Slept four hours..should I cut calories to compensate?

Options
2»

Replies

• IdcShrimp
    IdcShrimp Posts: 71
    Options
    Where in the actual hell did you read that sleeping less holds onto calories -_-

Some people these days.

Just think about what you actually typed

Um sorry am I not allowed to ask a question? Everyone in my family always told me that including my bio-obsessed sister so I just wanted to ask about the validity of that statement. I heard it had something to do with not getting enough cortisol...but I guess it would only affect you if you got three hours of sleep every night of your life or something. Idk, I'm no doctor, that's why I'm here. Your sass is just plain mean.

too little sleep (over time not one night) does impact cortisol - but not by you "getting too little," in fact the opposite. It stresses your system and stress RAISES cortisol levels, which in turn makes it harder to lose fat. But again it's a long-term thing :flowerforyou:

Hey thanks for actually being nice about my confusion lol, this helps a lot
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. I have also read lack of sleep can effect weight loss efforts but I think it is serious lack of sleep over a time, not one night.

But yeah you will probably feel low on energy and be tempted to reach for sugary snacks to perk you up, just stick to your usual calories and make sure you log.

Although you might be tired, a brisk walk can help you feel more awake and also give you some exercise calories to eat if you feel you need some extra food energy to get you through the day.

Oh crap I totally forgot to mention also I'm jus maintaining not losing either so maybe that changes it as well. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was still in weight loss mode. I just didn't want to somehow magically start gaining weight. In retrospect I feel like I'm being paranoid but it never hurts to ask my fellow myfitnesspal-ers
    in your other posts you say you want to gain And someone pointed put you were only 86 lb. so are you maintaining or gaining?
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am confused.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. I have also read lack of sleep can effect weight loss efforts but I think it is serious lack of sleep over a time, not one night.

But yeah you will probably feel low on energy and be tempted to reach for sugary snacks to perk you up, just stick to your usual calories and make sure you log.

Although you might be tired, a brisk walk can help you feel more awake and also give you some exercise calories to eat if you feel you need some extra food energy to get you through the day.

Oh crap I totally forgot to mention also I'm jus maintaining not losing either so maybe that changes it as well. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was still in weight loss mode. I just didn't want to somehow magically start gaining weight. In retrospect I feel like I'm being paranoid but it never hurts to ask my fellow myfitnesspal-ers
    in your other posts you say you want to gain And someone pointed put you were only 86 lb. so are you maintaining or gaining?
    In your other thread you said your 5 2" and wegh 86 pounds and are trying to gain weight. So with a BMI of less than 16 and your posts on the forum today I'm sorry but you really need to seek professional help.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Where in the actual hell did you read that sleeping less holds onto calories -_-

Some people these days.

Just think about what you actually typed

HAHAHAHAAAA

dying laughing over here...

seriously though... -________-
  • joelgriffiths
    joelgriffiths Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just eat your normal calories.

1 day is not going to make or break you
    1 day of unusual sleep is not going to affect your progress - it's chronic sleep deprivation that has an effect not a day's worth.
    +1

You're in this for the long haul. Frankly you will probably burn more calories today since you're moving around more than usual.

But really. Don't over-complicate this thing. Just track your calories and eat what MFP suggests for your goal.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you're 86 pounds, there's no reason for you ever to cut calories.

Full stop.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No. If anything you should add calories since you burn more while awake, assuming you weren't laying completely still. But try not to obsess about very trivial matters.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    After working a string of night shifts (4-5 hours of sleep vs my usual 7-8), I do notice the scale goes up slightly. I do not know why, but I usually see it go back down to normal after a good night's rest.

Whatever my anecdotal account may be, though, I think the most logical responses have already been said-- short term sleep deprivation will tempt you to overeat and long term deprivation raises cortisol levels, which may impact your ability to lose weight.

However, methinks you are also a troll.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Last night I was really excited for this movie coming out today and going out to eat with some friends I never see. As a result I fan girled til 2 am and woke up at 6:45 :( that's like a little more than four hours of sleep and I feel like crap now. I have a headache and my stomach hurts. But I just woke up naturally! It was like christmas. I read somewhere that if you get too little sleep you will retain all your calories and gain weight. Should I not eat half my calories today or something? Yesterday I got too MUCH sleep, if it makes a difference. I actually slept twelve hours last night lol.

You burned more calories in that 4 hours of sleep than you would spending 35 minutes on a treadmill. I wouldn't worry about cutting calories because of sleep.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You won't retain your calories magically if you don't sleep. However, you may notice you are hungrier on days you sleep less, so be more careful about how much you eat to make sure you don't overeat.
    I've never thought about being hungrier on days you sleep less.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

In your other thread you said your 5 2" and wegh 86 pounds and are trying to gain weight. So with a BMI of less than 16 and your posts on the forum today I'm sorry but you really need to seek professional help.

Homer_hedge.gif
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    At 5'2'' weighing 86 pounds, I'm guessing you're still at school. I'd suggest you get yourself an alarm clock. Just saying.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What am I reading
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Last night I was really excited for this movie coming out today and going out to eat with some friends I never see. As a result I fan girled til 2 am and woke up at 6:45 :( that's like a little more than four hours of sleep and I feel like crap now. I have a headache and my stomach hurts. But I just woke up naturally! It was like christmas. I read somewhere that if you get too little sleep you will retain all your calories and gain weight. Should I not eat half my calories today or something? Yesterday I got too MUCH sleep, if it makes a difference. I actually slept twelve hours last night lol.

A lot of people who have lifestyles that include chronic sleep deprivation make up for the lack of energy by eating, because extra calories provide the body with a very short lived increase in energy.....this can easily lead to snacking all day long and that if done in excess can lead to weight gain. But not getting any sleep, or little sleep every once in a while, even if you eat sugary snacks for that much needed energy, will not affect you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You won't retain your calories magically if you don't sleep. However, you may notice you are hungrier on days you sleep less, so be more careful about how much you eat to make sure you don't overeat.
    I've never thought about being hungrier on days you sleep less.
    Yup. Increased Grehlin hormone is responsible for that.

I find that personally, days where I've had a crappy sleep the night before are almost as bad as having a hangover for having the hungries and craving salty, fatty food.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    If you're 86 pounds, there's no reason for you ever to cut calories.

Full stop.
    End paragraph