Fitbit, Jawbone, or something else?

Options
I love gadgets, and my IPhone, I really want some sort of wristband tracker thingie. Does anyone use one of these and what do you recommend?

Replies

• 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Only used the fitbit flex. I don't think I could live without it. Love this thing :)
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex!
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love my jawbone, I think it is the best out there. I have been using it for almost a year. Will never give it up..
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and love it
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and it died this morning, like completely died and will no longer charge. I bought it as an upgrade from my Fitbit One. I have gone back to the One and I love it a lot more honestly. I think the Flex was also counting arm movements and little stuff like that. I feel that my One is a lot more accurate! Good luck, there are so many decisions out there, it's crazy :-)
  • izzybelle2013
    izzybelle2013 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am in the Market for a new treadmill. But there so many that. I would love some suggestions. Thanks
  • pluto2626
    pluto2626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have had the jawbone for about a year and a half and am now on my 8th one. Seems like something always malfunctions. There is a new band coming out called the Amiigo. I would strongly recommend looking into that one. The stuff it can do (IMO) is going to be the best on the market, only downside is it doesn't come out until August.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Honestly, end of 2014 - start of 2015 is going to be a boon for new, higher tech gadgets that measure a lot more perimeters other than movement and steps. I would wait.
  • jtw158
    jtw158 Posts: 7
    Options
    I had a Jawbone, it worked well for about 4 months then it would no longer charge. They mailed me a replacement and that worked for another month or so then that stopped charging and I was frustrated so I didn't bother getting another one.

I had a Withings tracker, which is a clip on thing, similar to the standard Fitbit, which worked well but I would keep forgetting to put it into sleep mode and I eventually lost it.

I currently have a Body Media armband which I have had for like 4 months and I love it. It automatically changes to sleep mode which is nice. You wear it on your upper arm. It has a comfortable strap and after a few weeks I don't notice I am wearing it.

I highly recommend the Body Media armband. Unless they improved their design or manufacturing I would steer away from the Jawbone, but it is always possible I just got bad units.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and I love it!
  • tonigarmin
    Options
    I use Garmin Novifit, doesn't have to be charged all the time (batteries good for about a year) and is waterproof !

Keep it on all the time, even swimming.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you're going for something general, something accurate, and if you really want the ability to sync a heart rate monitor for workouts.

Many people swear by Fitbit, but when I tested it, it wasn't completely accurate. It didn't count steps when I was pushing a shopping cart. Same for most of the others. I found this to be a huge drawback. On the other hand, Fitbit is the only one with the vibrating alarm which can be set to gently and silently wake you in the morning (great if you sleep with another person and have different waking times) or to alert you that you've been still too long. If you want something a bit more accurate which is still Fitbit, get one of the clip-ons. This can go on your waistband or bra strap or in a pocket, and being closer to your center of gravity, it doesn't rely on the movement of your arm, and can pick up steps while pushing or carrying things. But, I don't think they have the vibrate feature.

Polar Loop and Garmin Vivofit both allow you to sync up a chest strap heart rate monitor. However, as of yet, neither of them link to MFP.

Bodymedia is the most accurate, because it measures things other than just steps, like skin temp and moisture, so it knows how hard you're working. I understand you can also hook up a Garmin ant-based chest strap, but I haven't tried that. It links to MFP, Runkeeper, and some other apps. It has a great website which allows you to export Excel files with all of your info, so you can track your calorie deficit over a period of time, for example, minus 10,000 calories over three weeks. It's worn on the upper arm, so it can be covered with a sleeve, and it's closer to the center of gravity and doesn't just rely on arm movement, so it picks up the shopping cart steps. Its only drawback is that there is a $7 monthly subscription.

There's a bunch of newer ones out, or coming out soon, like the Amiigo, which looks really interesting. I suggest googling the crap out of "fitness tracker" and read some reviews, and pay attention to the differences in how they work. Some will only connect to newer phones which use Bluetooth Smart or Ant technology, so it matters how new your iPhone is. Some will have a screen or indicator lights so that you don't have to constantly look at your phone to see how you're doing. Some will allow you to set your own goals, some will not. Some will allow you to buy extra straps in different colors so you're not stuck with the never-ending piece of ugly jewelry.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A Shine by Misfit. Good underwater and can be worn on your shoe or wrist or clipped into your waist band.
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have tried Fitbit Flex, Fitbit One, and Fitbit Ultra (Cant buy new anymore). Honestly Fitbit One and Fitbit Ultra are the best of those for a couple of reasons...

1. Fitbit Flex (not sure about other wrist bands) does not count floors climbed...
    2. Fitbit Flex (and other wristbands) don't seem as accurate as they count arm movements not just walking.

As for Fitbit ONE vs Fitbit Ultra??? I prefer the Fitbit Ultra for the simple reason that I can attach it to a lanyard of sorts and I wont lose it that way. The Fitbit ONE has no place to clip a lanyard to it and I have lost 2 as a result. Sure the Fitbit ONE has a belt clip but it is held in by friction, nothing else.

The only advantage of a wristband that I can think of is ease of use for tracking sleep habits. They all track sleep, but the non-wristbands need to be put into a wristband while you sleep. I tracked my sleep for more than 6 months and still do off and on. Honestly I learned what I needed to know for now about my sleep habits so this doesn't bother me.

I personally will stay away from all wristbands for the reasons stated above. As for which is best? I don't know, but whatever you get make sure you have a way to attach it to your clothing so it doesn't get lost.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Polar Loop before you make your final decision; especially if you intend to add a Heart Rate Monitor in the future.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit and love it. You can wear a heart rate monitor chest strap with it to record other activities other then just step based. It has just recently integrated with MFP.

It's great because you dont have to charge it and waterproof. and It's a wrist strap.
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and I absolutely love it. I had the Flex but I sent it back because I just didn't like it on my wrist and there were other things about it I didn't like. I wear my Fitbit One every day.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Polar Loop and Garmin Vivofit both allow you to sync up a chest strap heart rate monitor. However, as of yet, neither of them link to MFP.

Garmin Vivofit JUST linked to MFP this morning!!!
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I currently have a Body Media armband which I have had for like 4 months and I love it. It automatically changes to sleep mode which is nice. You wear it on your upper arm. It has a comfortable strap and after a few weeks I don't notice I am wearing it.

I highly recommend the Body Media armband.

This!
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit Flex! :)