Maintenance cals without working out??

Options
What are some of your maintenance calories without working out? I cannot workout for a few weeks and dont want to overdue it.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just enter maintenance as a goal with your appropriate activity level. MFP is a NEAT method calculator...whatever your weight control goals are, your MFP calorie goal is without exercise if you are setting up your activity level properly.

My NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...aka non exercise maintenance calories are around 2350 give or take.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories without exercise is set at 1700.
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight when I was not working out because I can go without consuming extra calories! I would say stay within your MFP calorie range given and don't go over and you should be fine!
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the informatoin all!! I guess I did not realize that MFP calculates your calories, based on your goal, without excercise. I will look into it right now. thanks ya'll.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the informatoin all!! I guess I did not realize that MFP calculates your calories, based on your goal, without excercise. I will look into it right now. thanks ya'll.

Yes, you will note that when you set your activity level up (sedentary, light active, etc) the descriptors mention nothing about exercise...just what you do for a living...or you day to day general stuff (this is called your NEAT - Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). This is why you get calories to eat back when you log exercise...that activity is unaccounted for in your estimation of required calories...it is "extra" activity.

The exercise goals you set for yourself (i.e. workout 6 hours per week and burn XXX calories) has no bearing on your calorie goals...if you play around with it you'll see exactly what I mean.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options

those are estimates and can be completely different for you
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What are some of your maintenance calories without working out? I cannot workout for a few weeks and dont want to overdue it.
    Why don't you work out your average exercise calories from your own data and simply subtract that amount?
    Likely to be more useful than comparing yourself to others.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My maintenance without exercise is about 1750. 5'5" female, 122.4 lb.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Calculators will still only give you a rough estimate.

2K for me without any working out.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you put in your stats, set for 0 change, and it will give you your calories. Above and beyond your basic activity level, you have to add in exercise calories. You can't ask for someone else's levels - yours will be different.
  • jaxnjosh
    jaxnjosh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wonderful question bumping for responses. I have a pinched nerve and I cannot work out for 3 weeks. Im afraid that i will gain weight back and lose motivation. All of your responses are so helpful. Thank you :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and weigh 148. My non exercise maintenance calories are about 1850.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    For about a week I didn't work out . Granted it was only a week. But it was after my kettlebell competition and I was told to take it EASY. So I took that to heart and didn't do anything except play video games with my kids, rewatch all the seasons of Game of Thrones, and got hooked on Orange is the New Black...lol..

When I weighed in at my kettlebell comp I was 125... A week later with no activity I actually dropped to 123. Not trying to..but I think it's because I wasn't doing anything, thus my appetite wasn't huge.. I didn't eat alot. I ate pretty much around 1600-1800, lots of protein, the week I wasn't exercising. I also kept my carb consumption to mostly fruits and veggies.

I'm 5'3 by the way. I am sure now that i will start training again starting tomorrow, I will eat more,but for now it's enlightening and good to know that just by watching what I eat, I can maintain. But I still love exercise to make me strong and perform well. But now I know that if something happened where I couldn't work out, it's not the end of the world. I am still in control.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    1500ish :/
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My maintenance without exercise is 1700, but it will be different for everyone, depending on height, weight, etc. I'm 5'7", 130 pounds. and sedentary when I'm not exercising.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1750, I'm 5'7" 127lb.

I always drop weight when I stop exercise, the body holds on to water for repair, and there will be less food and waste in the gut, and less glycogen in the muscle.

I too am very comforted to know that if I had to stop training, things would stay under control. More comforted than the comfort eating I used to indulge in!

I worked out my own burn by plotting graphs and weighing every day and averaging every 7. I tend to plateau for a few weeks when I first cut, so to keep my sanity and not over cut I had to work this out, and I am really glad I did. Weight training recovery and repair tends to burn a fair number the next day too, so even my rest days can go up to 2000 without a fat gain.
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    You can loose weight without working out.. But it will only loose the watery part not totally the fats.. Fats needed to be burn by any kind of activity that will get you sweat alot.. :)
    You only need to workout like 3 times a week but if you want a fast result working out everyday is the thing
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You can loose weight without working out.. But it will only loose the watery part not totally the fats.. Fats needed to be burn by any kind of activity that will get you sweat alot.. :)
    You only need to workout like 3 times a week but if you want a fast result working out everyday is the thing

Wrong! Sorry.

You can lose fat by being in deficit and lying in bed all day. In fact that's probably better than doing high intensity sports when you're unfit and not fuelling correctly which will burn muscle.

Best way to lose fat? Slight deficit, low intensity exercise, or fuelled high intensity.

Heavy lifting will help to not lose muscle.
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    5'4 125lb 1620 cals before exercise. I'm set to sedentary.
  • joianett
    joianett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! MFP is showing my maint. as 1800 calories.