TO FITBIT OR NOT TO FITBIT

Options
IrmaC94
IrmaC94 Posts: 39 Member
Hello,

I'm looking for a device that will track how many calories I burn, my heart rate and amount of time exercised without breaking the bank. Does anybody have suggestions? The fitbit brand is just too pricey for me right now.

Thanks!

Replies

• contrarymary7504
    contrarymary7504 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Fitbit does not track heart rate (BTW, I have a Fitbit One and love it). When I need to know my heart rate I have a Zephyr HXM. Comfortable chest strap and syncs to my smart phone.. It also will track calories, miles and steps. It isn't something I'd attempt to wear all day. Had a BodyBugg but the metal connectors blistered my skin.

I'd love to know what other gadgets folks suggest.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how close you want to track. I downloaded the free MapMyWalk app from the "APPS" section above because it syncs with MFP. Since I only eat back a portion of my exercise calories anyway, I decided not to spend a bunch of money of those gadgets right now.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I went down this same road myself when I started a year ago.

I bought a fitbit for normal daily tracking (walking, puttering around, etc).

I ended up using a Mio Alpha wrist mounted HRM linked via Bluetooth to my iPhone running Runkeeper for "exercise" activities.

Now I use a Garmin watch with ANT+ Mio Link, stride sensor and temperature sensor for my running and cycling. Still wear the fitbit for daily activity tracking.

You may have noticed that I am a nerd. YMMV.
  • IrmaC94
    Options
    I've been doing a class called Fierce, which involves lots calisthenics, I just started spinning, and pop into zumba here and there. I would really like to know how many calories I actually burn as opposed to how many I'm suppose to burn. I don't have an iPhone and am not sure how the App would help me track it since I don't have the phone on me during any of my work outs.

Thanks for the info, it helps me out!
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex! I'm walking and biking
    If I want to know my heart rate I just take my pulse
  • susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a polar heart rate monitor- it will be about 100 dollars but it will give you an accurate picture of calories burned and will last. I have had one for a year now and really like it...maybe look for it to go on sale at your local fitness store-like ****s or Sports Authority.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit one, and LOVE it... But it's not a heart rate monitor, it's a very high-tech pedometer that is really only good for measuring stride type movement. It's excellent for giving you your basic daily calorie expenditure to help with your base calorie goal (I have MFP set to sedentary, and let FitBit sync to give me my actual calorie goal for the day because some are much more active than others and I don't want to record all that supposed exercise).

I also have a Polar HRM for when I do dedicated cardio that the FitBit isn't likely to record. I just take it off and put it in "timer" mode, and do my workout with my HRM, and record that instead.

You can get a Polar FT4 for about 60-70 dollars.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Fitbit flex !
    vhpy.gif
  • jbucovetsky
    jbucovetsky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar Loop. Works pretty well, and can be used with a HR strap if you want.

http://www.polarloop.com
  • diahann63
    diahann63 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have to say I love this! And I agree, Fitbit Flex is awesome!
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    BonworthVonFattyPants Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of options - this is my first google hit:

http://www.quill.com/heart-rate-monitors-healthcare-medical/cbl/19758.html

Are any of these good? No idea but my point is that if your goal is heart rate and calorie *estimation* (which is all it is - even with heart rate info) - then there are options that are pretty affordable (under $50).
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    The higher end HRMs do offer some features but, depending on your use cases, you might not need them and a more reasonably priced one will do.
  • IrmaC94
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the feedback. I didn't realize there are so many affordable options and wasn't even sure what I was looking for existed. With that, I just ordered a FitBit Zip :flowerforyou:

Blessings to all of you!