio just burns the muscle your trying to build. I am trying to get Brock Lesnar big. Who needs to out run zombies when you can rip there heads off, hehehe.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So pick your goal shape and train towards your goal.
    If you want to be a cyclist that also lifts train like me - if you want to look like Brock Lesnar then train like him.

Not really seeing your point to be honest.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. As a general rule, I consider strength training, HIIT, and yoga to be a very well rounded fitness program.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was just starting a convo, no real point. :-)
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was just starting a convo, no real point. :-)

END THREAD
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you want to get strong then I would focus on a good strength training program that includes some plyometrics (power & speed) an anerobic cardio.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Your goals drive your workout as everyone here has stated. If you want to talk about health, I recommend a good balance between cardio, strength, and flexibility training.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I got in shape doing nothing but cardio. After having my baby and needing to lose weight again, I got in a different shape doing nothing but lifting.

Both are good, but now strength is a good side effect and is more practical for my day to day life.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I often wondered if maybe the fitness industry could be like an eatting establishment. As in one could come in, look at a "menu" of possiblities and then have a diet, exercise routine etc mapped out for you depending on one's choice. Instead, we seem to simply go in, tell the PT that we want to get toned or lose weight or gain muscle. Very generic.

In the future, I'd think they would be able to take sometype of genetic swab, put it in a computer and it's spit out what kind of potential you have in different areas...that is, is your body better suited to be like a swimmer, a long distance runner or a bodybuilder. I know they kind of have that potential now, but it's not cost effective for the normal joe.

I lost weight merely walking. I gain muscle by weightlifting. I"m getting lean by both cardio (to lose the extra fat) and weightlifting (to maintain what muscles I already have). So, depending where you are now and what you want to achieve will decide which is best.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Double post. tee hee
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A well rounded general fitness regimen is going to be split pretty equally. Also, I'd not really recommend doing a split if you are a newb to lifting...you're much better off doing a full body routine whether it's a "heavy" routine or not...it should also focus primarily on compound movements (whether it's a "heavy" routine or not).

I do a full body routine 3x weekly...my programming runs me through various cycles of actual strength training (low rep/high weight), hypertrophy work (moderate rep/moderate weight) and muscular endurance/metabolic work (low weight/high rep/high volume). Regardless of the rep ranges I'm doing compound lifts...just different forms...i.e. for strength I would do a traditional back squat...but during my endurance/metabolic work I do goblet squats or dumbbell squats.

Beyond that, I ride 4 times per week for a total of about 60 miles. When I'm actually training I decrease my weight training and increase my mileage...but only for that period of time when I'm training for an event. Afterwards, I go back to a more balanced fitness regimen.

I would suggest that you sit down and think about some fitness goals...this will help you determine what you should be doing and what volume of what is going to get you there. Generally speaking, cardio is going to improve your cardiovascular fitness and increase your overall endurance and stamina...it's weight lifting for your heart. Weight training or otherwise performing resistance work is going to change your overall body composition and improve your muscular skeletal structure.