Stress Fracture / Plantar Fascitis

Options
So, I've been working out since December 2009 - had moderate success in loosing 45 lbs over the year, and really dedicated myself to a consistent workout every day. Try to do 60 minutes of cardio (treadmill, eliptical, bike) daily, along with weight training and working with a trainer 2 x week. Over the past two months, I've been limping because of the pain in the heel of my foot along with tweaking my knee during Zumba. The pain is very steady, and to the point where now I cannot do any weight bearing cardio - so limiting myself to the bike. I'm SO frustrated, and my weight loss has stopped. I've been told it could be stress fracture - but more likely plantar fascitis. (I just made an appt. today to see a podiatrist) Has anyone else experienced this issue, and how long before you were able to rebound and start again with the cardio???

Replies

• jenricher
    Options
    Your not going to like my answer. Mine lasted for a year. It was so frustrating. and it was actually bam gone one day.
    try to get cortizone shots if it is. it might speed up the healing process and allow you to work out though it.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad situation with planters fascitis about 3 or 4 yrs ago, I got myself a pair of Merrel shoes, I wore them for about a month and my planter facsitis went away! I think I was lucky but part of me thinks those shoes really helped! I was to have surgery for the planter facsitis and I had bone spurs in heels and some toes and I am in no pain and need no surgery now. I have lost about 30 pds and I'm sure that helped too. Be sure to get a second opinion! Try some new shoes, very healthy comfortable shoes for a while and see what happens. I could barely walk at my worst and was able to turn things around with the Merrel shoes, I swear by them! The basic Jungle Moch is what I got and the support was amazing! Good luck! Try at all costs to avoid surgery, it doesn't always turn out good:(
  • LdyInRed
    Options
    I tried those shoes that are suppose to work out your rear (makes you walk differently and might be putting stress on the heels) and such when you walk and I noticed the same thing! my heels, especially one more then the other was sooo sore, I could hardly bare any weight on it! I stopped wearing them and it went away. I feared the same thing, plantar fascitis or .... Make sure you have a good pair of shoes, and if you are using the shoes I mentioned, try not wearing them and see if it gets better. =)
  • yuletide7
    yuletide7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Could be a heel spur, doubt it is a stress fx, not the right spot. Go to a Sports Medicine Orthopedic vs a podiatrist.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Very simple question -- is the pain worst with the first step and gets better when you move around?
    If so, its likely plantar fascitis
    If it gets worse with increased activity, it is likely a stress fracture and needs to be examined...
    Sorry... :)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Very simple question -- is the pain worst with the first step and gets better when you move around?
    If so, its likely plantar fascitis
    If it gets worse with increased activity, it is likely a stress fracture and needs to be examined...
    Sorry... :)
    I thought it was getting better when I moved, but then the next morning I could hardly walk getting out of bed. Now it's steady pain and is not going away. Get's numb and throbs when I try treadmill.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Sorry I hate to tell you - but you need to see someone. Plantar fascitis pain generally is worst with the first step after sitting or lying, but gets better when you are on your feet more and gets better throughout the day.

Please get checked out before you really hurt yourself... a short time off now is nothing compared to a permanent injury!
  • DBubba65
    DBubba65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agree with Smarie. Usually with my planters faciatis it is very sore when you take your first step out of bed in the morning. I have remedied mine with the following, this is also a good way to determine if it is PF or stress fracture.

Have a massage from a LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist) - Have them work your feet as though you have PF. If they massage the arch of your foot from the ball of your heal up to the boney area of where your toes meet your foot and if you feel like there is glass or sand under the skin it is most likely PF. During this work I have found it to be slightly painful and it tickles a bit. My feet are sore immediately after and the next morning but by the second day I am better.

I have orthodics that I received from my orthopedic dr. These were a big help as they support the arch better. He also gave me a cortisone injection at the pain points in each arch and this has worked very well for me. Face it, if your feet hurt with load bearing cardio you avoid that exercise. If you dont exercise you plateau or worse yet gain weight. I'm willing to go that far to succeed.

See a good orthopedic Dr......

Dwain
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    I have had PF for years now...unfortunately it's not something that goes away, it lingers.

The best advice I was given:

1 - Go to an actual running store and get your stride/step/balance reviewed. They can analyze the way you run and provide the best shoe to wear. This helped me a lot.
    2 - BEFORE you step out of bed, roll your feet out. Put your feet on the side of the bed, but don't put your pressure in body weight on them. Start by rolling them out with a tennis ball. With improvement (hopefully), move to either a golf ball or a can of soup, it really does help! Good luck!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Could be a heel spur, doubt it is a stress fx, not the right spot. Go to a Sports Medicine Orthopedic vs a podiatrist.
    Will be heading to a sports medicine ortho next week. I did buy a new pair of running shoes and been wearing Merrells daily and much of the pain has resolved itself . Also using tennis ball and just rubbing it out seems to have helped. Appreciate all of the suggestions. :love:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    PF is usually worst on waking / first steps. Let's hope that's not it because it can take a long long time to come right for some people. My friend spent months sleeping with an aircast and having acupuncture into her plantar. :noway:

I doubt it's a stress fracture... More likely to be heel spurs.

Go have it checked out properly. :smile:
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi!

Everyone on here has give excellent advice!! :happy:

I too have PF and my chiro was working on the bottom of the foot for a while and it went away UNTIL NOW (I don't go to the chiro anymore)! I have found I can't wear anything apart from Birkenstocks but even they are not helping now - maybe too hard on the heel??

So, is a Sport Ortho better than a Podiatrist?? I was going to book the latter, now I have changed my mind. Mine doesn't go away during the day but I guess standing for a little bit and then walking again is the same as resting and then walking. I hobble like an old lady. :cry:

So glad you wrote about this cos its got me thinking I had better get it looked at before I can't walk at all.

:flowerforyou: