I need more calories. Any suggestions?

Options
I'm starting out on my diet today with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrates, and 20% fat. My calorie goal is 2400 and I just can't quite seem to really hit that. What group should I be looking to for the bigger calorie numbers? Any specific food suggestions?

Ps: I'm trying to stick to complex carbohydrates in the carb department and trying to stay away from breads.

Replies

• Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    Exclude potatoes from this--already got those down.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Seeing your food diary might help us to give you more specific advice. Right now it appears to be set to private. The general advice would be to get rid of anything "diet" or "low-cal" that you're eating and replace it with the full-calorie counterpart. Also, look for more calorie dense foods. Things like full-fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cheese, ice cream, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, dark chocolate, protein shakes and smoothies, steak, full calorie dressings and sauces, etc. can help add a lot of calories without adding a lot of extra food to your day.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Seeing your food diary might help us to give you more specific advice. Right now it appears to be set to private. The general advice would be to get rid of anything "diet" or "low-cal" that you're eating and replace it with the full-calorie counterpart. Also, look for more calorie dense foods. Things like full-fat dairy, Greek yogurt, cheese, ice cream, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, dark chocolate, protein shakes and smoothies, steak, full calorie dressings and sauces, etc. can help add a lot of calories without adding a lot of extra food to your day.

^^This! I used to eat a lot of fat free low cal stuff. Not anymore! I need the cals so I stay away from stuff like that.
  • Triplesget
    Triplesget Posts: 66
    Options
    I've added in things like milk and peanut butter, but I'm still shy 1700 calories and only have 9 grams of fat to go. I do still have 205 grams of carbohydrates and 176 grams of protein left to work with, though. I guess I sort of also need help finding more proteins and cabs to fill me up. I can try taking a look at some protein bars and shakes.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, and goal?
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Why are you excluding potatoes? What is your goal? (lose weight, build muscle, maintain weight) Do you truly know what your caloric maintenance is? I ask the third part because often times we sweat the small stuff (macro nutrients) way to early. Find out your caloric maintenance first. You can use a calculator to get an estimate or starting point. A great one is on acaloriecounter.com. That site is awesome. Eat that estimated maintenance for a complete 7 days and don't go over by much (Example 2500 calories). Did your weight stay the same as it is now? If so, eat 500 calories less per day for the next 7 days (Example 2000 calories). Did you lose a pound of weight? If so, now you have a caloric deficit and that's the ONLY thing you need to lose weight. Then from that amount of calories make up your macro profile. You don't have to do a 40\40\20 split. It's about preference on macros once you get the calories you need for a deficit. Start with protein, then fat, then fill in the rest of your calories with carbs once you start setting your macros. All this is only if your goal is to lose weight which is why I asked question number two. You could know all of this and I'm talking to you like a newbie. If so, my bad. Still answer question number one.
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    EAT CANDY!

In seriousness, nuts and avocados?!
  • lookaheadfcsus
    Options
    Butter for frying things. Better taste, good fat.

100% whole grain dark rye bread. Northern europe style. Good taste, easily gives full feeling, complex carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    First, consider lowering your protein and increasing your fat--maybe 30-30-40? I say that because your protein goal seems kind of high and lots of ways to meet protein are going to come with some fat. Of course, I say that not knowing your height or weight--it might be fine. How'd you decide on those macros.

Beyond that, you need calories, carbs, and protein. Try beans, lean meat, milk or other dairy, a protein shake, sweet potatoes, rice (brown if you prefer), whole grains, starchier vegetables like carrots, parsnips, turnips, winter squash.
  • Sha1911
    Sha1911 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to add some calories, just take a protein shake with some blended oats in there, loads of protein & carbs and less fat
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Beer! Ice cream. Cheese.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    avocados, trail mix, olive oil/other oils, cheese, granola...all add up quickly.