Curves Work Out

Options
I am currently looking into joining Curves and I was wondering if anyone has been, or is currently, in Curves and if they could give me some feedback? Does it work? Currently my work out routine is basically nothing- I'm just starting out. But I'm a little skeptical as to what kind of results I'll see from a 30 minute work out. Plus I heard you have to sign a 1 year contract, and I guess that's why I want to make sure it's worth it before I sign up.

I have a consultation next week, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had an opinion. Thank you! :)

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I didn't try it but I looked into it when it was new. I know people who've liked it.

For me, the pros were it's pre-planned and short, so it's mindless and easy to fit in. And it's nearby and it's resistance training, which is important.

The cons were it's very beginnerish and half that time (if I understood my tour right) you're doing your own 'cardio' thing on a platform, which to me is awkward and not really worth me paying someone for, for 15 minutes of my 30 minute workout. I mean, I can march on a platform at home and do weights exercises in between.

I think people burn around 170-200 calories on average at Curves, which you can also burn by walking a couple miles. But if having a group to exercise with and a membership helps you do it, that can be priceless. But a full service gym might offer a lot more options and should also be fine for beginners.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking into joining Curves and I was wondering if anyone has been, or is currently, in Curves and if they could give me some feedback? Does it work? Currently my work out routine is basically nothing- I'm just starting out. But I'm a little skeptical as to what kind of results I'll see from a 30 minute work out. Plus I heard you have to sign a 1 year contract, and I guess that's why I want to make sure it's worth it before I sign up.

I have a consultation next week, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had an opinion. Thank you! :)

Before you join, check their hours. They tend to open later than most gyms, close for lunch, and close by 7:00 pm.
  • Melly105
    Melly105 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I did try curves a number of years ago and was not a big fan. My biggest complaints are you can't listen to your own music, and theirs was horrible, the machines are VERY repetitive, so it gets boring quick, and the one I attended did not have showers. I did have to sign a one year contact and I maybe used 3 months total of it. Hope this information helps you to make an informed decision.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago and really didn't care for it. The machines really don't give much resistance and if you get to a point to where you feel like you need more of a challenge on them there is no way to adjust them. I would look around at other gyms to see what they offer before making a commitment to Curves.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tried them when I was in junior high. I wasn't active, I was overweight and I was not very strong.

I almost lifted their machines off the ground entirely trying to get more resistance out of them. This was me when I couldn't do 10 push ups in a row.

I went three times before I got so intensely bored. In all honesty, I find it to be a waste of time and money. 30 minutes spent getting my sweat on even at home doing a fully bodyweight workout would give me more resistance, training and satisfaction than going through a random circle of "machines" with old ladies who wear pink wristbands and smile absently at me.

I want to be a strong woman, not a woman who is scared to lift more than 5lbs. I would recommend looking for other gyms - and also do your own reading and research. Be cautious of any sales pitches and don't fall for bad trainers who don't really listen to you.

I can't remember where to find any guides on how to pick a gym, but Google it and try to find some ideas about what to look for and what to avoid. Educate yourself and be a discerning consumer - you're taking the first step. It's nice to get it right the first time, but no matter what - no matter what you read here, or what you find, or who tells you what - take that first step and keep on stepping. :D
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I looked into it but didn't fancy it as it seemed quite limited with no scope to develop bits of fitness that you find you start enjoying and the calorie burn was way too low for my liking during my weight loss (it's on the MFP exercise database).

I understand that sociably it's great, but I just wanted some tougher and more flexible fitness challenges in the long term and thought it was quite expensive for what it was.

Go to the induction and take it from there. You might love it.
  • melissawilson61
    melissawilson61 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I went to curves for quite a few years. I did like it, however, you really need to work the machines. Plus when I joined they said just three times a week, ended up going at least five days a week. I found a friend there and we pushed each other to work hard, otherwise probably would have left sooner. Plus if they still use the smart key, I wouldn't rely on their calorie burn.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I have to be honest my neighbor invited me to come with her to Curves, they meet at Planet Fitness now (here) I passed on it for a few reasons, the main one is over the years I have known MANY who went on Curves and never looked like they lost anything, they were always the same, so I cannot see paying for something that doesn't seem to work at all. I can buy DVD's that are easy to learn and give me decent burns. I can join the YMCA and use their fitness rooms and workout in their pools. I'd say don't join find something else, a reasonable gym or equipment you can use.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Personally you could save your money and go to like a planet fitness
    they have the 30 min workout thing there in the corner usually...

but I wouldnt waste my time on it
    its boring
    awkward
    I felt like i did more walking around my block then i did there

but if you say get a membership at planet fitness what $10 a month you can use machines weights etc and throw in a 30min workout there in that section if you feel like it

i feel like a gym sales person now sorry... but Curves bothers me
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I tried it a long time ago.

