Achilles tendonitis and running

irishgal44
irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I found out back in May that I have achilles tendonitis on both sides. Physical therapy helped and I slowed down my running to 3 days per week...started running again in July and by end of August, they were hurting very badly...took 4 months off. I'm on my 3rd day of starting a slow routine back up and I am already sore on my right side. Does anyone else deal with this? My right side, my tendon creeks badly, especially when going up and down a stairs.

Anyone ever have surgery on them? Was it worth it? Also, are there any techniques you have learned personally in helping minimize the soreness after exercise?

TIA!!

Maria

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    I would try acupuncture. Surgery is a big step.
  • yuletide7
    yuletide7 Posts: 4 Member
    I have had many patients with this ongoing problem and the first thing I do is analyze their feet and gait pattern. If you have high or low arches and are not wearing the proper foot wear to support those, it could be a major issue. Do you have a store that specializes in running sneakers? They are usually a good option. You can try Spenco's Full Length Arch Support. They are way cheaper than orthotics and a good alternative. Also, where are you running? If you run on the road, make sure you switch your path or at least the direction you run. Most people don't notice it but roads have a tilt that can affect the health of your lower body. You should replace your running sneakers frequently. Stretch as much as possible and ICE immediately after running. The best option is an ice cup, fill a few dixie cups 3/4 with water and freeze. When ready to use, peel of the top of the cup and rub the area for 3-5 mins if you can tolerate it. Ice frequently throughout the day if you can. Good luck!
  • Yes, I have had the same problems. My daughter is working at a PT office and The only thing that has helped me is stretching with a band every day ten times for at least one minute. She also has me ice with straight up ice for 5 minutes. That means rubbing an ice cube right on your skin for 5 minutes. I also do it on the bottom of my foot too. It hurts for only a few seconds but you get used to it.
    I do that stretching before and after exercise and ice right after the stretching. One more thing, my doctor gave me heel splints. I can change them out to every shoe that I wear.
    Let me know if this helps you at all. My injuries are from tennis and boot camp.
  • irishgal44
    Yuletide...that is all the fun stuff I learned at physical therapy - the ice in the cup worked wonders. I was originally wearing the wrong kind of shoes for how I step on my feet. Now I have proper shoes. Maybe I should get insets for them as suggested? I currently run on the treadmill (MN and snow everywhere)...however, when I ran on the pavement, I ran different routes every time.

Thanks so much for all your info!
  • irishgal44
    Not sure if anyone will see this, but:
    Will the creeking ever go away? Or this this something I will have ot live with forever as a result of my injury?
  • irishgal44
    bump
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    I would see a sports medicine doc. Well worth the co-pay when you're dealing with your health. You don't want achilles tendon surgery if anything else can be done, that is a last resort.
  • yuletide7
    Did your PT try laser or GUS therapy or cross friction massage? Those can both be very helpful. The massage you can do at home, it will be painful but helpful to decrease the "bump" and the "creaking" (which is crepitus and is essential just the movement of gases in the tissues but with you is the inflammation). It certainly would help to see a Sports Med Ortho. He will likely give you a cortisone injection. They do not work for everyone but it may be enough to get your achilles to calm down for a while. That is the best time to do PT, but you may want to try it on your own for a while if you can. What did they tell you about your feet? I would try the Spencos ($25). I recommend them to most of my patients with unsupported arches. Did the PT give you any strengthening/stretching exercises for your arches? Do you wear high heel shoes regularly? Oh and if you do get a cortisone injection, be sure to ice as soon as you get home. This will help to keep the anti-inflammatory in the area where it's needed.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    I found PT for my achilles problem to be worthless, and a cortisone injection for it is not the best thing either. Under it all you need to find out what habit or abnormality is putting stress on your tendons. The sports med ortho will probably x-ray you and you may have developed some calicification (bone spurs). These aren't bad but would be contributing to the inflammation that is causing the pain. Orthotics (inserts) may alleviate some pain but in the long run will only contribute to the problem as they will encourage your tendon and calf to rest in a more contracted position.

I ended up having 2 factors, one of which I had to discover on my own. Firstly I needed to get proper shoes to correct for my over pronation (which was not a bother until I became active), my ortho did not discover this, a salesperson at a store that sells running shoes did. Secondly, after taking up running and stretching I found that the ankle related to my problem heel naturally turns outward, causing additional stress during physical activity (this I believe is from many many years of sitting with my feet tucked under me and around my chair at odd angles instead of flatly on the floor). So I began paying special attention with my stretching and slowly realigning my foot to a more neutral position (it's not fully there, maybe 75% so far).

My achilles heel pain only bothers me infrequently now, but I have to make sure I wear my running shoes with medial post support while doing any physical activity.

This is just my achilles tendon story and may not be similar to yours or anyone else's, but hopefully it will give you some things to consider.
  • irishgal44
    WOW, thanks so much for you thoughts and opinions!!!! I will send the last two responses an inbox message if that's ok..when I have time. That way you can see my response.

Thanks so much!
  • yuletide7
    Please, feel free to email me. I have a degree in Sports Med and worked in a Sports Med PT clinic for years. If I can help I will.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I am not a doctor. Most likely the problem lies in a combination of your footwear, and your form.

Go see a doctor definitely. Also, check out a GOOD running store. Have them analyze your form, measure your foot, and tell you what shoe is good for you. Shoes are tools, not fashion statements. Get what they suggest.

Another option is to check out barefoot running on a treadmill and see how it works. For a lot of people it significantly strengthens your foot and its component parts. It also forces you to use proper form because anything else is mind numbingly painful.
  • irishgal44
    I will send those emails later today, but have to say thanks again everyone!!!

When I started running 3 years ago, April, I was more concerned about good running shoes than look. Although I went to a good store that specializes in running shoes, no one explained to me that not everyone walks the same and there are different kinds of shoes for different people. Luckily, I must have picked the right shoe - they never gave me a problem. When I replaced them, I got the same brand, but they were shaped incorrectly according to how I step (according to my PT who looked at them). She showed me what I needed and I got the right shoe. So...I've been running on a really nice, expensive running shoe that is made for how I step ever since. My achilles are no where near as bad as when I ran with the wrong shoes.

3 other problems...I always stepped on my tip toes as a kid barefoot. I still catch myself doing it at times. So my PT said that was possibly part of my problem with my leg muscles??

I was always wearing an 8.5 size shoe...I found out when my feet were measured by a professional that my feet are a size 8. I think I possibly lost a .5 size while losing weight throughout the years and from running? So I'm wearing size 8 shoes now and my feet feel much better while running.

My other problem was that I was not stretching enough. Even though I thought I was, 20 seconds for each muscle area is not enough like I thought it was at the time.

Throughout all these learning processes I think I did a lot of damage. I'm really irritated because I'm pretty anal about making sure I am doing everything by the book...wish I would have realized all these things before starting running. Now whenever someone says they are going to start running, I tell them everything I've done wrong.

I have never tried barefoot running on the treadmill. Hmm....curious about that. Might have to give it a try.
This discussion has been closed.