It was boring. :yawn:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get a week tryout for free. There are often specials on for limited times so you don't have to sign up for a year just to try things for a bit to see if it fits your schedule. You DO have to work hard at it and really use the machines, but they also have the Jillian Michaels workout going on there and Zumba as well. Most of the people I've seen who didn't lose weight at Curves - also didn't eat properly or even work out very hard on the machines... I've done it as you can customize your workout for your health level at the time ie arthritis - bad days easy, work harder on good days, etc. You can even get a good HIIT session going so 30 minutes is not a downside.

Definitely do the tryout at first and go at a time you would normally like to workout as the social aspect can be important - you may want less people there so you can concentrate, or you might meet a bunch of ladies that you can become friends with.

edit: You do need to make sure you have a motivating coach who is helpful and knows her physiology. Not just some poor drudge who has been hired to man the desk. That's why I say try it out at a time you would normally go, or just go in & watch for 15 minutes to see how people interact with one another. If you are in a big town there may be more than one location. The good part is you can get a travel pass and your membership counts at any Curves around the world & there are a lot!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,846 Member
    Options
    I love Curves. I've been going three times a week since 2008. When I started, I couldn't even go around the circuit once without getting light-headed and needing to rest. Now I go at it HARD! I have made a bunch of friends at Curves. Even if you don't become a lifer like I am, it's a great place to start.

PS - Recently, Curves has added Jillian workouts with the circuit, and those are tough.

Whatever you decide, good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Curves, but my sister works at one. They changed things up this year. They still have the machines, which are similar to gym machines, but instead of just walking on the platform, there is a Jillian Michaels video demonstrating fairly intense body weight and cardio exercises for in-between. The exercises are supposed to change every month. So they are making an attempt to be more modern, but it is still 30 minutes and not a whole lot of variety. Some Curves locations do classes as well.

My take on any exercise is that you need to find what you like. If you like it and will DO it, then you will get results.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Love my 24 hour fitness, which is a full service gym. You can attend many classes, but most just do our own thing. I love me weights, no machines for me.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,610 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit more qualified to tell you about Curves than some here as I have been a member for the past 8 years. Like any gym, Curves has strengths and weaknesses. Some strong points are:

It can be very social if your open to that. I have made friends with a group there and now we get together for brunch about once per month.

They have just redesigned and stocked all new machines at my club and they are much more challenging.

They have started having Julian Michaels (DVD) lead classes. So that inbetween using the machines you can follow her very tough moves like planks, pushups, burpees and jumping jacks. They offer about 4 of these sessions/day.

They also offer a "body basics" class which is mostly yoga and stretching. All classes are optional.

They have private dressing rooms available.

They spend time teaching new members how to use the machines and also correct our form when we do the JM workouts.

There are all age groups there. There are not "little old ladies with pink wrist bands staring blankly at me".

You are not limited to a 30 minute session you can do as much time as you want. Nobody would care if you wanted to do a 2 hour session. It's up to you. And you can go 3 - 6 days a week, your choice.

The weak points:

Maybe its not a good fit for everyone, but that can be true of any gym.

I can't think of any others at least for me.

I walk there 3 days a week with a friend do the JM class and walk home for a round trip of 3 miles. I find the walk and class to be extremely challenging... My advise to you is at least check it out.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started out my journey to a more active life at Curves. I loved that it was only 30 minutes and I loved that it was repetative. I lost 8" in the first month I went. Then as I became more active and interested in new things I got bored. They did offer a Zumba and a Yoga Sculpt class that I loved, but eventually I decided it was too expensive for what I was getting out of it and I transitioned to an Anytime Fitness. I learned to fit exercise into my daily life and that means a lot in the long run.

I think Curves is a great place to get started, but if you have to sign a 1 year contract I would hesitate to recommend it.